Weather dilemma. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have planned for months to go to Scotland for a few weeks this summer instead of our usual month in France.

Had to take the MoHo to the dealers in Staffordshire to have a last warranty job done and take my new bike to 50Cycles at Loughborough for a check up and adjustment. Then north via a night stop near Sheffield to The C&MC site at Old Hartley, just north of Newcastle. Always wanted to stop there as it looked like a terrific view over the sea.

We are pitched overlooking the lighthouse and the sea although you really wouldn’t know as it hasn’t stopped raining for 36 hours.

The forecast for the north is not particularly good for the next few weeks but France looks excellent.

So the dilemma, do we stick it out and continue north to Scotland for the next 2+ weeks or cut our losses and dash home to Suffolk and collect our passports then head for the tunnel and France?

Meteo France forecast looks like it will be warm and sunny most of the time………Temptation, temptation.

Any suggestions?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Did you really think you'd get in to Scotland without your passports :LOL:

Bad weather doesn't bother me, but if it's a main holiday for you and you prefer the sun, go and get your passports :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am usually pro Scotland, but have also faced your choice and not changed my route wishing later I had

Looking at the forecast for western Scotland or central France for the next 2 weeks I would be heading south

But you are a long way up already o_O

Scotland weather can change really quickly though and forecasts are rarely bang on for tomorrow let alone a week away (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We have planned for months to go to Scotland for a few weeks this summer instead of our usual month in France.

Had to take the MoHo to the dealers in Staffordshire to have a last warranty job done and take my new bike to 50Cycles at Loughborough for a check up and adjustment. Then north via a night stop near Sheffield to The C&MC site at Old Hartley, just north of Newcastle. Always wanted to stop there as it looked like a terrific view over the sea.

We are pitched overlooking the lighthouse and the sea although you really wouldn’t know as it hasn’t stopped raining for 36 hours.

The forecast for the north is not particularly good for the next few weeks but France looks excellent.

So the dilemma, do we stick it out and continue north to Scotland for the next 2+ weeks or cut our losses and dash home to Suffolk and collect our passports then head for the tunnel and France?

Meteo France forecast looks like it will be warm and sunny most of the time………Temptation, temptation.

Any suggestions?

With this weather, me thinks I'd head south.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I am usually pro Scotland, but have also faced your choice and not changed my route wishing later I had

Looking at the forecast for western Scotland or central France for the next 2 weeks I would be heading south

But you are a long way up already o_O

Scotland weather can change really quickly though and forecasts are rarely bang on for tomorrow let alone a week away (y)
Yes you are right David, we are almost in Scotishland.
It's just a days dash back home compared with what could be more than two weeks grotty weather in the north.
Bad weather doesn't bother me, but if it's a main holiday for you and you prefer the sun, go and get your passports
Not really a main holiday as we spend almost half the year in the MoHo, mostly in Europe.
Just hate rain and miserable weather when we could be sitting in the sun.

Richard.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
tomorrow looks to be the only sunny day in the UK for a week, use it to get back down south I reckon (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like you have left home a week too early. I would maybe be inclined to head south but June is usually our best month. As David says the forecasters can hardly predict a day. IF you get the weather you will enjoy the Scottish scenery but that's only IF.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are in Sheffield and would deffo head south and across the sea if you want warmth ! Even the rain is warmer and it drys up quicker in France!!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We drove up from near Caen to Fecamp in Normandy today. We had torrential rain, hailstones bigger than marbles and it's blowing gale now.
However, forecast back home in Brittany and down south is good.
We will be in the U.K for 2 weeks before coming back and not looking forward to the weather!
Head south, we will be in 3 weeks!

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
IMG_0774.JPG

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The weathers not great in Leicestershire either ,im sitting in a rocky motorhome ,personally id head for the sunshine ,i tend to book a couple of weeks off of work and then make a final decision on where to go.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I live in Scotland and am sitting at home just now. Having been watching the weather we are leaving for France on Thursday. Your call.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Even Calais is blue sky this morning, windy but blue, an hour or two inland and it's 30c and lovely....

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think it seems you don't have a choice if you want sun!!!

Just don't go to Totana :sun: tooooo hot!

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another vote for France Im sure no matter where you end up you will have a great time.

Did you see my new van when you were at GMC C-Line Chic BX17 I wish they would hurry up and get it ready

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
UK has weather France has a Climate, head south young man. You know its the only sensible option.:)

When we are away in the van for a couple of months I get peed off and miserable with one day of rain.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Although I'm a massive fan of Scotland, think I'd be heading South too. We've had too many holidays when I've been bloody minded and the fortnight was an endurance test as opposed to a break!

Shame you haven't got passports with you as you could have taken a ferry from Newcastle or Hull to Holland or Belgium and saved dragging back down to Suffolk and then on to the southern ports.

Have a great time whatever you decide

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's no fun being stuck in the van for days on end if the weather is set to stay bad.
You could always do Scotland in the autumn or next year

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Following your blog, we are heading to one of your favorite destinations Camping des Vernhes, forecasted to be 32c on Saturday; I know where I'd rather be:D

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Another vote for France Im sure no matter where you end up you will have a great time.

Did you see my new van when you were at GMC C-Line Chic BX17 I wish they would hurry up and get it ready
Sorry, no didn't notice your van.
If I had known it might be there I would have had a look while I was in the workshop.
Hope you get it soon.

Richard.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have to say that this time last year we spent 3 weeks in the Outer Hebrides with wall to wall sunshine, but that's the luck of the draw.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I cannot abide bad weather when travelling. We have spent a few days chasing good weather before, and would do it again.
Phil

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sorry, no didn't notice your van.
If I had known it might be there I would have had a look while I was in the workshop.
Hope you get it soon.

Richard.

We pick it up on Friday Richard can't wait it feels like Christmas

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
No contest, head for the sun. The beauty of our motorhomes is that we are not committed to staying in one place in the rain, keep the comfort of your own accommodation, change the view. A wet fortnight in a gite in France was the final deciding factor in our first motorhome purchase in 2013.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for all your comments and recommendations.

The democratic process has taken place and the will of the people must be obeyed.
Most comments recommended heading to France so that is what we are doing.
A new Frequent Traveller package has been taken out with Eurotunnel and the shuttle booked for Friday afternoon. We will drive home from Newcastle tomorrow, collect passports etc, then to Folkestone on Friday. :sun::sun::france:
Yet another great advantage of owning a motorhome. (y)

Richard.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A new Frequent Traveller package has been taken out with Eurotunnel and the shuttle booked for Friday afternoon. We will drive home from Newcastle tomorrow, collect passports etc, then to Folkestone on Friday. :sun::sun::france:
Yet another great advantage of owning a motorhome. (y)
Nice one, and would be my chosen actions too, if in your position.

The last time we went to Scotland, the blooming rain followed us everywhere from West to East, and after a week, we'd had enough and headed home to East Anglia, whereupon we spent the next fortnight in glorious sunshine. :doh:

Safe travels. (y)

Jock. :)

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
We are going up to scotland on the 16/6 im sure it will be good weather then wont it?
Bill and Lynne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back