Weighbridge (in) accuracies. (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We got weighed at the local docks, though as said above they are really for huge trucks not us lightweights.
I was advised to go very very slowly but keep moving over the sensors and it was difficult to go as slow as required.
The figures agreed with SVTech’s, more or less, when we were weighed by them at Peterborough Show afterwards so I have faith in the dock ones.
Plus, they are free but no printed certificate.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So it begs the question, what makes the weighbridges that the VOSA (or what ever they call themselves now) differ from the one you or I are able to use?
Yes i am sure they are well looked after and regularly calibrated but unless they have different bridges for different vehicle weights they are still using a large HGV type scale to weight 《3500kg. Vans and motorhomes.
I have never been invited to enter one but maybe a Funster who has may be able to enlighten us. Different scales or not.???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
So it begs the question, what makes the weighbridges that the VOSA (or what ever they call themselves now) differ from the one you or I are able to use?
Yes i am sure they are well looked after and regularly calibrated but unless they have different bridges for different vehicle weights they are still using a large HGV type scale to weight 《3500kg. Vans and motorhomes.
I have never been invited to enter one but maybe a Funster who has may be able to enlighten us. Different scales or not.???

The DVSA mostly use their own dynamic axle weighbridges and they are used for weighing all vehicles.
There is a trading standards dynamic axle weighbridge just off the M62 near Morley which is free to all, as is the one at Hull docks which is frequently used by DVSA for enforcement purposes.
The police and DVSA can use any calibrated weighbridge and frequently do.
I have seen many small Van's etc being check weighed on both types.
Our traveller friends, and others, use Transit type pickups and weigh in their ill gotten, and legitimate, scrap metal at scrap yards with large plate weighbridges so they have to comply with calibration limits at the relatively low weights involved

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
These days I check my with my on board scales. :giggle:

IMG20200801185216.jpg

Sadlonelygit2

Free Member
Aug 17, 2020
La belle France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I live just down the road from a grain silo which has it's own weigh bridge.
They leave it on all the time, so if i need to check i can just drive on and off at will.
It can tell the difference whether I'm in the cab or not, so guess it is fairly accurate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back