Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Doesn't need to they have the power:)......like it or not!!!
'Power' this, 'Power' that........Sod them. What they going to do if you don't stop, cut your nads off??? Far too much of this 'power' tripe these days. (y)

And anyway, if they want something CONSTRUCTIVE to do, then they could get a grip of all these Polish lorries with unused tacho's, drivers without licences, and wearing bald tyres, plus burning industrial derv. Picking on UK registered motorhomes is petty, a complete waste of taxpayers money, and irrelevant.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
'Power' this, 'Power' that........Sod them. What they going to do if you don't stop, cut your nads off??? Far too much of this 'power' tripe these days. (y)

And anyway, if they want something CONSTRUCTIVE to do, then they could get a grip of all these Polish lorries with unused tacho's, drivers without licences, and wearing bald tyres, plus burning industrial derv. Picking on UK registered motorhomes is petty, a complete waste of taxpayers money, and irrelevant.

Pulling overloaded Mini buses Full of "Followers of the Prophet" travelling between London and Leicester Might be a USEFUL use of their Time too? 16+ in a 12 seater?.

Ah!, But then that might be perceived as Racist?. No lets go back to picking on taxpayers!

Pete

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp

Well said, is it only northerners who have the b***s to argue the case? Not if there cut off!!!.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
“(A1) A stopping officer may direct the driver of a vehicle to stop the vehicle for the purpose of it being weighed under section 78 if the vehicle appears to the officer to be one to which subsection (A2) could apply.

(A2) This subsection applies to—

(a)motor vehicles in categories M2 and M3 and their trailers in category O;

(b)motor vehicles in categories N2 and N3 and their trailers in categories O3 and O4,

None of which applies to private cars & motorhomes.

Quite right. No different to a Itinerant . Could be anyone.

Which may be correct, my experience of VOSA has been with commercial vehicles, I did not like it when these powers were introduced for the reasons stated by you and others but we have what we have.

Where does it say or imply that a police officer must be used, the whole point of the legislation was to give VOSA the power to stop vehicles without a police officer.

If I am approaching a known VOSA (DVSA ) checkpoint and am pulled in by a VOSA(DVSA) marked vehicle then I will comply no matter what vehicle I am in. Rest assured that non compliance will result in more hassle than compliance.....I like an easy stress free life:)

In other circumstances I would assess the risk and act accordingly.

I do not think that the powers to stop vehicles given to VOSA would have been allowed to lapse when the two agencies merged, indeed VOSA may still exist under the umbrella of DVSA.[/QUOTE]

For the record, I was pulled in at South Mimms - waved into the HGV area by a copper and dealt with by DVSA. Had to show them the weight plate to demonstrate it was a 4 tonne van, and smugly underweight by over 300 kilos at least 200 on each axle....... After that they were more interested in the racing dinghy I was towing as one of them sailed. Oddly, they never weighed the trailer

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If I am approaching a known VOSA (DVSA ) checkpoint and am pulled in by a VOSA(DVSA) marked vehicle then I will comply no matter what vehicle I am in. Rest assured that non compliance will result in more hassle than compliance.....I like an easy stress free life:)
What are you, a Dux or a mouse?? More hassle my purple thingie. Where would this country, this great race of people, have been if they had always taken your approach of eating cheese?? :cry::cry:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
They only have the power, without a police officer, to stop vehicles in the groups shown; none of which are private cars & motorhomes which come under M1 , mainly.
To stop these they have to use a police officer to do the stopping otherwise it is illegal.
It's not illegal. For it to be illegal there would have to be an offence and there isn't. As with unmarked police cars and plain clothes officers .. if you don't stop it's not an offence but it's not illegal for them to ask you to stop. With dvsa though it might be prudent to weigh up the circumstances so as not to escalate a situation.

Deleted User
What are you, a Dux or a mouse?? More hassle my purple thingie. Where would this country, this great race of people, have been if they had always taken your approach of eating cheese?? :cry::cry:

"If I am approaching a known VOSA (DVSA ) checkpoint and am pulled in by a VOSA(DVSA) marked vehicle then I will comply no matter what vehicle I am in. Rest assured that non compliance will result in more hassle than compliance.....I like an easy stress free life:)"

That was @DuxDeluxe quoting me.

I stand by that despite your mistaken slur on my racial provenance:LOL:

How did you survive in the army with your unhealthy attitude to authority.......or where you the authority:)

I am with you on the powers thing, never liked being ordered about myself, and would stand up and be counted if I thought the cause was worth it but in this case even though I would undoubtedly remain in possession of my nads the powers that be would more than likely chastise me with some suitable punishment to cause me more hassle than the minor inconvenience of a few minutes of my time having a suitably civil interaction with the nice empowered DVSA officer:)(y)

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I've been driving PCV vehicles for over 25 years for various large companies and whenever VOSA are going to do an inspection they tell the company in advance. The result being the companies leave a few dodgy vehicles in the yard with DO not move plates displayed in the windscreens and the rest are either out in service or parked up somewhere out of the way .
Their attitude seems to me similar to the other government departments that are supposed to do inspections ie care homes ,schools etc leave the big boys alone and pick on the small fry, for a quite cushy well paid life.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That was Matamoros post - but I do agree with it

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
How did you survive in the army with your unhealthy attitude to authority.......or where you the authority:)
Allow me to explain. My attitude to 'authority' is shaped into two perspectives. Those that are not only legal, but make common sense, and those that are trumped up and pretend to be legal, and make no sense. Allow me to bore you with just two examples.
A British Army Officer, like a police officer, carries The Queens Warrant. The first is legally entitled to give orders to soldiers of a lower rank, and expects to be obeyed, however, sometimes the common sense aspect creeps in, and the orders can be circumnavigated within the rules. Likewise as with a police officer. He is entitled, and legally allowed, to signal motor vehicles to stop, but just where they stop is also a matter of common sense.
A person pretending to be a police officer stands on a very thin legal ledge to start with, and so demands a grading of having 'no sense', which can be ignored, which I as a person regularly do. And so, I don't stop in the streets when questioned by the fleet of 'pretend policemen' who now strut around as though they are real officers, nor do I stop for dog wardens, so called council 'enforcement officers', or any others of their ilk. You want to play real policeman?? Then bu**er off to truncheon school for a year or so, and don't try and impress me with a dayglo jacket. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We were pulled over and weighed on the A38 just south of Exeter a few years ago.

The m/h was new to us and we were travelling to Plymouth to catch the ferry. I was cruising on the dual carriageway at around 56-58 mph when a Policeman in uniform stepped out into the road and held his hand up.

I managed to stop without running him over!:confused:

We passed the weight check OK but, on site that evening, we decided to go for a walk. On setting the alarm it went off immediately. Resetting had the same effect. On checking, we found that they had broken the micro switch on the bonnet alarm when checking the plate.

Frantic trip into Plymouth the next morning to find a replacement before the ferry sailed.

Deleted User
Allow me to explain. My attitude to 'authority' is shaped into two perspectives. Those that are not only legal, but make common sense, and those that are trumped up and pretend to be legal, and make no sense. Allow me to bore you with just two examples.
A British Army Officer, like a police officer, carries The Queens Warrant. The first is legally entitled to give orders to soldiers of a lower rank, and expects to be obeyed, however, sometimes the common sense aspect creeps in, and the orders can be circumnavigated within the rules. Likewise as with a police officer. He is entitled, and legally allowed, to signal motor vehicles to stop, but just where they stop is also a matter of common sense.
A person pretending to be a police officer stands on a very thin legal ledge to start with, and so demands a grading of having 'no sense', which can be ignored, which I as a person regularly do. And so, I don't stop in the streets when questioned by the fleet of 'pretend policemen' who now strut around as though they are real officers, nor do I stop for dog wardens, so called council 'enforcement officers', or any others of their ilk. You want to play real policeman?? Then bu**er off to truncheon school for a year or so, and don't try and impress me with a dayglo jacket. :)

I wish you well with your attitude to rules etc but the point is that DVSA officers are not 'pretend policemen' they also have been given authority to stop vehicles and carry out there duties, I see only problems in ignoring them.

Right or wrong we have to live with it....or not in your case:)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I am in agreement with Tootles. With so many different 'authorities' having so many different powers, how are we expected to know who's allowed to do what? With local Chief Constables having authority to designate different classes of power to different classes of employee it's impossible to tell where you are. Add in the, not unknown, possibility of ne'er do wells committing crime by impersonating those employees and I would be most reluctant to stop if the situation looked iffy.

When all police officers held the Office of Constable, the legislation was relatively simple and everyone understood that Constables had powers. Now it's a mishmash that I, for one, don't understand. (Even though I once held that Office and I haven't been gone that long.)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Seems a bit wrong giving it a 'like' Toots.:(
Not at all Gus, it is funny. (y)(y) The problem today is that 'dark humour' has no place in the PC world we live in. When one of the lads got the chop in Northern Ireland, we all used to take the '**s out of his memory, it was a coping strategy I have never forgotten to this day. (y)
And it's helping me to cope with present stuff in a big way, so no, nice one Mat. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back