Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Hi all, There has been discussion recently regarding using boards under MH wheels to prevent that sinking feeling & for driving away when on grass. Our MH's MTPLM is 3500Kg, & I have fitted the flexible yellow Grip Mats to what is called "solid grade" which is 10mm thick laminate & I know I will never sink with these under the wheels. But they are heavy, & wondered what thickness of ply would be required to use instead of the solid grade.

The boards (4) which measure 85cm x 30cm weigh in at an amazing 11Kg but they will never bend/break/rust/rot.

BeeJay

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have seen a lot of M.H`s with what I think is the base cut out of old bakers type bread bins,, They are fairly thick,, easy to rinse/wash of and fit neatly in a large black bin liner.

And because of the perforations are light.. :thumb:

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Cheers old-mo, I've heard of that idea before, also the similar fish trays used by trawlermen. But surely they must sag with the weight as the yellow Grip Mats do!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cheers old-mo, I've heard of that idea before, also the similar fish trays used by trawlermen. But surely they must sag with the weight as the yellow Grip Mats do!

The fish trays we use are only thin similar to the B&Q stacker type boxes,, so would bend easily.

Baker type trays have quite a thick base/bottom and would give you more grip especially when it comes to drive off a wet pitch, and you can have a few spare and make a sort of road out of them to get you moving.

If you do use solid put a bit of rope through a hole, so you can lift them a bit easier,, cos believe me they stick like a leach,,

I think even with inch thick ply or wood they will bend through the weight..

Test the ground before parking up, and park if possible on a high spot.. :thumb:

G

gibbo

Deleted User
Be careful, bakers trays carry a warning that thieves will be prosocuted. In other words the trays belong to the baker, no matter where you got them from.

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
If you do use solid put a bit of rope through a hole, so you can lift them a bit easier,, cos believe me they stick like a leach,,

I think even with inch thick ply or wood they will bend through the weight.

I already use your first suggestion, but the tape I have coupled to the boards is also coupled to the chassis behind the wheels, so the boards get dragged off until I get to firmer ground. I've just weighed a length of 13mm ply that would cut up into 4 to accept the grip mats, but that weighs in at 5.8Kg So using say two layers of that or as you suggested 1" thick ply, would result in the same weight as the "Solid Grade" boards that I have made up that need no maintenance.
I wouldn't have this problem to overcome if I hadn't had to part with my Spikes Spiders (previous posting) because with those, nothing would bog me down, but thinking about it, they were damned heavy too to cart around, so it looks like I'm staying with the SG boards & get SWMBO to cut down on her handbag content to save weight.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BeeJay :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as already mentioned, the bread trays are the best solution.

because of the area covered they dont really bend but if they do, a little, then does it really matter.
you have an open cross hatch pattern, usually a T section when viewed from the edge, which gives very good grip both under the tyres and on the grass so no slipping out when trying to move off.....unlike yellow gripmats.

Gibbo's warning about theft is a valid point but.....by the time you cut the sides off there should be no owners details left so who is going to prosecute.

i have 8 of them (4 bases cut in half) and never had to use them for self recovery but i do use them as level ramp bases.

if you do need to use them then simply lay them infront/behind each other and drive from 1st to last, then stop and move the ones just driven over back to the front/back.

could drive for miles like that and not get bogged down.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: You could also use the Plastic boxes used for Orange picking that are scattered around the Orange Groves here in SPAIN. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
:Cool: You could also use the Plastic boxes used for Orange picking that are scattered around the Orange Groves here in SPAIN. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What a good idea, as we are flying out to Cadiz on Monday. But it's with Ryan Air, so we are already paying for loo roll, water if it's in a glass, seat if we dare ask for one & an arm & a leg for the priviledge of using his plane. So the orange boxes can stay where they are.

Link Removed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Be careful, bakers trays carry a warning that thieves will be prosocuted. In other words the trays belong to the baker, no matter where you got them from.

Indeed....the Pillsbury dough boy is scouring the nations campsites as we speak!::bigsmile:

I cut 4 down with an angle grinder they are very strong and perfect for the job. read once someone suggested tying a bit of rope on to them (if only using on rear wheels) as you can drive awy and they will follow until you reach the road/firmer ground. as people pull of get out to retrieve them and sink.......

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Probably little risk of being caught by the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but theft is a serious point.

I phoned our local 'Fine Lady' bakery to see if I could acquire some old or slightly damaged trays for use under the wheels. Eventually I was put through to the Marketing Director who was very pleasant but said it would not be possible as they are very strict about enforcing ownership. Apparently all the bakeries are in a syndicate that employs security chaps to patrol likely sites of misuse. They are mostly looking for market traders and guys who steal and sell trays in bulk for plastic melt-down. But, you never know, they might turn up at a wet and windy show-ground or rally site one day!

Philip

p.s. I remember a similar practice in the meat products industry that I worked in many years ago. We used to send 'hit-squads' on dawn raids to likely places. Sounds extreme but it's true. Prosecution always followed a successful raid.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
I don't normally give legal advice, since before I retired I was paid to sell it!!

However, I think there's no need to get your knickers in a twist over the bread tray issue. For something to be "theft" there are two issues - what you do, and your state of mind in doing it. Now theft is 'permanently depriving the owner' of something, and, unless you personally borrowed Mr Hovis's tray from Mr Hovis's van, you cannot simply be prosecuted for having his tray in your possession.

Mr Hovis may have thrown the thing away, he may have sold it to a baker, etc etc. (In today's world, the receiver might have sold it.) So, unless it can be proved you came by it dishonestly you're OK - and I'll bet the whole story is an ubam myth which should now be forgotten.

Cheers - and thanks for a great welcome to vanning! Since we started, everyone has been incredibly helpful, starting with Johns Cross, where we said we wanted to learn, but not buy, and they spent almost a couple of hours talking us through all sort of matters. We've also been delighted by the flashers - it's just like the Frogeye Sprite community.

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
read once someone suggested tying a bit of rope on to them (if only using on rear wheels) as you can drive awy and they will follow until you reach the road/firmer ground. as people pull of get out to retrieve them and sink.......

C'mon Judgemental, keep up. See posts 4 & 6 :winky:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Bred trays

Found mine in the mud of the River Plym and doubt if the bakers wants it back.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
I don't get this.... ...where does it say in post 4 and 5 anything about tying them to the bumper and pulling them out and along.

Post#4 refers to tying rope to the boards, post #6 (my post) Quote, "I already use your first suggestion, but the tape I have coupled to the boards is also coupled to the chassis behind the wheels, so the boards get dragged off until I get to firmer ground."
unquote. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
I gave our local bakery a call to see if I could possibly have a couple of the bread trays, bearing in mind the warning in these threads regarding theft of these items.

Well I've just come back from there with 4 heavy duty trays which will, I hope, do the trick.
Whilst we were walking through the bakery, I spotted the trays that they use for the ovens. They are very thick, tough nylon/plastic type material, the base of which resembles rows of inverted angle-iron, app half inch in depth. He said that he couldn't let me have any of those, as they are very expensive. He also said that they "lose" on average 1500 of the ordinary delivery trays, hence the stamping on the sides of them.

The ones he gave me were "foreigners" that had turned up, & suggested that as I was going to remove the sides, there wouldn't be a problem. A very helpful chap, considering he had just finished a 12hr nightshift, & the place was spotless.

BeeJay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back