LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Go on then, thinking of getting a couple of fold ups for the moho, probably just pedal cycles BUT might treat Mrs Westy to an electric one, undecided as yet as she doesn’t like change or new fangled things.
So question is what’s the weapon of choice amongst you moho cyclists?
I’m thinking a couple of Bickerton Argents.
I have a really nice Colnago road bike at mo, and Mrs Westy has a cheap mountain bike that weighs a ton, so hence the reason for getting a pair the same👍
Over to you😊

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Be interested to see what thoughts are so following this chat

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
We don't have garage so always worried about security of bike on rear rack. We have an Omnistor top box that holds 50kg that we removed, do not like having it on the roof. Wondering if we can get two fold up bikes in it and attach it to the rack, of course that will affect the rear axle loading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Useful to get the same e-bikes as you have the option to swap batteries when one of you exhausts the power in one battery. And it has happened to me ... twice. Doing the C2C in June so it may well happen again. Ours aren't folding so have no experience here but it is possible to convert a road bike to ebike with a Pendix system. (https://pendix.com/edrive). I have ridden a Brompton folding bike with an added Pendix and it worked well. Belonged to a single lady, in her 70's in France travelling around in a small pop top Berlingo van. She was a gem!

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Go on then, thinking of getting a couple of fold ups for the moho, probably just pedal cycles BUT might treat Mrs Westy to an electric one, undecided as yet as she doesn’t like change or new fangled things.
So question is what’s the weapon of choice amongst you moho cyclists?
I’m thinking a couple of Bickerton Argents.
I have a really nice Colnago road bike at mo, and Mrs Westy has a cheap mountain bike that weighs a ton, so hence the reason for getting a pair the same👍
Over to you😊
If you're a together couple you could go fo a tandem and watch the sunset.
IMG_20190907_193305.jpg

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
We have Bromptons, yes they cost more but they fold up small and we can store them in the MH. They weigh about 11kg each, you can get lighter Bromptons but they cost even more money!

Used to have bikes on a rack, but didn’t like like them on view or out in all weathers.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you decide to go for just normal bikes rather than ebikes then look at Decathlon, we had our decent Hybrid bikes stolen while in Nice 3 years ago. These bikes cost over £500 so not the most expensive but still decent bikes, when replacing them we wanted lightweight and cheap which is a contradiction on it's own. We headed to a few bike shops and told them we wanted to spend around £500 per bike but wanted them to be light, the lightest we could get was around 18-20KG.

We then popped out to Decathlon and bought two of these https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/riverside-500-hybrid-bike/_/R-p-300777 we bought the year old models so only paid £250 each including accessories, the best bit is they only weigh under 14kg's. We've now had them nearly 3 years and they're great wee bikes that we use on a regular basis with no issues, I cycle to work most days and through out the summer we tend to cycle most weekends with no issues.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Not just Decathlon have cheap normal cycles we got 2 Halfords ones at £247 each just before Christmas as what we have found with our E Bikes is they have 6 gears but only one chain ring so once you get used to pedalling and want to go a little faster it starts to feel like you are pedalling through Mud - so we got mountain bike and now we can enjoy pedalling through REAL mud :LOL:
also as the weather gets colder the batteries become less effective and the range reduces and as the batteries get older the range gets less as well

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
As you are in Earby, call in at Onyerbike in Burnley and get Mrs W to take a test ride on an ebike. Its going round their car park with a hill / rise between upper and lower car parks so is not a stressful tes run.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not just Decathlon have cheap normal cycles we got 2 Halfords ones at £247 each j
My point about Decathlon wasn’t just the cost but the weight as the lighter the better for a MH, I’d guess the halford ones will be closer to 20kg.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You have a big garage so why folders?
We have Scott e-bikes been very pleased with them.
Do you know Lenny HB i haven’t the foggiest🤷🏼‍♂️ I just got focused on folders after talking to a mate who had one and loved it, that said he went out and bought an electric Giant MB, which is now his new best friend😁, but it was 2.5k😳😳
I bet normal MB are a damn site cheaper too. Must be lightish, not for payload as I have plenty, but for lugging them about. I’ll check out the Scott’s

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We’ve just upgraded to a pair of Bromptons, as our garage is relatively smaller than many. One I bought second-hand and already converted with a Swytch bike kit. The other was new, as eBay prices for even older ones were mad...not far below new cost. I’ve ordered a Swytch kit for this one as well. The Swytch allows you to remove the electrics completely if you need to (apart from the hub) and you end up with a bike which is just a mite heavier than the original, so if the battery pack runs out you’ve still got a useable and practical bike.

Twos company

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2008
Boroughbridge
Funster No
MH
VW transporter
Exp
25+
I’ve got 2 gtech city bikes complete with extra spare batteries 1 has a rear pet carrier and a front basket for sale as soon as lock downs over if there any good to you £500 each

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rapids 9090df
Exp
Since 2019
I bought a trek power fly mountain bike and it’s one of the best things I’ve bought, takes the grind out of the hills, however if you turn the power off or run out of battery it’s like pedalling a Ford Sierra. Also the bike rack on my old Moho was a standard one fixed halfway up the rear wall and lifting an e bike up to shoulder height and trying to secure it was a work out to say the least, you get one crack at it.
On new Moho towbar mounted bike rack ..... sorted
Just a thought .

OnlyJen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2021
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Hymer Ayers Rock
Exp
motorhoming, campervanning and caravanning since 1990. Wine drinking since eternity.
I carry two E-bikes on a tow bar mounted rack. Total all-up weight is 61kg including rack so within tolerances.

A word of warning for removable tow-bars though such as the westy one. Whilst it might state maximum weight limit of 100kg that reduces to only 75kg for "unsupported" loads such as a bike rack.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We have a pair of Raleigh Stow electric folding bikes. Gives us the option to put them in the PVC boot or on a tow bar rack depending on how long we are away for.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
If you go for folders, those Bickerton Argents look interesting. Have a test ride of them along with Brompton’s. I have no idea how they compare, but we have Brompton’s. Both over 10 years old now, both converted with Nano electric kits. I bought mine first to fit in my boat easily. Our mh garage is too small for big bikes, so its a bonus they fit easily.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny HB I’ve remembered why I was going for folders, I’ve bridged the deep bit in the garage and put a false floor above it and I have limited height nowView attachment 481383
Throw out that pretend BBQ, get rid of the shelf, stand the spare upright and buy some decent bikes. :giggle:
Folders will never be as ridged or as nice to ride as a proper bike.

Looking at your pic I'd forgotten how narrow a Sonic garage is, not a lot of room.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I use full size bikes currently but may switch to folding....and if I do it will be Bromptons - partly for garage spacebar also dont forget....when you arrive at the restaurant/bar/train station ...Bromptons fold very small and cn be taken inside too 👍

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Good choice with the Cube I’m on my second. My wife has a Fast4ward Edge which fold but we never fold it, it’s been a great bike she can’t pedal and this was one of the only bikes we could find at the time with a twist and go I don’t know if that’s the case now? It’s well built and with out any pedalling it still does around 8 miles on a full charge which I think is pretty good.
Happy shopping.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Throw out that pretend BBQ, get rid of the shelf, stand the spare upright and buy some decent bikes. :giggle:
Folders will never be as ridged or as nice to ride as a proper bike.

Looking at your pic I'd forgotten how narrow a Sonic garage is, not a lot of room.
Jesus Lenny , you are a right bit of work...lol

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
A friend of ours was returning to the U.K. a couple of weeks ago and offered to sell us his folding electric bike, virtually new he had done approx 8 miles on it. I love it as it’s very comfy and a great size for me. We were very lucky as he let us have it for 350 euros. In so saying we are thinking of buying another one and will probably have to stump up full price (hey-ho)! Unless anyone here has one for sale of course......!
Here is the bike;

Attachments

• 1DC2EFD1-0DD1-4851-9436-1736FAF7547C.png
    1DC2EFD1-0DD1-4851-9436-1736FAF7547C.png
    749.1 KB · Views: 32

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread