Weight plate info needed (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just been on to the forestry commission depot and booked the van in for plate MOT
It is a type 7 MOT and will cost £55.00 and is going in on Wednesday morning.

As the van would have had to have its first MOT at the beginning of April anyway ( £40 ? ) this not really a hardship AND of course I will getthat few bob back from the VEL ::bigsmile: !

Will let you know how it gets on

nothing should have changed....
why the price difference ?
you must have got it discounted before ...

look under class 4...motor caravans
MOT groups

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well to be honest it was a lady that gave me the price and she was not exactly sure !
She THOUGHT it came under type 7 as it is over 4 tonnes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
actually looking at the gov website it isnt a class 7 either.

Class 7

Age first test required (years) 3
Fee £57.70
Vehicle type Goods vehicles (over 3,000 kg up to 3,500 kg DGW)

definately class 4

Class 4

Age first test required (years) 3
Fee £57.70
Vehicle type Motor caravans

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. so same price anyway and I got 2.50 off ! LOL !!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
PJ, you have never met a Norfolk Forestry worker have you .. I can tell !!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now then !!

Norfolk is the driest county in the UK ( rain wise ) AND the Thetford forest is the largest lowland pine forest in Britain :Eeek: ( absolutely NO interest to anyone really but hey ! ::bigsmile: )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now then !!

Norfolk is the driest county in the UK ( rain wise ) AND the Thetford forest is the largest lowland pine forest in Britain :Eeek: ( absolutely NO interest to anyone really but hey ! ::bigsmile: )

now that conjurs up a disgusting image..:ROFLMAO:

G

Guy

Deleted User
Just read all comments on this post. Nowhere does anyone mention finding out what the suspension design limit is. Just increaing the max plate weight is fine but how long will your springs: dampers : bushes survive? Adding air assister is also fine but does not take away the added load you are carrying. Yes I know there are lots of you out there that have made changes but be careful ref warranty - if valid - and what might happen if you are involved in a major accident. Your vehicle may have had plate increased but the legal beevers will being checking if vehicle is 'Fit for purpose'.
Also there is a certain chassis out there who's rear leaf springs could snap if anything were to rub agaist them due to very high stressed surface treatment. Thus take care with your assisters.

Have a nice day.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just read all comments on this post. Nowhere does anyone mention finding out what the suspension design limit is. Just increaing the max plate weight is fine but how long will your springs: dampers : bushes survive? Adding air assister is also fine but does not take away the added load you are carrying. Yes I know there are lots of you out there that have made changes but be careful ref warranty - if valid - and what might happen if you are involved in a major accident. Your vehicle may have had plate increased but the legal beevers will being checking if vehicle is 'Fit for purpose'.
Also there is a certain chassis out there who's rear leaf springs could snap if anything were to rub agaist them due to very high stressed surface treatment. Thus take care with your assisters.

Have a nice day.

the thing with this is, companies such as svtech will only uprate to the vehicles maximum factory design weight, not what the plate says, which for many may be as much as 4.1 tonnes or more.

the majority are factory downplated from the maximum weight for goegraphical market reasons...ie: driver licence limitations etc

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Guy, not being funny mate, but you are suggesting that SvTech, VOSA, VB Air, myself ( a mechanic and builder of vehicles from scratch for one or two years ) do not know what they are doing.

I am willing to accept anyone's doubt on my personal credentials as you do not know me from adam, but to suggest a company such as Sv would issue a certificate of compliance on a vehicle that is either ill equipped or simply unsuitable for the job in hand is simply outrageous and quite frankly insulting ( again, not to me, but to professional bodies such as Sv )

I also believe you are muddling up 'assister's' with air springs.
Assister bags are very hard to find nowadays.
Although the current crop are still termed assister's there are 40t rated lorries out there now with NO springs at all, merely air bags.

And to answer your original quibble..
Of course it is not mentioned as SvTech have all vehicle specs to hand.
You give them the info and they tell YOU what you can do with the vehicle.. It is not you who tells them..

Reading your post again, I honestly believe you have posted in good faith but have never had anything to do with the job in hand.
If you had you would know that cleverer folk than me and thee control and certify such matters, not the other way round !

If you would like more info ( purely out of interest ) about the whole process I and a good many others on here would be happy to supply it :Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On a lighter note..

Just back from VOSA who have inspected and passed the vehicle as fit for a year ::bigsmile:

Getting darned close now ! Just got to fill in the V5 changes and re-tax the thing ( and of course send my present tax disk back and get it refunded )

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Good to see you all done now.:Smile: We have really noticed a difference with our van since we had ours fitted.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

Have a nice day.

I have concerns about the sentance i have highlighted, could you please tell me which certain chassis out there you are talking about.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Andddddddddddddddddddddd...............................................
!! It is all done and completely completed !!

Yup, the whole project is now completed.
Rather than send off all the bits of paper and hope all was well, I decided to jump in the Smarty and pop over to the Ipswich DVLA office ( Norwich is closer but NO chance of parking anywhere within about a mile )
Took with me EVERYTHING I had..

The V5 ( log book )
Completed V85 ( application for VEL )
A completed V10 ( to claim VEL back )
My old tax disk
MOT
Insurance
Certificate from SvTech
New plate ( which is actually just a sticker and I am REALLY glad I did not stick it on the van ! )

Including waiting time it took 20 minutes :Smile:
VEL is now £165.00 so a nice little saving there which covered the lost month on the original VEL.

Sooooo.. Private plate is next on the list ! ( jeez I am a total tart sometimes ! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is not so much of me in the basque region.. more a case of me in the region of basque !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back