wedding speech (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
:DAfter a few opinions and advice please!
Fairly sure I'll get both though :LOL:

As some will remember 18 months ago our future son in law to be asked our permission to marry our youngest daughter Danielle.:cool:
(Think he would of still proposed anyway):)

The wedding is all arranged this June at a grand location with plenty of frills etc obviously I'll post a few pictures (y)

This is where I really would like opinions and advice please.
My speech I think should be fairly lighthearted perhaps reflecting on childhood memories to present day but at the moment I'm torn between two camps one is "definitely write" a speech my choice is to speak from the heart on the day?
with maybe a few jokes etc that I've stolen.
Myself and the groom get on really well so no doubt he's expecting a ribbing from me
(And rightly so) :LOL:

Time scale how long would folks think is appropriate ? Tips etc all appreciated (y)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It is very much dependant on how comfortable you are as a public speaker. You should also factor in the glasses of champagne and your emotional state when the big moment comes.
As a very minimum I would have crib notes scribbled down to allow me to be structured and say all the things I want to say and the things I should say. You don't want to be focused solely on your jokes and completely forget about the more deep and meaningful things which will mean so much to your daughter.
I have more than enough experience public speaking, but not at this type of event so shall leave others who are more informed.
Wishing you a very happy day when it comes.
I should also say how nice it was to read the your future son-in-law took the time and respect to ask for your daughters hand. A tradition that seems to be falling by the way side.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Good luck.
Our son in law aged who was aged 40 came and asked our permission .
They married last year and had a super wedding in a barn down in Devon.
Fortunately I have never minded public speaking but I still had to wait 37 years to make that speech.
I managed to keep it light and talk mainly of her younger years and then the teenage years and finished up with their love for each other.
My opening gambit was to welcome everyone and then say I had pondered over this speech but in the end I decided that the truth was best.
This broke the ice and then I was away.
Good luck and most of all enjoy it...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Eldest is getting hitched in September. If you have some spare time to look at the daily smile thread in u shaped lounge there are a few ideas to bastardise.

The son in law the daughter and the best man are getting it both barrels from me but in a stab you in the front and twist the knife while smiling mode they know it's coming.

Enjoy your day. Remember if you cry that you just say that you saw the bill.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I suggest the opening line of the speech should be "Fornication such as this.........." Sorry I'll read that again, "For an occasion such as this..........................

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I googled wedding speechs, loads available, I then took bits out some of them and rewrote others until I got something I liked.
It went down well, so well pleased lasted perhaps 4-5 mins. That was lastyear.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I wrote mine, but in the end went ad-hoc, it appeared to go down well, just not to long. Who likes listening to someone rambling on.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I was asked to a presentation do & was so nervous, I can yap for England but public speaking was a daunting task, I'd done some individual prompt note's on small cards which worked a treat, but the best advise I had was pick a face you know in the audience & direct your address to them & the rest will blend into the background, worked for me.(y)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Start off by referring to your own wife as my little treasure, then explain that you call her that because the first time you took her home your mother said ..... where did you dig her up from!
Tell your mother in law that you have a soft spot for her..... at the bottom of your bloody garden.
If she makes you have sex from behind its because she cant stand to see you enjoying yourself.
This wedding speech will either get the party started or result in a fight.
Taken from the book... How to win friends and influence people. :Eeek:

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Whenever I've been best man I write the speech in Limerick form. That way you can read it and not be boring and they can finish off words. For example here in Narfook, "Everything he had was on his bike ,
Come on John, what were you loike."
Let them finish it off, and remember,
Stand up to be seen,
Speak up to be heard,
and shut up to be appreciated.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Admittedly it was not a best man's speech, but many years ago I had to give my sister away at her "shotgun" wedding which my father was unable to attend as he was posted overseas - and no leave. I never got on with my sister, and so it was with great feeling my speech was very short - verbatim>>>>

"For once in my life, I can honestly say, it is far better to give than to receive..."

Family disharmony perpetuated!!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I spoke from the heart, had a laugh and told the audience “the longer I speak, the more you can drink”, as I had instructed the servers to keep filling the glasses, I spoke for an hour, it was my day after all! I have since been told it went on a bit but it was a great speech, I haven’t got the bottle to watch it back on video!

Make some crib notes, be proud, say what’s important to you about your daughter, and enjoy the day, after all, hopefully, you will only get the one go!(y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Write it down. 5 minutes. Don’t forget to thank the outlaws for paying half.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Crib notes.
Think yourself lucky. My first speech as bride's father was quite difficult: Everyone except the bride (and the groom's mother) hated the groom.
I was later congratulated on the back-handed compliments and other innuendos.
Thankfully, that episode is all done and dusted. The second attempt was a lot easier, as everyone loved the groom! As it happens, for the second one, I wrote notes, plus cribs in case I decided to shorten it - in the end I just went completely off-piste for three or four minutes.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I was asked to do a “Mother of the Bride” speech at my daughters wedding a few years ago. I was a University lecturer at the time, so well used to public speaking, but I wrote it down anyway. How glad I was! I needed the notes to get through it, & ended up blubbing, along with half of the audience! There’s a reason they don’t usually ask a mum to do it! :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Went to a wedding on Saturday.
After the bride's father mumbled his way through his speech the best man was in floods of tears (of laughter or emotion we don't know) but he was unable to say a word so the groom had to stand.

My best man wrote his speech during a drinking session the night before.
On the day he look at it and said.....I can't say that, or that and definately not that.
It turned into a very short speech but he got a standing ovation for bluffing his way through.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I write just one or two headlines on 'index' cards and work through them avoiding the temptation to read verbatim or umm and ahh whilst looking for where I've got to in the 'script'.
There are two important things: Know how you are going to start and know how you are going to finish. There's nothing more embarrassing for everyone than when the hapless and/or tipsy speaker has got to the end of his prepared notes and starts rambling ad lib.
Oh, and please don't tell cringeworthy 'jokes'. There are millions to be found on the internet (as Old Mo demonstrates). You're not there as a warm-up comedian but as the beautiful bride's proud dad and you'll have ample time to really embarrass her later with your 'Dad dancing'. Family or relevant anecdotes, mildly embarrassing preferably, are great but everyone has their own sense of humour which may not be the same as yours.
A good opener is not: 'This isn't the first time today that I've risen from a warm seat with a piece of paper in my hand.....'

Or if you get applause when you stand to speak: 'After that warm welcome I simply can't wait to hear what I'm going to say'.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I did ask if the father of the groom wanted to say a few words, but he declined.:D

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I started of with "Its not often I get to speak for five minutes without being interrupted" and right on cue the wife said something, which got everybody laughing.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
a good start is "they say brevity is the soul of wit, in which case i will be "***" (insert appropriate word for audience) brilliant

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Did a speech at my younger son's wedding, did write it out beforehand. Can't remember why, but have a funny feeling I just wanted to. Am used to speaking to a lot of people, but was a bag of nerves. Best man wrote a poem, which was brilliant. Son has copies of those. Short and sweet is best.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Everyone congratulated David on his fotb speech and said it was one of the best they had heard.
It was heartfelt, no mickey-taking or excruciatingly embarrassing stories, he got emotional and it was very short!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
As above somewhere, it depends on how comfortable you are at public speaking. Definitely one liner crib notes to make sure you don't loose track and you have covered all the points. Best keep it short and don't ramble on. One or two good stories is better than loads of average ones. Its not easy telling stories, some people have the gift and lots don't. Good luck and congrats to all.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Thanks to all for the excellent advice (y)
At least now I've got a timescale a few ideas and tips luckily I'm not too worried about standing up with a microphone. And will be among friends & family which should make it easier:rolleyes:
Definitely going to make a few notes just in case I get lost along the way.

Will do a search on the internet for a few one liners as well.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back