Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
And whereabouts would that be please, hope it's not to far away from me, my local council one, won't do the job properly, and the one I have used is in a scrappers, don't like the idea of all those bits of metal in my tyres, what a mess it was, but hey they're doing their job so no complaints.
The one we use is at Brandsburton,but if you google weigh bridges I'm sure you'll find one closer.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If I am lucky enough to get to the ripe old age of ** I wont care about weight or a lot of other things apart from waking up in the next morning and thinking you still have not got me you ******* :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would like to know the toleranceof these weighbridges.
Where I worked we had a customs certified weighbridge there was always a + or - tolerance even though certified!
Can't remember (oldfartitis) if it was 3% either way or .3%
Someone posted on a recent thread that it was 150kgs ?

What happens if you are overweight, is there a leeway?
Yes.
GRADUATION OF FIXED PENALTY NOTICES
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%
Prosecute over 30% or over 5 tonnes on axle, gross or train if under 30%

No points, not endorsable.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I would like to know the toleranceof these weighbridges.
Where I worked we had a customs certified weighbridge there was always a + or - tolerance even though certified!
Can't remember (oldfartitis) if it was 3% either way or .3%
It's Trading Standards that certify weighbridges for enforcement or trading purposes. The tolerances for enforcement purposes 5% or a tonne to take account of the legal defence for overweight. The tolerances are significantly less though when it actually comes to calibrating the bridge.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is a free Trading Standards beam axle weighbridge just off the M62/621 junction at Morley which can't be too far from you, think it is also available 24hrs.
Beware if planning to visit out of office hours, it has been known to have tripped out as I found out one Sunday afternoon resulting in a wasted journey.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought only a POLICE OFFICER in uniform could stop you on the road, DVSA?? run 'em over if they try?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I thought only a POLICE OFFICER in uniform could stop you on the road, DVSA?? run 'em over if they try?
DVSA also have powers to stop vehicles for checking as far as I know

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Powers to stop vehicles[edit]
Under the Police Reform Act 2002, section 41 and Schedule 5,[6] Chief Constables could grant powers (under a Community Safety Accreditation Scheme) to VOSA officers to stop vehicles, for checks on vehicle and driver compliance without the need for police support (later expanded to stop any vehicle, although mainly goods and passenger carrying vehicles). At that time, only police officers had the power to stop vehicles and therefore had to be present. The powers were piloted in 2003 and brought more widely into force in 2004.[7]

Following a consultation in July 2010,[8] the law was overhauled in 2011 to grant VOSA officers the power to stop vehicles without relying on police approval through Community Safety Accreditation Schemes as above. This also allowed VOSA officers to stop vehicles in Scotland, as well as in England and Wales as previously. The amendment, which was made by the Road Vehicles (Powers to Stop) Regulations 2011, allows "stopping officers" approved by the Department for Transport to stop vehicles for certain reasons.[9]

To be appointed as a stopping officer, a person must:[9]

• be a suitable person to exercise the powers of a stopping officer,
  • be capable of effectively exercising their powers, and
  • have received adequate training for the exercise of their powers.
Officers must be in uniform to stop vehicles.[9] Impersonating or obstructing stopping officers is an offence.[9]

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Officers must be in uniform to stop vehicles.[9] Impersonating or obstructing stopping officers is an offence.[9]
And so, how would you know just who a 'stopping officer' is, if it wasn't a police officer in uniform?? I wouldn't stop if it wasn't a bobby. It could be anyone pretending to be a 'stopping officer'. How would you know??? Maybe they have tyre tread marks up their backs?? :Eeek:

my-tat-tm.jpg

Deleted User
And so, how would you know just who a 'stopping officer' is, if it wasn't a police officer in uniform?? I wouldn't stop if it wasn't a bobby. It could be anyone pretending to be a 'stopping officer'. How would you know??? Maybe they have tyre tread marks up their backs?? :Eeek:

View attachment 98392

You would get in bother then, whether we like it or not VOSA (DVSA) have the right to stop vehicles.

When these powers were introduced the road haulage industry voiced serious misgivings about security and lots of drivers carried signs saying they would follow the officer to the nearest police station.

As far as I know they always use a well signed vehicle with blue lights to pull vehicles in, the only time that I would stop for a uniformed officer not in a signed vehicle would be in one of the well signed checkpoints on major roads.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You would get in bother then, whether we like it or not VOSA (DVSA) have the right to stop vehicles.
Well, I think I would risk the 'bother'. No way would I stop for anyone other then a uniformed police officer. Two years ago, I refused to stop for an unmarked police car, I just drove to the local nick, and stopped there. The (now found to be genuine) police officers fully understood.
Any goon can buy a blue light and stick it onto an unmarked car or van. (y)

http://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/pages/Emergency-Vehicle-Products.html

OP
OP
Kybod
Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
In case there was any doubt, it was a police officer in uniform in a patrol car that got me to follow him to the weighbridge. Whether there were other agencies involved once there i couldn't tell you.
Mike

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I seem to remember dvsa only have orange beacons. I do not know if, legally you are required to stop for them. However if you don't stop they will ask the police to stop you and then you are well and truly shafted.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
However if you don't stop they will ask the police to stop you and then you are well and truly shafted.
Why?? o_O If you stopped for every orange beacon you saw, you would never get past the first pedestrian crossing.

Deleted User
I seem to remember dvsa only have orange beacons. I do not know if, legally you are required to stop for them. However if you don't stop they will ask the police to stop you and then you are well and truly shafted.

No, blue lights and they do have the power to stop, see Landy lovers post.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They can have the power to part the Red Sea, but how do they stop you? Shoot out your tyres.....:)

Example. Man in dayglo waistcoat raises his hand at the side of the road.....And you thoughtfully wave back as you change up into third.......(y)

My question still stands. If the person who is not a police officer in uniform tries to stop you on the highway, how do you know that they have the right to stop you? You stop?? Then they rob you?? This happens all the time in parts of Europe.

Deleted User
Well, I think I would risk the 'bother'. No way would I stop for anyone other then a uniformed police officer. Two years ago, I refused to stop for an unmarked police car, I just drove to the local nick, and stopped there. The (now found to be genuine) police officers fully understood.
Any goon can buy a blue light and stick it onto an unmarked car or van. (y)

http://responsevehiclelighting.co.uk/pages/Emergency-Vehicle-Products.html

Many moons ago my wife worked as a District( Community) Nurse on nights, as the title suggests this involved driving around at night in the various areas of Rochdale, Middleton, Heywood and occasionally into parts of Manchester.

The local health authority had ceased to provide vehicles and my wife used our bright red Bedford Midi van. One night in the early hours an unmarked police car attempted to stop them, there were always two of them at night, by flashing headlights and then pulling alongside and waving a police hat. Needless to say my wife did not stop, this induced the police to perform a dangerous stopping manoeuvre and my wife to give the police officers a severe tongue lashing....not a pleasant experience.

On another occasion she became aware of being followed and decided to head for the police station by a circuitous route but did not make it as she was surrounded by police cars in a scene reminiscent of The Sweeney.

The police had prior notification of the vehicles that the District Nurses used at night.

Like you I would be very reluctant to stop for any unmarked vehicle regardless of how many blue lights it had.

DVSA vehicles are very clearly marked.

Deleted User
They can have the power to part the Red Sea, but how do they stop you? Shoot out your tyres.....:)

Example. Man in dayglo waistcoat raises his hand at the side of the road.....And you thoughtfully wave back as you change up into third.......(y)

My question still stands. If the person who is not a police officer in uniform tries to stop you on the highway, how do you know that they have the right to stop you? You stop?? Then they rob you?? This happens all the time in parts of Europe.

I am not disagreeing with you but taken to it's logical conclusion how do you know that a uniformed police officer is genuine. Every scenario is different and I would not stop for an unmarked vehicle or anyone at the side of the road in what I would consider to be a risky situation.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
DVSA vehicles are very clearly marked.
Yes they are.....Here's one........(y)

dvs.jpg

Looking...............Looking...........No, it dosent say POLICE :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Powers to stop vehicles[edit]
Under the Police Reform Act 2002, section 41 and Schedule 5,[6] Chief Constables could grant powers (under a Community Safety Accreditation Scheme) to VOSA officers to stop vehicles, for checks on vehicle and driver compliance without the need for police support (later expanded to stop any vehicle, although mainly goods and passenger carrying vehicles). At that time, only police officers had the power to stop vehicles and therefore had to be present. The powers were piloted in 2003 and brought more widely into force in 2004.[7]

Following a consultation in July 2010,[8] the law was overhauled in 2011 to grant VOSA officers the power to stop vehicles without relying on police approval through Community Safety Accreditation Schemes as above. This also allowed VOSA officers to stop vehicles in Scotland, as well as in England and Wales as previously. The amendment, which was made by the Road Vehicles (Powers to Stop) Regulations 2011, allows "stopping officers" approved by the Department for Transport to stop vehicles for certain reasons.[9]

To be appointed as a stopping officer, a person must:[9]

• be a suitable person to exercise the powers of a stopping officer,
  • be capable of effectively exercising their powers, and
  • have received adequate training for the exercise of their powers.

This does not apply to cars & motorhomes but commercial vehicles In groups M2 & M3 with/without trailers. Additionally it states 'VOSA' , which doesn't exist anymore so unless they've re-done the legislation change to DVSA it isn't legal.
Additionally they still appear not to be able to stop you unless using a police officer.

Which only applies to Hgv's/commercial & vans in M2 & M· + with trailers.[/QUOTE]

“(A1) A stopping officer may direct the driver of a vehicle to stop the vehicle for the purpose of it being weighed under section 78 if the vehicle appears to the officer to be one to which subsection (A2) could apply.

(A2) This subsection applies to—

(a)motor vehicles in categories M2 and M3 and their trailers in category O;

(b)motor vehicles in categories N2 and N3 and their trailers in categories O3 and O4,

None of which applies to private cars & motorhomes.

Yes they are.....Here's one........(y)

View attachment 98418

Looking...............Looking...........No, it dosent say POLICE :)

Quite right. No different to a Itinerant . Could be anyone.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And just throw fat into the fire literally.
Fire Brigade Officers have the authority under the Fire Brigades Act 1947 to stop traffic.

If you don't stop they'll turn the hoses on you.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am not disagreeing with you but taken to it's logical conclusion how do you know that a uniformed police officer is genuine.
Well, the chances of someone going to the trouble of dressing up as a genuine police officer and standing at the side of the road is pretty slim......It would only take a real policeman to be passing.....But a guy in a dayglo vest or coat?? Every road repair gang wears them, as well as people stealing contractors plant.

Some years ago, A guy did his motorbike up to look like a police bike, (and himself as well). He wasn't a risk, just a nut, but hey, thousands stopped for him. He could have been a rapist, robber, or even a Home Secretary, but fortunately he was harmless.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/18/polic...niforms-badges-and-handcuffs-on-ebay-5760311/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-29546229

Broken Link Removed

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And just throw fat into the fire literally.
Fire Brigade Officers have the authority under the Fire Brigades Act 1947 to stop traffic.

If you don't stop they'll turn the hoses on you.
And here's more stuff they can do.........

Section 20 will enable fire and rescue authorities to continue to provide a response to incidents at sea and under the sea

:Eeek::Eeek:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
What happens if you are overweight, is there a leeway?

Over the leeway, you have to discard the excess before you are allowed to proceed. If over on one axle and under on the other then a shift on the load may be allowed. Other than that, loose water, call om someone to collect the overweight items, or discard them at the station.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Over the leeway, you have to discard the excess before you are allowed to proceed. If over on one axle and under on the other then a shift on the load may be allowed. Other than that, loose water, call om someone to collect the overweight items, or discard them at the station.
So, in theory, you could leave the wife behind??? o_O

And how many times would you expect having to drive past before they pulled you in for a check? To many, and she might catch on........:(

Deleted User
This does not apply to cars & motorhomes but commercial vehicles In groups M2 & M3 with/without trailers. Additionally it states 'VOSA' , which doesn't exist anymore so unless they've re-done the legislation change to DVSA it isn't legal.
Additionally they still appear not to be able to stop you unless using a police officer.

Which only applies to Hgv's/commercial & vans in M2 & M· + with trailers.

“(A1) A stopping officer may direct the driver of a vehicle to stop the vehicle for the purpose of it being weighed under section 78 if the vehicle appears to the officer to be one to which subsection (A2) could apply.

(A2) This subsection applies to—

(a)motor vehicles in categories M2 and M3 and their trailers in category O;

(b)motor vehicles in categories N2 and N3 and their trailers in categories O3 and O4,

None of which applies to private cars & motorhomes.

Quite right. No different to a Itinerant . Could be anyone.[/QUOTE]

Which may be correct, my experience of VOSA has been with commercial vehicles, I did not like it when these powers were introduced for the reasons stated by you and others but we have what we have.

Where does it say or imply that a police officer must be used, the whole point of the legislation was to give VOSA the power to stop vehicles without a police officer.

If I am approaching a known VOSA (DVSA ) checkpoint and am pulled in by a VOSA(DVSA) marked vehicle then I will comply no matter what vehicle I am in. Rest assured that non compliance will result in more hassle than compliance.....I like an easy stress free life:)

In other circumstances I would assess the risk and act accordingly.

I do not think that the powers to stop vehicles given to VOSA would have been allowed to lapse when the two agencies merged, indeed VOSA may still exist under the umbrella of DVSA.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
“(A
Which may be correct, my experience of VOSA has been with commercial vehicles, I did not like it when these powers were introduced for the reasons stated by you and others but we have what we have.

Where does it say or imply that a police officer must be used, the whole point of the legislation was to give VOSA the power to stop vehicles without a police officer.

If I am approaching a known VOSA (DVSA ) checkpoint and am pulled in by a VOSA(DVSA) marked vehicle then I will comply no matter what vehicle I am in. Rest assured that non compliance will result in more hassle than compliance.....I like an easy stress free life:)

In other circumstances I would assess the risk and act accordingly.

I do not think that the powers to stop vehicles given to VOSA would have been allowed to lapse when the two agencies merged, indeed VOSA may still exist under the umbrella of DVSA.

They only have the power, without a police officer, to stop vehicles in the groups shown; none of which are private cars & motorhomes which come under M1 , mainly.
To stop these they have to use a police officer to do the stopping otherwise it is illegal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back