Weight limit in french towns? (1 Viewer)

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
I HAVE RECENTLY READ THAT THERE IS A WEIGHT LIMIT OF 5 TON IN SOME FRENCH TOWNS OR VILLAGES.
CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS PLEASE?
WE TAKE OUR 1977 HYMER 720 TO FRANCE FAIRLY REGULARLY AND I THINK IT WOULD BE CLOSE ON THIS WEIGHT.
CHEERS DON.:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I have come across this but assumed it applied to HGV's not me, so just drove through.

Olley

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
weight

more and more small towns are going this way, but it is 5 tonnes, which is heavier than 5 tons, but you may get fined, in france with u k number plates ?? watch out,
I have been pulled over many times over the last 18 years, most road side/ service area or just spot check, when i ponted out to her in doors why not the french vans,,, she said i was paranoid,, so i put irish plates on,, i have since been in a line of campers and gendairme has walked along and pulled me out and sent me on way,,,
even she has noticed,, so remember, just because you are paranoid dont mean they are not out to get ya,,, :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
doesn't matter where you are ...a weight limit is a weight limit no matter what the vehicle is !

as a matter of fact there are a large number of 3,500Kg limits in france , and the police are starting to get very tough about whether or not you are over this ...bear in mind the new speed limits/stickers /tolls etc

french motorhomers are in a cleft stick , although many could upgrade their vehicles for nothing , they are not doing so because of the speed limit /insurance/tolls /licence /MOT implications ; if they are caught up to 5% overloaded it is just an on the spot fine , so stick to 3675Kg if you can ! last person I met who was caught paid €140

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
doesn't matter where you are ...a weight limit is a weight limit no matter what the vehicle is !

Don't know about France but in the UK if its got a picture of a lorry, then it only applies to goods vehicles.

Olley

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Frence police do not differenciate as to what the vehicle is, it is the weight that is the factor not the picture on the sign, so if it states 5 tonnes then that is the weight limit :cry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Looks like I will have to be a bit more careful then. :Doh: Have to say in the four times we have been pulled, 3 by the duane and once after some tolls, each time once they realised we where Brits we where told to bugger off, in the nicest possible way.::bigsmile:

Olley

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
more and more small towns are going this way, but it is 5 tonnes, which is heavier than 5 tons, but you may get fined, in france with u k number plates ?? watch out,

Sorry, but 5 tonnes is lighter than 5 Tons.
1 UK Long Ton = 1.016 metric Tonnes.

So, a 5 Tonne limit equates to 4.92 UK Tons.

As previously stated, many French towns have a 3.5 tonne limit. In fact I have seen this far more often than a 5 tonne limit. 3.5 tonnes is also the MAM point at which many speed and licence restrictions start to apply.

Philip

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm either lucky or blind never seen a weight limit sign over there yet :Eeek:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I agree with lebesset and Jean Luc that many French villages and towns have a 3.5 tonne weight limit, that applies to all vehicles.

The gendarmerie also use mobile weighbridges and are not adverse to fining Brits.

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back