Weighing in. (1 Viewer)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I took my Benimar 286, which we bought new in 2016 to be weighed for the first time yesterday. One 6kg calor light bottle, dishes, a little food and a few odd bits, but no water. It has a Fiamma sun awning factory fitted, an extra, which would have to be deducted off the original payload, which is listed as 370kg.

With myself on board and three quarters of a tank of diesel, it weighed in at 3182kg. The weight of my wife and another bottle of gas, now the heavier steel one, about 14kg will also have to be deducted off the payload.

My payload will now be reduced to about 240kg. So I cannot load up without knowing the weight of each item, which includes two electric bikes etc.

Just be aware, unless you have copious amount of payload.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
We're looking at getting a new van in the near future and one look at Benimar's website was shocking. They have vans that are advertised for 6 people with a 240kg payload. In my eyes that is absolutely false marketing as there is no physical way you can load safely without up-rating the vehicle to 3.8 tons. Their whole range has atrocious payloads.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Just over 4 years ago, I bought a chausson , turned out the payload was 60kg without anything loaded, I took it back and I ended up with a benimar 294, still love this motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 57D9663C-E87B-430A-9582-DC92767517E6.jpeg
    57D9663C-E87B-430A-9582-DC92767517E6.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 422B06A7-7469-44EE-8A21-DEF43B2A2FC0.jpeg
    422B06A7-7469-44EE-8A21-DEF43B2A2FC0.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 35
  • EA54C1FE-46C3-4B16-BBD9-B6FA49E9924E.jpeg
    EA54C1FE-46C3-4B16-BBD9-B6FA49E9924E.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 35
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We're looking at getting a new van in the near future and one look at Benimar's website was shocking. They have vans that are advertised for 6 people with a 240kg payload. In my eyes that is absolutely false marketing as there is no physical way you can load safely without up-rating the vehicle to 3.8 tons. Their whole range has atrocious payloads.
Have seen hire companies using vans with a similar pay load and suggesting that they can carry 6 adults plus bikes!

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Just over 4 years ago, I bought a chausson , turned out the payload was 60kg without anything loaded, I took it back and I ended up with a benimar 294, still love this motorhome.
Still only 260kg payload, which in my opinion is not acceptable.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I took my Benimar 286, which we bought new in 2016 to be weighed for the first time yesterday. One 6kg calor light bottle, dishes, a little food and a few odd bits, but no water. It has a Fiamma sun awning factory fitted, an extra, which would have to be deducted off the original payload, which is listed as 370kg.

With myself on board and three quarters of a tank of diesel, it weighed in at 3182kg. The weight of my wife and another bottle of gas, now the heavier steel one, about 14kg will also have to be deducted off the payload.

My payload will now be reduced to about 240kg. So I cannot load up without knowing the weight of each item, which includes two electric bikes etc.

Just be aware, unless you have copious amount of payload.
What were the individual axle weights? Its possible to stay within the overall weight max but overload the rear axle on some MHs, especially those with garages.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have seen hire companies using vans with a similar pay load and suggesting that they can carry 6 adults plus bikes!
A Couple of years ago in France on an Aire a 3500kg Benimar hire van. 4 adults, 4 bikes on the back, table chairs huge great BBQ in the lockers, no way could that have been under 3500kg.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think he is saying that a van advertised for six weighing 3500 kg gvw is not fit for purpose🤔 I think I would agree with that? However your particular van is obviously plated for higher gvw so is more practical😊

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I think you are missing the point Mickey1 , I'm not saying that YOUR van is unsuitable. I AM saying that the Benimar 294 is ALSO sold with a Maximum allowable weight of 3500kg. It is STILL, at 3500kg, advertised to exactly the same buyer, even though it has a maximum payload of 260kg WHEN SOLD AS THE 3500kg VARIANT. You, with the higher payload, have a massive 1120kg of payload...which is fantastic for you. If someone does not have a C1 licence, which many do not, Benimar will still quite happily sell them your van in a 3500kg variation with a payload which makes it completely and utterly un-useable as the family van that it is advertised as. You can post screenshots of your 4400kg allowance all day long, it still doesn't change this basic fact that Benimar, as a brand, have paltry payload allowances across their ENTIRE range that can only be resolved by up-plating to a higher GVW that many do not have a licence to drive.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I think you are missing the point Mickey1 , I'm not saying that YOUR van is unsuitable. I AM saying that the Benimar 294 is ALSO sold with a Maximum allowable weight of 3500kg. It is STILL, at 3500kg, advertised to exactly the same buyer, even though it has a maximum payload of 260kg WHEN SOLD AS THE 3500kg VARIANT. You, with the higher payload, have a massive 1120kg of payload...which is fantastic for you. If someone does not have a C1 licence, which many do not, Benimar will still quite happily sell them your van in a 3500kg variation with a payload which makes it completely and utterly un-useable as the family van that it is advertised as. You can post screenshots of your 4400kg allowance all day long, it still doesn't change this basic fact that Benimar, as a brand, have paltry payload allowances across their ENTIRE range that can only be resolved by up-plating to a higher GVW that many do not have a licence to drive.
I totally agree with you, but even after I uploaded the plate you still said I have 260kg payload, anyway, besides Benimar, I think there are hell of a lot of vans out there that are unfit for purpose.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I totally agree with you, but even after I uploaded the plate you still said I have 260kg payload, anyway, besides Benimar, I think there are hell of a lot of vans out there that are unfit for purpose.
Autotrail have been known to be a bit short on payload as I learned with a Tracker FB had to up rate to get useable payload for two and by doing that wasn’t practical to fit towbar as the GTW was pants🥲

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Still only 260kg payload, which in my opinion is not acceptable.
If you have not or cannot have a C1 then 3500kg gvw is what you have to live with.
Wasn’t long ago I had RVs with more than 1000kgs payload but now I have to manage with 3500kgs gvw, no choice.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
If you have not or cannot have a C1 then 3500kg gvw is what you have to live with.
Wasn’t long ago I had RVs with more than 1000kgs payload but now I have to manage with 3500kgs gvw, no choice.
I know I have to live with it. I have no problem with doing so whatsoever and there are many companies that manufacture their vans to allow a usable payload on their vehicles. Dethleffs in particular seem to have very good payloads even on their larger vans. My "problem", if I have one, is that thanks to this forum (as well as other sources of information) I feel that I am fairly knowledgeable regarding vehicle weights and payload allowances. Benimar (as well as others, yes) are a brand that very much appeals to the newer motorhome owner with their prices and features. I dislike the fact that they market vans with tiny payloads as "family vans" when if you used them as such you would be breaking the law, invalidating you insurance and possibly putting the lives of your family at risk by driving a van that is badly overweight. Mickey1 was obviously aware of this as he chose to go with the upgraded version to get a decent payload. Many new buyers are simply unaware of the payload issue and would just blindly load up and drive off on holiday. I believe that to mislead buyers in this way is completely unacceptable.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I know I have to live with it. I have no problem with doing so whatsoever and there are many companies that manufacture their vans to allow a usable payload on their vehicles. Dethleffs in particular seem to have very good payloads even on their larger vans. My "problem", if I have one, is that thanks to this forum (as well as other sources of information) I feel that I am fairly knowledgeable regarding vehicle weights and payload allowances. Benimar (as well as others, yes) are a brand that very much appeals to the newer motorhome owner with their prices and features. I dislike the fact that they market vans with tiny payloads as "family vans" when if you used them as such you would be breaking the law, invalidating you insurance and possibly putting the lives of your family at risk by driving a van that is badly overweight. Mickey1 was obviously aware of this as he chose to go with the upgraded version to get a decent payload. Many new buyers are simply unaware of the payload issue and would just blindly load up and drive off on holiday. I believe that to mislead buyers in this way is completely unacceptable.
It’s likely that a majority of motorhomers that don’t frequent this or any similar forum drive their pride and joy whilst overweight as do many caravanners.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
RubyOptics , I was a new buyer and unaware, I was lucky in a sense that I got my money back, and then once bitten twice shy opted for a higher payload.

Mickey.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think I will have a dig around to find a Spanish spec gor the 294 benimar,as it could not legally be sold here as able to carry 4 passengers. Here you need 75kgs for each passenger. So fir 4 passengers you need 300kgs.for 6 =450kgs,etc.
Many new buyers are simply unaware of the payload issue and would just blindly load up and drive off on holiday. I believe that to mislead buyers in this way is completely unacceptable.
Not just buyers,companies don't say anything to people when they are hiring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back