We need to Replace our fire extinguisher interested in which one's funsters have purchased . (1 Viewer)

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We need to Replace our fire extinguisher interested in which one's funsters have purchased and reasons for their choice , value all your comments thanks in advance
Kind regards Kate

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have a couple of FireTool JE 50 fire extinguishers in our van, one in the kitchen area and one in my door pocket, plus we have a fire blanket to hand.

1620473947868.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
When I replace ours, it will be with one of the new micro mist ones for in the van. Cleaning up a little water is less messy than the dry powder. One got set off in the back of my 4x4 by accident, made a hell of a mess.

Dry powder is a great general extinguisher though for tackling a minor fire if you don't care about mess

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Another vote for Firepal. As TheBig1 says, there’s no mess to clean up afterwards (except the effects of the fire!), the extinguishers are small, light and don‘t take up much room. They also have a very very long shelf life.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
+1 for the JE50

<Broken link removed>

They can be had for around a tenner less than this tho.

After suffering inhalation of dry powder and it converting me and my bowels into an oxtail soup dispenser, I thought I’d try something different......just in case 😱

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have a micro mist type as they don’t make to much mess and water doesn’t go off or need refilling until used.😊
Also carry a fire blanket👍

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
What ever you do don’t get a water or powder one.

Get one that produces mist, less mess and very effective.

This is what I’m using: https://www.safelincs.co.uk/1-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/

Water mist fire extinguishers, also known as 'dry' water mist fire extinguishers due to the microscopic water droplets they discharge, present ground-breaking technology. The design of the water mist extinguishers' supersonic nozzle creates a microscopic mist curtain which reduces the oxygen content (required for combustion) around the fire, extinguishes the flames and creates a highly effective cooling blanket on the hot fuel, preventing re-ignition.

These innovative units have also passed the 35kV di-electrical test and contain de-ionised water (which does not conduct electricity), making them safe to use on live electrical equipment from a minimum distance of 1m. Being safe for use on gas and electrical fires, water mist extinguishers are ideal for small kitchens, small boats, garages and areas where a messy discharge would be a problem. They are not suitable for deep fat fryers.

• Perfect for boats, caravans and domestic kitchens without deep fat fryers
  • Non-harmful and non-poisonous to humans and furniture etc.
  • Extinguisher Rating 5A, 8B
  • Can be used on class A, B, C type fires and live electrical equipment
  • On-site Commissioning & Installation available
  • No residue after discharge
  • 100% environmentally friendly
  • Safe on live electrical equipment of up to 1000V: 35kV Di-electrical tested and using non-conductive de-ionised water
  • CE marked and LPCB Certified
  • Supplied complete with wall mounting bracket
  • 5 Year Warranty
Owe and we have a fire blanket as well.

All fitted by the main door.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I see this one is sold by Seaflo who attend some of the shows.
Might be worth a look as they often do better prices at shows.

the cheap ones at seaflo manufactured in 2017 and out of date next year

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Water mist extinguisher,

Is freezing a problem if left in unheated van over ( next ) winter?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have just found a bcf extinguisher in the shed, it's over 30 years old, but still has pressure, does anyone know if it is still good?

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
I bought a Safelincs 1litre water mist extinguisher when it was £38, now £50. Luckily never had to use it, yet!

They have videos on it if you drill down into the product; can use it on chip fire, electrical, etc. Looks amazing!

CHEAPER as per #16 above.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Even if it is any good they are banned in Europe except for critical use for Aviation, Military etc.
Are they banned? or is it the sale that is banned? I have had this for about 35 years I know they are not sold now but is their use totally banned? and if it is what should I do with the extinguisher?

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Are they banned? or is it the sale that is banned? I have had this for about 35 years I know they are not sold now but is their use totally banned? and if it is what should I do with the extinguisher?
The production of BCF and similar chlorofluorocarbons has been banned in most countries since 1994.

Although America still recycles a lot of halon. production of halon containing extinguishers was supposed to cease in 2009.

If I was on fire, I’d use it and risk the prosecution.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can still buy them for use in aircraft a 1.5kg one is over £700.
For other use the deadline for disposing of them was December 2003, looks like you are a naughty boy.

From the Fire protection site:

Disposal of Halon Fire Extinguishers

If you still have any Halon fire extinguishers, they must be properly decommissioned and disposed of immediately – the official deadline was December 2003. Halon portable fire extinguishers are very distinctive, as their canister is painted in a rich British racing green.

It is worth noting that Nu-swift produced gold halon canisters, the army used dark olive-green and British Rail used yellow ones so always read the label.

Your local Civic Amenity site should accept Halon extinguishers for disposal, but do ring to check first with your local council. It is strictly illegal to just dump Halon fire extinguishers or to discharge them into the atmosphere.

Any existing Halon fire extinguishers should be taken to an authorised disposal agent with proper facilities to deal with disposal.

There are only three main exceptions for Halon fire extinguisher usage; in aircraft, military use including vehicles and fuel installations, and in the Channel Tunnel. So, don’t worry if you spot a green Halon fire extinguisher on an airplane – it’s allowed to be there!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
looks like you are a naughty boy.
I had forgotten all about it and found it when I cleared out the shed. I'm not sure what to do about it now, if I let it off it is still damaging to the environment so if I use it to put out a fire at least it's doing some good, but will it work after 35 years? I know they still have them on aircraft, my daughter used to fly for Virgin and had had to use one in anger, also she used them in training as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would take it to your local tip and leave it by the gas bottle cages and run for it before you get the Spanish inquisition.
You wouldn't want to try it on a fire and find it no work.

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
We had a few of these on the boat, which took up much less space than the conventional ones. What are the feelings about them in a motorhome? On the boat, it was 1 for the galley (with a blanket) and one per cabin, along with the carbon monoxide and smoke alarms.

Also had an engine bay automatic extinguisher as well, but have made the assumption that it's completely unnecessary on an mh.

https://firesafetystick.com/

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
I had forgotten all about it and found it when I cleared out the shed. I'm not sure what to do about it now, if I let it off it is still damaging to the environment so if I use it to put out a fire at least it's doing some good, but will it work after 35 years? I know they still have them on aircraft, my daughter used to fly for Virgin and had had to use one in anger, also she used them in training as well.
If there is a non emergency phone number for your local fire station you could phone them, they could probably advise you or may take it off your hands and dispose of it safely.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I have just found a bcf extinguisher in the shed, it's over 30 years old, but still has pressure, does anyone know if it is still good?
Believe the cylinder that's the main body has a lifespan of 10 years....BCF and other Halon gasses became out of favour many years ago due to their effect on the Ozone layer...
BCF works very well in fires where valuable items might be damaged by other medium...

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We only carry a fire blanket, it will smother most fires that might happen in a MH better than any extinguishers IMO

anything bigger I am standing back and leaving it to the fire brigade , it will almost certainly lead to a total loss anyway
Same here David just a blanket

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back