Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
No. Your insurance will cover YOU for a minimum 3rd party cover but any other party will be paid out in full if you are held to be accountable. Comprehensive Insurance is for your benefit only to cover all your own loses regardless if you are at blame or not. If not your blame your insurance would claim back from other parties.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
so if you exceed the revenue weight but do not exceed the axle weights are you technically over weight?
Revenue weight 3500kg combined axle weight 3850kg.
Vosa are genreally only interested in individual axle weights I believe

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
AIBinsurance
It would be good to hear from an Insurance company on an issue like this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
so if you exceed the revenue weight but do not exceed the axle weights are you technically over weight?
IMV yes as you are only legally registered at the lower weight, I tend to think of it as a 'contract' ... you agree to abide by the terms of it, if you don't then you have broken it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As good as AIB are...................

You'll be lucky!
Anyway I am sure the guys who post on here are from the Sales team not the Claims team or the underlying Underwriters - who are which company for information?

It is the Underwriting Company's wording and their money which pays out - the Brokers have little say.

Deleted User

You are overweight if you exceed any of the maximum weights on the plate and DVSA (VOSA) are interested in all though a 5% allowance is normally made.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I accept all that but you are overweight from a revenue point of view, you are still within the capabilities of the chassis so from an insurance point of view is there not an argument that mechanically you are not overloaded.

I'm agreeing with you all by the way I'm just playing devils advocate here.

Deleted User
I accept all that but you are overweight from a revenue point of view, you are still within the capabilities of the chassis so from an insurance point of view is there not an argument that mechanically you are not overloaded.

I'm agreeing with you all by the way I'm just playing devils advocate here.

I have no idea what revenue weight actually means, what I do know is that the maximum weights shown on the plate are the legally enforceable ones.

A possible scenario where a vehicles maximum gross weight is reduced for licence requirements and the individual axle weights remain the same could result in a prosecution for a gross overload even though no safety issues would be involved.

vwalan should know more about that, I believe that he has done this with his mini artic.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have no idea what revenue weight actually means, what I do know is that the maximum weights shown on the plate are the legally enforceable ones.
That's the weight that the DVLA use to determine how much road tax (VED) you pay and SHOULD be the same as the MAM given on the V5C reg doc but often the DVLA in their wisdom don't put the MAM on, just the revenue weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You MUST have a road legal MH regardless of whether the vehicle is 'capable' of safely carrying the additional load over and above the registered revenue weight, so as the you then don't have a 'road legal' vehicle in effect the 'contract' with the insurer has been broken which I suspect they would use as a reason not to pay.

A possible scenario where a vehicles maximum gross weight is reduced for licence requirements and the individual axle weights remain the same could result in a prosecution for a gross overload even though no safety issues would be involved.
If the individual axle weights are not overloaded AND the total gross weight isn't gone over, then surely it would still be legal?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

vwalan should know more about that, I believe that he has done this with his mini artic.
i havnt done it yet but i,m ready for if and when i get to 70yrs old.
mind i know a few others that have used the voluntary lowering system.
when i do mine i can lower the trucks gvw to 3.5 tons .but to tow my trailer i must move the trailers axles forwards to lower the pin weight .
it wont be an artic then ,just a fifth wheel caravan.
to be artics the pinweight must be over 20%of the trailers gvw.
then i will be able to drive it on a b+e licence.
lowering the trucks gvw ,does not effect its original trainweight .

Deleted User
If the individual axle weights are not overloaded AND the total gross weight isn't gone over, then surely it would still be legal?

You are correct, if the max gross weight is not exceeded then no offence is committed.

Most vehicles have a margin in that the sum of the axle weights is greater than the gross vehicle weight eg a vehicle with a gross weight of 3500k may have axle weights of 1800 and 2000 so it is easily possible to have a gross overload without exceeding axle limits.

Often the max gross weight of a vehicle may be raised without modification to the sum of the two axle weights but then care would be needed to keep within the axle weight limits if loaded to the max gross weight.

If the max gross weight is lowered without altering the max axle weights then it would be even easier to exceed the plated gross weight whilst remaining within the axle limits.

Deleted User
i havnt done it yet but i,m ready for if and when i get to 70yrs old.
mind i know a few others that have used the voluntary lowering system.
when i do mine i can lower the trucks gvw to 3.5 tons .but to tow my trailer i must move the trailers axles forwards to lower the pin weight .
it wont be an artic then ,just a fifth wheel caravan.
to be artics the pinweight must be over 20%of the trailers gvw.
then i will be able to drive it on a b+e licence.
lowering the trucks gvw ,does not effect its original trainweight .

As far as I am aware that definition of an 'artic' has no meaning for any practical purposes even though it may still be in some obscure C&U regulation.

That definition was brought in for Road Tax purposes to differentiate between drawbar trailers, which were at one time taxed, and semi trailers.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
As far as I am aware that definition of an 'artic' has no meaning for any practical purposes even though it may still be in some obscure C&U regulation.

That definition was brought in for Road Tax purposes to differentiate between drawbar trailers, which were at one time taxed, and semi trailers.
there was different driver licences hgv class 1 0r 2 0r 3 .
but yes these days its sort of changed.
like i say its a daft game we have to play.
bit like keeping d1 etc on your licence years ago. so many didnt have a medical and pay 20quid so they lost the rights to drive coaches and buses if not being paid to do it. .that was back in 1991.
hgv and bus licences changed back then to match european community practices.
mind germany had to change as well some of its rules as they didnt fit in with spain ,italy etc .
all a daft game .
there was loads of convoys heading to london at that time with drivers protesting etc . was great fun at the time .

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
If you want to get a free weight check, just take some scrap to a yard, and ask for the exit weight. Just don't overload on the way in. :)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Because then it wouldn't be a free weight check it would be a £10 weight check
it might be a 'weight check' that actually costs £10 for the service that provides a print out of the front and rear axles as well as the gross that you can then provide as an official document were you to be asked for it. A win win.

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
it might be a 'weight check' that actually costs £10 for the service that provides a print out of the front and rear axles as well as the gross that you can then provide as an official document were you to be asked for it. A win win.

But its not a free weight check, he was telling how to get a free one, and you said why not pay. durr.. let me tell you how to get a free weight check. pay £10. #solid

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
But its not a free weight check, he was telling how to get a free one, and you said why not pay. durr.. let me tell you how to get a free weight check. pay £10. #solid
I am so sorry that was so really stupid of me and thank you so much for picking up on it.

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I thought the OP wanted to check to ensure he was legal in case he was stopped. If you needs a print out, then he probably will have to pay, but is a print out made in England still valid a couple of months later in Spain? I don't like paying for services, when I can be paid to use them, and that is why I made my post. It seems preferable to me to clear some metal rubbish from one of my garages, and to run that in for a few pounds, and get a weight reading. If I needed separate reading for the front and rear axles, then I would go to a yard that has a digit display by the bridge. Then I could obtain the readings for each axle.

Another example of being paid to use a service is web browsing.. I've picked up crypto worth about £30 just for using a browser to use the internet as I do normally.

Deleted User
I thought the OP wanted to check to ensure he was legal in case he was stopped. If you needs a print out, then he probably will have to pay, but is a print out made in England still valid a couple of months later in Spain? I don't like paying for services, when I can be paid to use them, and that is why I made my post. It seems preferable to me to clear some metal rubbish from one of my garages, and to run that in for a few pounds, and get a weight reading. If I needed separate reading for the front and rear axles, then I would go to a yard that has a digit display by the bridge. Then I could obtain the readings for each axle.

Another example of being paid to use a service is web browsing.. I've picked up crypto worth about £30 just for using a browser to use the internet as I do normally.

A printout means nothing to any prosecuting authorities once you have left the weighbridge, it may sway a decision whether to re weigh depending on the time interval but will not be accepted as proof of the weight at the time of being stopped by any authority.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've got that for free both times I've weighed my van once in engerland and once in spain.

Don't need to bother weighing it again I know I've got plenty free payload ?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Tottly
A printout means nothing to any prosecuting authorities once you have left the weighbridge, it may sway a decision whether to re weigh depending on the time interval but will not be accepted as proof of the weight at the time of being stopped by any authority.
[/QUOTE
Totally agree but it does give you the knowledge about the overall load plus where the load is. Also demonstrates to others, that might be interested, that you have been responsible even though you may subsequently load it up with 144 bottles of wine - or am I a lightweight!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back