Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
We have had our Dethleffs Globetrotter motorhome for 2 years and never used the Webasto heater which is installed beneath the bonnet, mainly because I don't know anything about it or the working of it. Most of the paperwork that came with the vehicle, even for the Ducato cab, is in German !
Are they useful and does anyone have any advise please ?
Denny.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yours may not work in the same way, but ours has one as a standard Merc fitting. It is controlled from a switch in the heating control cluster on the dash and feeds hot air into the cab heating system. Very useful on a cold morning to get the engine and driving area warmed up quickly. Ours will only work when the engine is running, but some installations are independent.

Philip

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Ours would appear to be independent as I sometimes catch the switch with my knee and switch it on, also it seems to have some kind of timer devise.
Do you know if they are expensive to run ?
Denny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We only have Webasto as a heating source in our MH.
If we have hook up we use a portable electric heater.
Webasto is good , very warm too , no cold spots in the MH .
We don't find it expensive to run.
But, were having problems with ours cutting out through the night. Its happened 3 times now. On the coldest of nights too. We've got the dealer looking into the problem for us.
Bev

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours would appear to be independent as I sometimes catch the switch with my knee and switch it on, also it seems to have some kind of timer devise.
Do you know if they are expensive to run ?
Denny.

Denny,
Ive just been reliably informed by Ralph that they use 1 litre diesel every 3 hours , well ours does anyway .
Ours is a Webasto 3500.
They are a lot warmer than the truma blown air heaters we've had in the past.
We use to use a 6 kg bottle of gas in 24 hours in the winter, when rallying , cooking included. Costing £14
Against £8.50 diesel for 24 hours , and thats if used on Max heat 3.5 kw , which gets far too hot.
Hope that helps.
Bev

Upvote 0

stuhaynes

Free Member
Jan 26, 2010
Funster No
Webasto Heater

The Webasto is cousin to Eberspecher. Both of them are used to provide hot dry air (and water if rigged for it) to your living space. My own experience is their use on boats which for many years were allowed to run on red diesel, a lot cheaper than road diesel then.

The Webasto is economical to run, but if you intend to use it a lot, and if it's convenient, I'd be tempted to install a 2nd tank. You can still buy red diesel for heating and it is still a good deal cheaper than white. If you only intend occasional use the chances are it won't be worth the cost of adding another tank.

Since you already have the unit installed why not use it? Go to your friendly RV dealer, they'll show you how it works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Thanks for the advise on Webasto, sounds as though it could be more useful than I thought.
Denny. :thumb:
P.S. Sorry for the delay, we were away for the weekend.

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
We have had our Dethleffs Globetrotter motorhome for 2 years and never used the Webasto heater which is installed beneath the bonnet, mainly because I don't know anything about it or the working of it.
I have a seventeen year old Transit campervan which has a Webasto heater fitted. I never knew it was there until after buying the van as unbelievably the previous owner never even bothered to make a point of it!

Mine works independantly from the engine which is really how it should be set up. Whats the point of needing to keep the engine running just to run a diesel heater? Certainly wouldn't make you popular with 'the neighbours'!

It takes power from the leisure battery and uses very little diesel. The heat given out is amazing though much depends on the size of van it's heating. In my case it heats the entire van very quickly and after half an hour or so I either turn it down or switch it off.

Be a good idea to start using yours.....a general service on these heaters doesn't come cheap....£100 plus parts.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back