Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have three servers that help to deliver motorhomefun to you. But we've outgrown the main one that hosts our ever growing database and forum files. So we've just bought one that should cope. It has two x Intel Xeon processors. :D . Around 13TB of disk space with 1TB of that on fast solid state disks. That and the 128GB of RAM should keep us all zipping along quite nicely for at least the next three years. (y) Were testing it this weekend and @Gromett will be tweaking it for speed and hardening it up in the fight against Spammers. Not sure when we'll move over to it, we'll probably be ready in a couple or three weeks (y)

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I didn't understand any of that Jim but you're doing a damn good job.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I remember when we had an Acorn Computer and it came with instructions on how to write and record the code onto a C30. Cassette tape. It took my (then) 12 yo son and I, 3 days to write the code, test it and then hit the play button to make a stick man swing on a rope. Things must have advanced since then(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Is this a remote server enther that or you have one hell of a good Internet connection
Bill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have three servers that help to deliver motorhomefun to you. But we've outgrown the main one that hosts our ever growing database and forum files. So we've just bought one that should cope. It has two x Intel Xeon processors. :D . Around 13TB of disk space with 1TB of that on fast solid state disks. That and the 128GB of RAM should keep us all zipping along quite nicely for at least the next three years. (y) Were testing it this weekend and @Gromett will be tweaking it for speed and hardening it up in the fight against Spammers. Not sure when we'll move over to it, we'll probably be ready in a couple or three weeks (y)
You should offer your services to Amazon. I use their forum for self-publishers and the spam on it is a joke. Literally three pages of spam links isn't unusual.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Would it help data if I posted less?!:LOL:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is this a remote server enther that or you have one hell of a good Internet connection
Bill

Yes that is a rented remote server with a massive internet pipe atached

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Jim @Gromett AWS (et al) not cheaper / more flexible / higher availability / etc than physical kit these days?

Erm... it's not / It depends on what you are doing / it's not.

It is not cheaper. It is extortionately more expensive.
It is kind of more flexible in that you can resize to a degree, but there are limitations on things like kernels you can use and some software doesn't work.
Higher availability :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

By far the BIGGEST reason not to use any form of Virtualisation/Cloud/VPS system is performance. They NEVER perform at the speed of direct on hardware servers especially when you are hitting them with the load we are hitting our server. The only exception to this is if you go HUGE with load balancers and complex DNS tricks but then you are talking HUGE budgetary requirements.

I have been doing this for over 20 years now, I have tried all the cloud solutions at one time or another and they are over complex, over expensive and not as reliable as a good hardware stack you have full control over.

https://www.readitquik.com/articles/cloud-3/top-7-aws-outages-that-wreaked-havoc/

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
over expensive and not as reliable as a good hardware stack you have full control over.

Now you tell me... :doh:

Paid 7 shillings and sixpence for my server back in March 1965 or was it 66.. :RollEyes:

Been getting slower and slower the last few years... :crying1:

Have I got any redress on the registry office after 52 years..?

You know.......... Fit for purpose and all that legal jargon...

Perhaps Jim would sell me one of his old worn out one... got to be faster than the one I have now.. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Jim, whatever you're doing I think you are doing a sterling job, many, many thanks.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
IMG_20180302_221006.jpg

I had a new server upgrade at Christmas. Works well when she's at home on a Friday night. (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So can the new server cope with Windows 97?

Deleted User
Erm... it's not / It depends on what you are doing / it's not.

It is not cheaper. It is extortionately more expensive.
It is kind of more flexible in that you can resize to a degree, but there are limitations on things like kernels you can use and some software doesn't work.
Higher availability :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

By far the BIGGEST reason not to use any form of Virtualisation/Cloud/VPS system is performance. They NEVER perform at the speed of direct on hardware servers especially when you are hitting them with the load we are hitting our server. The only exception to this is if you go HUGE with load balancers and complex DNS tricks but then you are talking HUGE budgetary requirements.

I have been doing this for over 20 years now, I have tried all the cloud solutions at one time or another and they are over complex, over expensive and not as reliable as a good hardware stack you have full control over.

https://www.readitquik.com/articles/cloud-3/top-7-aws-outages-that-wreaked-havoc/
Interesting subject, platform providers would have you believe cloud based solutions are the only sensible option going forward, so good to see there is still a case to be put forward for the good old physical server rather than just following fashion. Whilst not fully understanding seems that if there is capacity for the future there must be spare capacity in the short term, can you rent it out?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So can the new server cope with Windows 97?

We did have a Windows Server once for about three months, it ended up costing me a small fortune paid to a couple of techies to stop it falling over, it was awful and we were rebooting daily at one point. Since then all of Fun's servers have been on centOS flavoured Linux. This is robust stuff, If we re-boot more than once a year something is wrong.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We did have a Windows Server once for about three months, it ended up costing me a small fortune paid to a couple of techies to stop it falling over, it was awful and we were rebooting daily at one point. Since then all of Fun's servers have been on centOS flavoured Linux. This is robust stuff, If we re-boot it more than once a year something is wrong.
download (1)_2.jpg

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting subject, platform providers would have you believe cloud based solutions are the only sensible option going forward,

I think cloud base solutions excel at storing large amounts of static data and are ideal for many, but are unsuited to our operation. Dedicated servers are best when you require exceptionally high levels of data security and or high demands for server capacity. Big, fast servers with access to a lot of bandwidth cost a small fortune, and thats just the start, managing them can cost as much again. But they really are the only solution for us.

Deleted User
I think cloud base solutions excel at storing large amounts of static data and are ideal for many, but are unsuited to our operation. Dedicated servers are best when you require exceptionally high levels of data security and or high demands for server capacity. Big, fast servers with access to a lot of bandwidth cost a small fortune, and thats just the start, managing them can cost as much again. But they really are the only solution for us.
Jim, may not have conveyed it very well, however, I was quite pleased to see the proposed solution, seems everyone goes cloud as default as if it is the only solution. I understand the costs of dedicated physical severs and hence my question 'Can you rent out the short term spare capacity'?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim, may not have conveyed it very well, however, I was quite pleased to see the proposed solution, seems everyone goes cloud as default as if it is the only solution. I understand the costs of dedicated physical severs and hence my question 'Can you rent out the short term spare capacity'?

Yes, you can, its so easy these days. We do rent some space to store old backups on it. But we tend to use a dedicated server for our backups. Cheap and cheerful low spec servers but we are in control of the security etc. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back