We need to Replace our fire extinguisher interested in which one's funsters have purchased . (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks everyone , after reviewing all the ones mentioned on this thread we opted for the water mist one , had a good deal with free postage from this company . Thanks to Bailey58 for the link .

https://www.budget-fire.co.uk/1ltr-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/

Water mist extinguisher,

Is freezing a problem if left in unheated van over ( next ) winter?
SandraL I did check with the company if freezing could be a prob . They did say temp wise they are ok between 0 /60 .
Won't be an issue for us but maybe for others ?

Kind regards for all your comments very much appreciated .
Kate x

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I got one from Lidl. It’s new and fitted in van. I plan not to use it. 👍🥃😷
Same as insurance....must have but prefer not to use it..... I've used extinguishers many times on other people's vehicles....would feel a little helpless without one......every little bit helps.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
BigThank you for posting this (y), I am ordering one now, it seems that it will cope with all types of Fires I know that not everyone will want to pay for one of these and opt for a budget one, but if it stops a fire or saves someones life its worth every penny. Looking at the Blurb I wonder if Jim could see if a Funster discount could be organised as it appears to be a top product.

We have a couple of FireTool JE 50 fire extinguishers in our van, one in the kitchen area and one in my door pocket, plus we have a fire blanket to hand.

View attachment 494173

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
BigThank you for posting this (y), I am ordering one now, it seems that it will cope with all types of Fires I know that not everyone will want to pay for one of these and opt for a budget one, but if it stops a fire or saves someones life its worth every penny. Looking at the Blurb I wonder if Jim could see if a Funster discount could be organised as it appears to be a top product.

Due to this thread I checked ours and they are just out of date so I have just ordered two new ones from this company on eBay.
I checked the expiry date with them and it's 10/2025.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We were selling them at £39.99 at shows last year. Haven't checked if my supplier has changed the price this year yet.
How much are you charging for them now?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As if to prove the necessity of fire extinguishers, last week a fire in a motorhome on a THS at new milton was safely put out by the steward with an extinguisher. The owner was messing about by the leisure battery and it caused sparks and a fire. The owner tried to extinguish the flames to no avail. The steward pushed past and had the fire out within a minute.

Mostly smoke damage to the van and some melted wiring, but the owners very thankfull to still have a motorhome

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As if to prove the necessity of fire extinguishers, last week a fire in a motorhome on a THS at new milton was safely put out by the steward with an extinguisher. The owner was messing about by the leisure battery and it caused sparks and a fire. The owner tried to extinguish the flames to no avail. The steward pushed past and had the fire out within a minute.

Mostly smoke damage to the van and some melted wiring, but the owners very thankfull to still have a motorhome
Well done who ever the steward was....everyone should know the basics and their limitations of fire fighting, I taught it for nearly thirty odd years during my time in the Fire Service....it's the same as life support...everyone should know how to do Life support, CPR, stop a bleed.....just basic stuff how to extinguish a Fire, why carry an extinguisher and not know how to use it...what if this happened if it was a motorhome was in an isolated location with no Steward at hand...stay safe fellow motorhomers, make yourself aware of how to prevent and how to control a small fire, how to help save your partner's life....you might only get one chance....

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As far as I’m aware not a problem laid on it’s side😊

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
What ever you do don’t get a water or powder one.

Get one that produces mist, less mess and very effective.

This is what I’m using: https://www.safelincs.co.uk/1-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/

Water mist fire extinguishers, also known as 'dry' water mist fire extinguishers due to the microscopic water droplets they discharge, present ground-breaking technology. The design of the water mist extinguishers' supersonic nozzle creates a microscopic mist curtain which reduces the oxygen content (required for combustion) around the fire, extinguishes the flames and creates a highly effective cooling blanket on the hot fuel, preventing re-ignition.

These innovative units have also passed the 35kV di-electrical test and contain de-ionised water (which does not conduct electricity), making them safe to use on live electrical equipment from a minimum distance of 1m. Being safe for use on gas and electrical fires, water mist extinguishers are ideal for small kitchens, small boats, garages and areas where a messy discharge would be a problem. They are not suitable for deep fat fryers.

• Perfect for boats, caravans and domestic kitchens without deep fat fryers
  • Non-harmful and non-poisonous to humans and furniture etc.
  • Extinguisher Rating 5A, 8B
  • Can be used on class A, B, C type fires and live electrical equipment
  • On-site Commissioning & Installation available
  • No residue after discharge
  • 100% environmentally friendly
  • Safe on live electrical equipment of up to 1000V: 35kV Di-electrical tested and using non-conductive de-ionised water
  • CE marked and LPCB Certified
  • Supplied complete with wall mounting bracket
  • 5 Year Warranty
Owe and we have a fire blanket as well.

All fitted by the main door.
+1

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
No good for a motorhome or caravan, might put the fire out but the extra expense in cleaning up all the powder isn’t worth it.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
It is a condition in my insurance that I carry a fire extinguisher.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back