Weight and tyre pressures - a shock! (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
For the first time, yesterday I had a chance to weigh my van, more or less in trip ready mode, full water, diesel, gas, bikes, just a little light on food and drinks, however I got a shock, our max weight is 5.0t and we came in at 4.920t, so only 80kg to play with!

Normally we pickup/drop off my mum and her luggage at my sisters, so with her onboard we will be over weight, I naively thought we would be about 4.5t as unladen is quoted as 4.0t, obviously all the toys on board have made a massive difference.

As a result of this I have dropped this tyre pressures from 70psi on the front and 60psi on the rears (tag) to 59psi and 47psi (a couple of pound extra over what tyresafe recommend) and what a difference, it is still no bentley, but it smoothes the road imperfections instead of crashing over them, a much nicer rider and so much quieter - presumably less damaging due to vibration/jolting to the van itself, why do manufacturers always recommend rock hard presssures?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
And on a billiard table smooth test track, it gives a more flattering mpg.
That's exactly so. I have a pal who is a development and test engineer with a world leading automotive engineering consultancy and I was staggered at some of the lengths to which vehicle manufacturers go to produce good figures for their vehicles.

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Assume with MoHo tyres, pressure are related to the fact they are in essence commercial tyres and are designed to deal with the weight and different conditions, etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
???? I don't understand you're heavier than you expected so you... dropped the tyre pressure??? You need to speak to an automotive engineer.

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
???? I don't understand you're heavier than you expected so you... dropped the tyre pressure??? You need to speak to an automotive engineer.
As I didn't have an accurate figure for axle weights I could only go with the rock hard pressures recommended by the manufacturer, now I know the actual weights I can set the pressures correct for those weights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back