We Start A New Mini Tour At Last... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Man Plans, God Laughes...

We drove a massive 120 kms today and reached our destination... Laguiole.

This is where they make the famous knives, two of which Frankie has bought me as presents over the years.

20160813_145607.jpg

Just missed the 3 pm factory tour and the 4 pm one would be too late so we decided to park up and return tomorrow.

20160813_151648.jpg

The municipal camping just next to the factory was full...

Frankie found another 20 kms away so off we went. Frankie needed EHU for her fridge and wanted a shower. The shower in Max is temporarily cold water only.

The trip to the campsite involved a long, long climb up hill and, as we all know, what goes up often comes down.

On the descent, only 1 km from our destination, my brakes over heated and, with a certain amount of smoke drifting out from the near side wheel, the foot pedal went down to the floor!

Obviously Woosies would call out a breakdown truck but Rufty Tuftys are made of stronger stuff. A short break (geddit?) and after Frankie had scouted ahead for the exact location of the site, we progressed slowly on the hand brake plus a little bit of recovering footbrake and are now parked up at an acceptable site at St Chêly D'Aubrac.

More later but right now, footy calls...

JJ and Frankie :cool:

Deleted User

This is where they make the famous knives, two of which Frankie has bought me as presents over the years.

View attachment 119878

Just missed the 3 pm factory tour and the 4 pm one would be too late so we decided to park up and return tomorrow.

View attachment 119879

Frankie found another 20 kms away so off we went. Frankie needed EHU for her fridge and wanted a shower. The shower in Max is temporarily cold water only.

The trip to the campsite involved a long, long climb up hill and, as we all know, what goes up often comes down.

On the descent, only 1 km from our destination, my brakes over heated and, with a certain amount of smoke drifting out from the near side wheel, the foot pedal went down to the floor!

Obviously Woosies would call out a breakdown truck but Rufty Tuftys are made of stronger stuff. A short break (geddit?) and after Frankie had scouted ahead for the exact location of the site, we progressed slowly on the hand brake plus a little bit of recovering footbrake and are now parked up at an acceptable site at St Chêly D'Aubrac.

Frightening ain't it, should try it with 20 ton behind you and approaching a roundabout!:pray:

Divided loyalties on futty today I am afraid, son is a big City fan, Daughter is a season ticket holder at Sunderland which is where I am at the moment so off to the pub in a minute, think it might be packed:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+

View attachment 119878

View attachment 119879

ok you big dose,having cooked your brakes,you at least need to
change the brake fluid- ok i know that the brakes now seem as normal ----but first chance you get ,call in a garage and get them to change the fluid !
it will not cost very much ,and will give you a fighting chance next time you do a long descent!
and another thing ,120 kms is far to far in one day,slow up a bit and relax!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
After consulting with my engineering people (Google actually) and Funster, Mr Glastry's advice (he is my Algarve Automatic Gear Change Adjuster) posted above, I checked the footbrake pedal and it seems ok.

So we should be good to go... (I will have the brake fluid changed when labour is €15 an hour, not when it is €60.)

Today we have decided to rest up here...

20160814_092947.jpg

After my Princess has done girly things like washing up, showering and washing her hair, we plan to wander into the town in search of treats like burgers or steaks or ice cream and the like. Apparently it is a holiday weekend.

JJ :cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Nice and very hot day to come and we have decided to move towards Montauban. We probably won't reach it today as we have again some hilly roads to drive on. Now my question is shall I stay behind JJ's Hymer, and keep an eye on how he's doing:angel: ....with the brakes that is, getting bored and falling asleep whilst driving:sleep:, risking to bump into his beautiful....blablablah classic Hymer:love:, OR should I go in front, acknowledging him via Walky Talky of any potential danger coming ahead ....and so take the risk HE bumps into MY SUPERB Max... I need your help here to make the right decision:sneaky::whistle:. ( you should know that my Genny....with petrol in, is in my little garage,...at the rear of Max ...it might help you....):)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Stay in front Frankie, if JJ's brakes fail you can leg it and save yourself, if he starts rolling backwards down a hill and you are behind you have no escape. :rofl:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm wondering in the brakes failing is some Gypsy curse ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am hardly surprised his brakes are failing. Who in the right mind grows there own food in the motorhome. Tell him to throw out some of the cabbages.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
WARNING.

Freeloaders do not read on...

Contains upsetting information.

We are on another campsite. This will be the third night running.

We have driven smoothly, and with no problems, to a small riverside village called Cajarc.

My Princess had spotted a free aire with in 150 metres of the waterside but as we were heading towards it, we came upon a small, charming, quiet, private campsite right on the side of the river.

Loads of space and reasonably priced (so I have been told).

20160815_163639.jpg

I like it here so far. Am even thinking I might launch the boat...

Deleted User
WARNING.

We have driven smoothly, and with no problems, to a small riverside village called Cajarc.

My Princess had spotted a free aire with in 150 metres of the waterside but as we were heading towards it, we came upon a small, charming, quiet, private campsite right on the side of the river.

View attachment 120066

Well as you are paying to stay on a campsite( not all bad are they!)......you may as well......push the boat out........boom boom:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
WARNING.

View attachment 120066

Check the brakes on the boat, its not been used for a while.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A little while ago I realised that we have just spent €80 for the last 4 nights parking.

That is almost three reasonable meals out, even if you go large on the chips and the Coke.

I put my foot down and said "No more!".

We are on our way to a known, free, lakeside spot we enjoyed so very much last year.

Tonight's park up is very much a rufty tufty freeloaders' spot... I love it.

20160817_175747.jpg

On our last night at the Cajarc site, there was a huge thunder storm with lightning and pouring rain. (It coincided with the fireworks going off in Bucharest.)

My lettuce got soaked and went all limp... it seems to be getting better now...

20160817_174420.jpg

It's been overcast and a bit cooler today so not bad for travelling. The last two days have been reallt, really hot. Frankie has been in and out of the lake like a mermaid...

20160816_164916.jpg

20160816_164927.jpg

I even went in for a dip too. The photos of me have been censored out of consideration for the Funster Ladies. The forum people didn't want us to get them over excited. ;)

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I hate to say I told you so, but those lettuce still look like they have Bottom Rot :cool:.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
125 kms today but some of them on quite a big road...

Now back in Freeloaders' Paradise.

We have arrived at one of our very favourite off-site camping locations.

51 steps from the side of the lake. Last year we were here earlier in August and it was a little busy at times but now we are nearly on our own. There is BMW parked in MY space but I will take it over when he leaves.

20160818_140511.jpg

Miss Mermaid will be in the water straight after lunch!

20160818_140558.jpg

If I launch the boat, I will be a good boy and just row it... no engine this year... unless... ;)

JJ and Frankie. :cool:

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
:giggle:
125 kms today but some of them on quite a big road...

Now back in Freeloaders' Paradise.

We have arrived at one of our very favourite off-site camping locations.

51 steps from the side of the lake. Last year we were here earlier in August and it was a little busy at times but now we are nearly on our own. There is BMW parked in MY space but I will take it over when he leaves.

View attachment 120487

Miss Mermaid will be in the water straight after lunch!

View attachment 120488

If I launch the boat, I will be a good boy and just row it... no engine this year... unless... ;)

JJ and Frankie. :cool:

Nice bit of garnish going on in the front of the Hymer (y)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
:giggle:

Nice bit of garnish going on in the front of the Hymer (y)

Thank you...

I could have the very latest €150,000 Hymer motorhome but it wouldn't create as many smiles as my dash board vegetable garden does...

Everyday I have to tell the queue of hippies outside to clear off... "they are pea plants."

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Boo Hoo Hoo... :(

A really nice Nature Reserve Ranger chap called by this morning and told us we mustn't over night here. He thought we had been here one night. :whistle:

So we will have to move off in the evening (we know a place nearby) and come back in the morning.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Today is THE day….. Boat day that is !

Sky is grey , no children splashing about, a bit of rain now and then… Of course only a true sailor can enjoy this type of weather…..

So off to the lake …

Result!
SL376338.JPG
SL376343.JPG

Frankie ....and JJ the sailorman;):cool::)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Glad to see you are still 'wetting the lettuce'!!
Lovely lake settings but all that space and you have to park so close!! It's a French thing isn't it?!;)

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
what a lovely lake, and Is that you paddle boarding in the background Frankie?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009