Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Please can anyone recommend a motorhome repair firm to fix major damage to our 2 year old Rapido in South Wales or near to.
We should be in France now not home in wet Pembrokeshire the accident happened as we were travelling on Wednesday to Folkstone on the M4 junction 4b for the M25, stopped behind tailback of traffic on the slip road when a car leaving the M4 ploughed into the back of us. My husband ended up in hospital and the rear of the motor badly damaged. He is out now but on pain killers and will need to have physio no one else was hurt. The Thames Valley police were fantastic also the fire brigade and ambulance service.

Thanks Lesley

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi Lesley, I am so very, very sorry you have ended up in this situation. I cannot offer any advice as I am in Durham but the best of luck with your repairs and I hope you manage to get away very soon.
Wilf

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's terrible.

Aren't your insurers taking control of it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ladylea

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We should be in France now

Yes we are insured with the Caravan club and they have been really helpful so far

Lesley

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes we are insured with the Caravan club and they have been really helpful so far

Lesley

Well good luck with it. I think AAA Caravans in Cross Hands do repairs but I can't vouch for them personally.

OP
OP
Ladylea

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We should be in france now

I know Lyn and Aled the owners of 3 As also there are a couple of other firms I know about but just wondered if anyone had any actual work done by them that they would recommend them to others
Lesley

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Newport caravans are very good, but because of this busy

dont forget to note down and keep a record of EVERYTHING that you are out of pocket for, including lost holiday and fuel to and from repairers and claim it from the other party's insurance. They hit you in the rear so their fault 100% so no reason you should lose out by even 1p

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My husband ended up in hospital and the rear of the motor badly damaged.

Thanks Lesley

Ouch.

I think you'd better be thinking France next year unless you are lucky enough to get it written off. That has to be a very serious rebuild. Because you can't be 100% sure just how far the damage goes, unless you have X-Ray eyes, you'd be far safer pushing for a write off.

Since it was not your fault, I would have thought you should be able to hire a van now and charge the pillock.

robjk

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
SWANSEA
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 years
Please can anyone recommend a motorhome repair firm to fix major damage to our 2 year old Rapido in South Wales or near to.
We should be in France now not home in wet Pembrokeshire the accident happened as we were travelling on Wednesday to Folkstone on the M4 junction 4b for the M25, stopped behind tailback of traffic on the slip road when a car leaving the M4 ploughed into the back of us. My husband ended up in hospital and the rear of the motor badly damaged. He is out now but on pain killers and will need to have physio no one else was hurt. The Thames Valley police were fantastic also the fire brigade and ambulance service.

Thanks Lesley

Try carafit cross hands

http://www.carafit.co.uk/

they will give advice from pictures.

Rob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
hilldweller; Since it was not your fault said:
Yep. And if your husband makes a claim for his injury the pollock can pay for your spending money too.:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Lesley, very sorry to hear about this. We were hit on the side of the van last year, putting it off the road for about 2 months, but yours is obviously more serious than this.

The driver that hit us admitted that it was his fault (didn't have much option really) and all was straightforward, we didn't hire anything else and just let things take their course. All was sorted out in the end, but I sympathise with you and hope that your husband gets back to normal very soon.
But apart from the inconvenience it's the trauma caused to you both when it happened.
Hopefully some of the good advice given by others will help you get things sorted out.
Fingers crossed you'll be on the road before too long:thumb:
Margaret & Bill

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If your hubby is well enough, get onto your insurers, tell them you need to hire, furnish them with just a modicum of previous intention to do so, then hire a van, transfer your gear and head off while they all squabble amongst themselves.
I would have thought, that if the impact was enough to injure hubby, and knowing how weak vans are at the back, you will probably be looking at a write off........go make some memories.:thumb:

OP
OP
Ladylea

Ladylea

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
The model we have has a garage the impact has pushed the floor of the garage up to the chassis dont know if that is damaged offside electrics not working also the offside of the motorhome seems to have been pushed forward . Unsure if the water and waste tanks or pipes have been damaged they are both at the rear as there was water pouring into the garage and onto the floor the firebrigade thought at first it was fuel i think. Haven't checked the contents of the garage for damage as it has been raining and Gerald hasnt been up to it, i know when he is better he will start wanting to check everything. The legal department are sorting out any claims they have been in touch waiting for the assessor to contact us. thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Lesley

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If your husband has his own solicitor he can use him or her rather than the insurers choice ( who pay for the referral). They will tell you that you are not allowed to choose your own lawyer but trust me - for a rear end shunt you can. Plenty of decent firms in Pembrokeshire:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the damage you describe will mean the van is a write off and total loss. If I were you, I would be out looking for a replacement van ASAP

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back