Webasto Diesel heater problems/questions (1 Viewer)

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Hi
I've got a Chausson Flash 14 (59 plate) which has a webasto diesel heater fitted. First time I took van out for a 2 night stay, had heater set on about half way and after around 24hrs, it started blinking and stopped working. Looked at fault codes and it said problem was low voltage.
Checked battery and realised it was only a single 95ah one, so got rid of that and got 2x 115ah ones.
Just came back from 3 days away and same thing happened (similar usage with lights etc over the 2 trips..). Left it on halfway for 24hrs and light started flashing on heater and it stopped working. Soon as I start ignition it works ok as more power going into it.
I'd also installed a comprehensive battery condition meter and when heater stopped working that was showing 75% charge (so around 170ah) and 12.5v, surely that should be plenty?
I thought these heaters should run for quite a while longer before packing up. I am planning a skiing trip in feb in Alps staying in Aires and want to make sure I get this sorted out by then.
Thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not wired to your engine battery is it ? and its that one thats getting low:Doh:
Geo

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Nope, it's got a split charge relay in as standard. Cheers for the reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Webasto Dualtop on our Chausson Welcome 35.

We get three days constant running on our 2x 115Ah traction batteries at persistent below zero temperatures. We are planning on going to Val Thorens in February for skiing and have full confidence in our setup.

The manual says ours will only record a low voltage fault below 10V.
It might be worth double checking all electrical connections for resistance if you are confident that your batteries are up to the job in hand.

I also wouldn't trust any battery with the word 'leisure' on it!:Smile:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Three days would seem much more like it to me and interesting to see that it should only read a fault below 10v.
Perhaps there is a resistance fault somewhere and the power is in the batteries but not getting through to the heater.
Pretty sure the batteries are good, brand new and the meter is saying they have plenty of poke in them.
Great reply, thanks.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
That three days also includes approx 4 hours of telly in each of those 3 days too!

The batteries were discharged down to 80%, which is OK for industrial batteries.

You should be looking at two days if you are running a decent 'leisure' battery bank, assuming a 50% discharge, which is often cited as being 'safe' for such battery types.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Couple of things..
1) have you looked at the wires feeding the Webasto and all the relevant connections ?
One may have gone high resistence so the unit is 'seeing' a lower voltage than is actually available
Using a multimeter, check the actual voltage on the battery and then check the voltage right at the Webasto ( I appreciate that could be a pain but it is high on the list of suspects )

2) And only just behind in the odds stakes is that the Webasto voltage detector is actually faulty and too high, switching off long before it goes down to the minimum required

Do not rely on the on-board metering system as they very often give completely eronious readings !! :Angry:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We are Webasto agents. What else could have kicked in at the same time to shut the system down? Also, check that the unit is wired directly to the leisure battery. If not connected directly the problem could be caused by voltage drop in the wires.

It is our last day and our guys are all getting merry :ROFLMAO: But if you check those things and still have a problem PM me in the new year and I'll run the problem by one of our technicians

Happy Christmas

Eddie

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Great thanks for the advice both, will get the multimeter out and give it a try.
May well end up giving you a pm Eddie.
Cheers
Tim

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just reread what I put and to clarify, do the voltage checks with the unit running else you will not get the info you need :thumb:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Got you cheers will do it tomorrow. Just replaced the last multi meter I blew up!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We too have the Webasto Air-top 3500 on the Mizar.

When we got the van i transferred both our 110ah leisure batteries from the caravan on to the motorhome.
Our first trip in the motorhome was a new year meet and the weather was well below so we had the heating on constant.

I think we lasted somewhere between 12 and 15 hours and got the under voltage code flashing. I was very dissapointed with the heating not even getting a weekend out of the battery's. We struggled on with the rest of the weekend charging up using the genny through the day.

When i returned home i had a good look round the wiring of the system and thought we were suffering from voltage drop as the 12v supply feed seemed to use very thin wire over a fair distance.
Back to the dealers with the van and told them i wasn't happy with the heating not lasting a weekend. They checked everything out and told me it was fine and that it had been designed for the van and and fitted from new.

I upgraded the on board battery charger fitted a proper battery monitor(NASA BM1) and bought a small 1kw Honda and lived with it as we really liked everything else about the motorhome.
Then on one of the Fun rally's i got talking to another funster about the heating not lasting and he recommended i get two 6v T105 Trojan traction battery's.

Well what a difference, we can now sit for three days in the winter with the heating on constant watch tv when we want and charge up 12 gadgets.

We have never lost power since, these battery's are just amazing they just keep going. I will never use the leisure type again they are just not up to the job.

We now love this type of heating as you can use it while driving and get diesel anywhere.

You need Trojans :thumb:........Ralph

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have you ever thought you may have had a bad connection ?and changing the battery may have made it a good one ::bigsmile::winky:The heaters do not like anything that pulls down power so best to make sure it is wired direct to the battery
terry

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Ralph n Bev, can I ask why you are using 2 6v batteries (presumably in series) and not 12 v ones?
Interesting about the traction batteries, I can see the ones I've just bought going on ebay and me buying some more now!
(and thanks for other replies)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Put simply twice the plates
Traction batteries are the original deep discharge ones... from which all others were developed.

They are heavy ( the first and easiest thing to spot in a GOOD battery ) , they last for yonks, and due to the plate surface area hold the highest capacity a regular battery possibly can

Further, and I have not seen this mentioned before, you can re-acid them when they start to fade a bit and when they do die you could even get them rebuilt if you really wanted to

The downside ( and am concerned I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere either ) is that they gas when they are charging and release hydrogen ( fairly well written infosheet here )
So they should be vented to the outside of the battery as hydrogen is incredibly explosive

They should also be mounted somewhere that they can be got at as you should keep an eye on the electrolytic and may require topping up regularly

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph n Bev, can I ask why you are using 2 6v batteries (presumably in series) and not 12 v ones?
Interesting about the traction batteries, I can see the ones I've just bought going on ebay and me buying some more now!
(and thanks for other replies)

Not 100% sure why but i believe you get more AH using 2 x 6v than one 12v for the battery size.

Good point made by Jaws that they need to be vented to the outside.I use one of those really useful boxes from staples with rubber foam on the top of the box to create an air tight seal.I then have two 40 mm tubes vented from the top of the box to the outside.I vented from the top because the gas that's given off during charging rises.The use of two tubes also helps recycle the air in the battery box .To keep the air tight seal i used cable glands to pass all the required wires through.

If you go down this route i can post some pictures.

Ralph

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Just when I thought it was sussed! Venting could be an issue as the battery box is located under one of the seats and space is fairly tight. I may be able to vent to the outside by sealing them as you mention ( good idea ) will havet to check measurements and space. Cheers again both ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Here we go.....Two Trojan T-105 battery's

You can see the vents on the top right hand side they go through the floor to the outside.

It takes up a whole base locker but well worth it.

Hope it helps with your thoughts.

Ralph

Attachments

• 19112011031.jpg
    19112011031.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 91

Rugbyboy24

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi
I've got a Chausson Flash 14 (59 plate) which has a webasto diesel heater fitted. First time I took van out for a 2 night stay, had heater set on about half way and after around 24hrs, it started blinking and stopped working. Looked at fault codes and it said problem was low voltage.
Checked battery and realised it was only a single 95ah one, so got rid of that and got 2x 115ah ones.
Just came back from 3 days away and same thing happened (similar usage with lights etc over the 2 trips..). Left it on halfway for 24hrs and light started flashing on heater and it stopped working. Soon as I start ignition it works ok as more power going into it.
I'd also installed a comprehensive battery condition meter and when heater stopped working that was showing 75% charge (so around 170ah) and 12.5v, surely that should be plenty?
I thought these heaters should run for quite a while longer before packing up. I am planning a skiing trip in feb in Alps staying in Aires and want to make sure I get this sorted out by then.
Thanks

Rugbyboy24

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Top man Ralph, thanks, very helpful.
Hi I have a webasto dual top on my 2011 Autotrail excel which was showing a low voltage code. I tried everything. Took it to a webasto dealer and they tested it. It was an overvoltage code (same as low voltage code). After a process of illiminanation it was the solar panel causing the problem. Took the fuse out of the solar panel and the heater is running fine.
Just need to sort solar panel now.
Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back