Weighbridge semi woes (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Decided to take the van to be weighed before going to Spain and it came in at 3400 kg, unfortunately neither myself or my wife were sat in it at the time, the bikes were also not on the back. I did however have 75% fuel and the gas tank was full, I also had the golf clubs in and also waste water which I forgot to put on Jim’s olive trees when we left Jasmin on Sunday. Deducting the weight of the golf clubs and waste water and adding back the the bikes and the two of us I calculated that it was 3528kg..
So today I took of the towbar which we no longer need and that weighed 30kg so now down to 3498kg so that’s near enough.

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Food, bit of fresh water, clothing, boots/shoes/coats...... That's taken you back over 3500kg.
Everything was in that we are taking to Spain, even the awning and all the bits were in the back. Only had about 10litres of water in but enough for travelling purposes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Similar scenario 12 months ago, so being concerned that in an accident(my fault or not), the insurance would be invalid.......and that would be a whole different world of crap!!!!!
Anyway, I up-plated to gain 200kgs (3500 to 3700) and this was an easy paper excersise.........could have got a bit more (150kgs) but needed physical work and of course cost.
There are pro and cons to doing this but you will not be illegally overweight and thus NOT INSURED..........see many separate threads on up-plating.

Reactions: f6c

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Nice 1, not everyone knows about individual axle weights. Weighbridge operator should have advised you to stay in the van! Unless it was a 24hr public weigh bridge.

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Similar scenario 12 months ago, so being concerned that in an accident(my fault or not), the insurance would be invalid.......and that would be a whole different world of crap!!!!!
Anyway, I up-plated to gain 200kgs (3500 to 3700) and this was an easy paper excersise.........could have got a bit more (150kgs) but needed physical work and of course cost.
There are pro and cons to doing this but you will not be illegally overweight and thus NOT INSURED..........see many separate threads on up-plating.
Been there, done that, gave up the C1 at 70 so no desire to replate, no problem in managing the weight.

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Nice 1, not everyone knows about individual axle weights. Weighbridge operator should have advised you to stay in the van! Unless it was a 24hr public weigh bridge.
It’s on a farm and I had to go and find him, did not charge me either.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Well for what its worth Mikeco, I applaud you. Not many folk go to the bother of putting themselves out and weighing their motor. Some rather sit back and put down others efforts for doing the correct thing.!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Mikeco as I was once told, your payload is fine unless you have a big meal.
This whole topic worries me and a whole lot of other people when told that should we be overweight, the insurance could be invalid. I am also aware that some garages, mine included, hold a maximum of 150kg. As my van already has a fixed spare wheel which is heavy. After a couple of electric bikes, table, chairs a groundsheet and sundry items I could be pushing the permitted limits.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tell me about it ... we were registered at 3700kg by the dealer but we needed 3850kg and the only way to get it was to have semi-air fitted on the rear at a cost of £2,000 as its on an Alko chassis.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well for what its worth Mikeco, I applaud you. Not many folk go to the bother of putting themselves out and weighing their motor. Some rather sit back and put down others efforts for doing the correct thing.!
You’re correct I for one always weigh before a long trip and received lots of odd comments?better safe than sorry is my motto.?

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Do we know for sure that the insurance is invalid when you are overweight when the vehicle is actually built to take the extra weight? Has anyone actually been affected by this.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Do we know for sure that the insurance is invalid when you are overweight when the vehicle is actually built to take the extra weight? Has anyone actually been affected by this.
Maybe more to the point 'has anybody had any insurance claim refused due to a technical issue/small print within the policy, motorhome or not?' I seem to think as an industry they are very sympathetic and obliging bunch.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
As an ex-traffic cop, my experience was, being overloaded is an offence under Road Traffic Construction regs, a specific offence.
This would not in itself invalidate Insurance.
However if a Road Traffic Collision occured while this was the case, and it was deemed the overloading directly impacted in the collision, ie braking, steering or improperly loaded vehicle effect, were contributory factors, it would be down to the insurance company to dedide wether an insurance payout would be made.
We all know what that dedision would be!
They would undoubtedly pay 3rd party risks but probably not cover your vehicle Comprehensive insurance.
If your vehicle has been uprated and all the valid certificatation is in place the vehicle GVW (MTLPM) supercedes the manufacturers VIN Plated weight. Of course you would have to had informed you Ins Company and checked your D/Licence to make sure you are licensced to drive a vehicle of that class.
No driving licence- No insurance

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
a simple question. for all those who have upgraded their weight, do you now avoid routes where signs specifically state no vehicles over 3.5 tonnes?

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
If you have upgraded your weight to over 3500kgs YES. Aswell as road tax.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If you have upgraded your weight to over 3500kgs YES. Aswell as road tax.
thanks, that bit has always confused me in that if the van isnt fully loaded then it would weigh less than 3.5 tonnes at times. if the owner knew his weight limits at various loadings then at times the van would be under.

anyway, it seems as though at least one person takes note of the signs .....

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Depends if you require access doesn’t it?otherwise I try to avoid weight limits there are some in Europe that are unavoidable when accessing Aires?

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
As an ex-traffic cop, my experience was, being overloaded is an offence under Road Traffic Construction regs, a specific offence.
This would not in itself invalidate Insurance.
However if a Road Traffic Collision occured while this was the case, and it was deemed the overloading directly impacted in the collision, ie braking, steering or improperly loaded vehicle effect, were contributory factors, it would be down to the insurance company to dedide wether an insurance payout would be made.
We all know what that dedision would be!
They would undoubtedly pay 3rd party risks but probably not cover your vehicle Comprehensive insurance.
If your vehicle has been uprated and all the valid certificatation is in place the vehicle GVW (MTLPM) supercedes the manufacturers VIN Plated weight. Of course you would have to had informed you Ins Company and checked your D/Licence to make sure you are licensced to drive a vehicle of that class.
No driving licence- No insurance
That's really helpful and goes a long way to clarifying the issues. Is it the fact that the offence of overloading therefore 'invalidates' the insurance and if it does then surely other offences of say speeding should also invalidate it? Or am I reading too much into this.

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Doent matter what the actual weight of the vehicle is (as long as not overloaded) it is what it is plated at that counts. Its like an artic lorry running unloaded it is still classed at 38 tonnes (albeit they can raise axles to run on cheaper road tax) to reduce wear and tear on the roads.
I dont know if many people actually know how much of a payload they can carry, upgrading weight limits can be more hassle than its worth.
Just run over a weigh bridge with all occupants. Then add 1kg per Litre of water (fresh or otherwise) and weigh your payload as you pack up, or alternatively fully loaded with fuel, water, all goods carried, occupants and weigh vehicle.
I did mine recently. Bailey Approach Advance 640, GVW 3500kgs. Fully loaded, fuel, water (50%), Kampa Air Pro 260XL and all accessories, was just 3020kgs!
And remember things like bike rack, Fiamma/Thule/Dometic canopies, Solar panels, Sat systems are all extra weight on vehicle from manufacturers plated weight.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Not speeding, but things like Dangerous driving (speeding can be dependant on circumstances deemed Dangerous driving) invalidate your insurance as will drink driving (that is in the small print).
It comes down to your Ins co again, who will if they can only cover 3rd party risks only.
In the past I have had to make contact with Insurance companies re an incident, whose 1st question is "Was there any damage or injury?"
If no damage or injury they will undoubtedly not be bothered, but as soon as a claim is inevitable they definately are not so flexible.
The only absolute answer about insurance is if there is no policy in effect you are not covered obviously.
It really is hit and miss down to insurance companies

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only requirement of 'insurance' is that it covers 3rd party liabilities . That is the requirement & has been for all the time I've been alive.
Anything above that ,i.e. fire & theft, full comp for your own damage is not a legal requirement & in many countries,like here in spain, not available once the vehicle is a few years old. As long as you purchase insurance cover there is no time that you can ever have " no insurance" to cover 3rd party liabilities whatever anyone tells you. If you are in breach of weight/licence/ etc; rules then your insurance still has to foot the bill for 3rd parties & the onus would be on them to pursue you for what they had to pay out in a civil court.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back