weighbridge (probably a silly question) (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am wanting to check my MH load, both total weight and each axle

Question, when I measure the front and rear on their own does it matter how far on to the weighbridge the vehicle is

My simple mind says the further on you go the more it will weigh, :doh: but was not good at physics at school

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am wanting to check my MH load, both total weight and each axle

Question, when I measure the front and rear on their own does it matter how far on to the weighbridge the vehicle is

My simple mind says the further on you go the more it will weigh, :doh: but was not good at physics at school
Can't see it making any difference , the weighbridge is going to weigh your axel wherever it is on the platform still got your other one on the ground as long as it's level, if it's on a slope getting on , it might make a slight difference but nothing that would make much difference

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David, not sure of the physics either, we just drove on and off and on and stopped etc whilst the bloke in the office shouted at us, worked for us. (Insert thumbs up smiley thing here!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
When I weighed the new van the guy on the weigh bridge said he could not accurately weigh the front and rear axles as they were at the ends of the bridge - response was I only needed an indication so that was OK. it should not make too much of a difference as long as both wheels are well on to the weigh bridge

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi
I used to own several weighbridges and it makes no difference as long as the vehicle is level. Some bridges have a ramp one end and flat ground at the other end always weigh axles on the flat side ,
Hope this helps

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I used to own several weighbridges and it makes no difference as long as the vehicle is level. Some bridges have a ramp one end and flat ground at the other end always weigh axles on the flat side ,
Hope this helps

Yep - ramp at both ends which I guess is why he said he could not weight accurately

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
In an earlier life I installed a 60 tonne weigh bridge. when the weights and measures guy came to certify it he brought 12 tonnes of calibrated weights. The first test was to put these on each corner in turn. He knew the exact weigh of the weights, he then added small weights until the scales clicked over to the next 10kg.
10kg was the accuracy of the scales, the variation allowed between corners was tiny. As others have said the ground adjacent to the bridge must be level to compare axial weights.
When I had my MoHo weighed locally I had to drive the front wheels on and a reading was taken, then I drove completely onto the scales and a second reading was taken. The print out then included the difference between the two readings as the weight of the read axial.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just reviewed my own question and had a flash of inspiration

So sat down....

I now presume that the front axle weight added to the rear axle weight should be the same as the total weight?

Edit

or as just now posted before this, just weigh the front, then the whole, presume the rear

I still fancy having three measurements then seeing if it all adds up right

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
He knew the exact weigh of the weights, he then added small weights until the scales clicked over to the
10kg was the accuracy of the scales, the variation allowed between corners was tiny. As others have said the ground adjacent to the bridge must be level to compare axial weights.
When I had my MoHo weighed locally I had to drive the front wheels on and a reading was taken, then I drove completely onto the scales and a second reading was taken. The print out then included the difference between the two readings as the weight of the read axial.

That's right 10kg is the accuracy all weighbridges must comply with and it must comply anywhere on the weighbridge especially ends and corners as these points get the most wear and tear. Personally I always weigh both axles as well as the whole vehicle just belt and braces really.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

If there is any ramp on or off the weigh bridge you could do front rear and total and you could work out what affect the ramp had in any, you could then be our resident expert on weigh bridge measurements(y).

Post and let us know when you have been.

Martin

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
My technique is to drive on & stop just before the rear wheels come on. So you get front axle only, but fairly well onto the pad.
Then whole vehicle.
Finally drive so the the front axle is just off the pad, leaving the rear as far on as it can be.

On a well set up weighbridge, it really shouldn't matter how far the wheels are from the ends, but no harm in centring as much as possible.

On the weighbridge I use, it's a contribution to the Friday night fish & chip fund, rather than a formal fee. No printout, just read off the display. So nothing extra for the 3 separate weighs. It's not a public weighbridge & I know it gets a lot of hammer, so I'm not surprised when the two individual weights don't add exactly to the total (slightly over), but it's close enough for my purposes.

With 120kg of electric wheelchair to carry we are tight on payload. The van has a big water tank for a PVC, so I can't fill it up & carry wife & wheelchair. Fine when on my own though. :wink:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would suggest weigh the complete vehicle then drive forward so the front wheels are not on the weighbridge and then weigh again. Providing the vehicle is level you can subtract one from 'tother and you will have the front axle weight as well.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Is there a fee for using a public weighbridge?
AND
Do you just turn up at one? Or make an appointment.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
AND

I am lucky, one of my customers just down the road has a weighbridge, going to use that

But a few years ago I had a problem with a caravan and the dealer wanted nose weights, paid about £3 a measure at a public weighbridge, with printouts

I think dear old Google will give you your local 'public weigh bridges'

(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
AND
Depends on the operator/owner.

If you just want verbal weights i doubt they would charge...but dont bank on it.
Documented weights will incur a charge for the printed ticket.

Just turn up and wait your turn if its busy.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I found a builders merchant with a weighbridge. They weigh the vehicles that collect materials. I usually get my gas from them so they let me run the van over their bridge for nowt.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We stumbled onto one in the Cotswolds whilst away, we were fully loaded, we were charged £10 but it was worth every penny because it showed we had 220 kilos spare...more cream cakes for us!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We stumbled onto one in the Cotswolds whilst away, we were fully loaded, we were charged £10 but it was worth every penny because it showed we had 220 kilos spare...more cream cakes for us!

Nice one Dawn, I presume you had drunk all your gin ;)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
slightly out of date now, but the directory of public weighbridges below also includes phone numbers and cost
Link Removed

if it shows nothing local, phone your local builders merchants or even the council, as they will know where you can find one

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What happens if you are overweight?

Does the weighbridge man stop you driving off or is it your risk?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

We are using a local company as a favour rather than anything too official, so hopefully we will be OK, but I guess if you go anywhere too official and get a printout it could be different

Must still be down to the driver to decide though I would have thought, but I suppose they could call the police

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

They won't phone the police but will inform you that you shouldn't drive also your ticket will be on file for inspection. When I go and check weigh I don't bother with a ticket don't pay either used to own the weighbridge.:)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
They won't phone the police but will inform you that you shouldn't drive also your ticket will be on file for inspection. When I go and check weigh I don't bother with a ticket don't pay either used to own the weighbridge.:)

Please satisfy my curiosity, how do the weigh bridge operator know what a vehicle weight limits are?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Please satisfy my curiosity, how do the weigh bridge operator know what a vehicle weight limits are?

They don't but on a busy weighbridge like the ones I owned they could easily weigh a hundred vehicles a day any decent operator quickly knows the gross weight of most vehicles and if they think you're over weight will inform you. The final decision to drive or not is yours, I'm surprised the law hasn't changed where if you leave they are duty bound to ring the authorities, it may have as I've been out of it for a few years but I'm not aware of it. We used to get police and vosa bringing vehicles in to check weigh all the time and those that were overweight were not allowed back out until corrected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back