We improved our security and Saga have refused to insure us!!! (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
The world has officially gone mad! In order to improve the security of our motorhome, my current husband, who is very competent at DIY, fitted a Fiamma door lock/handle. When I rang Saga to get a quote for insurance I mentioned this, assuming that better security might result in lower premium. To my utter amazement, the underwriters refuse to insure us (because the vehicle has been "modified") unless we provide an engineer's report that the work has been carried out satisfactorily!!
Alternatively we could remove the device!!!

Fortunately the Caravan Club insurers have not taken this view so we will remain with them - despite their £10 renewal fee which I really object to!

Be warned - maybe you are better off not mentioning such "improvements"!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On another day you might have had a different result. The people you are speaking to generally know nothing about motorhomes and just follow a script. Sometimes they will go out on a limb and use their judgement, other times they don't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Your current husband! Hope your not changeing him any time soon?;)

We insure with NFU they don't require alarms or trackers and they are rated best by "Which" Our van is worth £70k so we have fitted both for our own peace of mind.
Our previous van was an Carthago Opus £120k still no problem to insure.

Wobby

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

We insure with NFU they don't require alarms or trackers and they are rated best by "Which" Our van is worth £70k so we have fitted both for our own peace of mind.
Our previous van was an Carthago Opus £120k still no problem to insure.

Wobby
As you know we have an Exsis as well, NFU were over twice the price of Comfort, don't mind a bit of difference but over double was a bit much.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I better check with Saga as I answered unmodified when changing the Motorhome details to our latest one, but it has a similar door locking device fitted. Better to know now than if I have to claim.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Be warned - maybe you are better off not mentioning such "improvements"!!

But if you don't and something goes pear shaped they can disown you.

It's a lose lose situation.

Worst case scenario. You leave MH, you lock new lock. FIRE. Fire brigade struggle to get in. Insurers blame you.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
TPMM
Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Wobby

Hilldweller knows the significance of the "current"!! Whilst my husband drives me round and empties the loo and does all the other little jobs that men do, (sorry to be sexist!) he doesn't have to worry too much, but it does no harm to keep him on his toes!!

By the way it was the underwriters that refused cover not the "telephone jockey".

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Trouble is, that some of these jumped up "telephone jockeys" think they are expert underwriters.

I certainly don't know and am, therefore, probably quite wrong but I suspect the "insurance" person on the end of the phone just asks questions written on the screen of the computer and has no say in any decision making.

JJ :cool:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We only have one habitation door on our van, and I have thought about the fiamma door locks on the garage etc. So far resisted doing it. Any ideas ?
Phil

A: with this device locked it's obvious that van unoccupied

B: dont they have a reputation for failing and being difficult to open?

If your going to do the job do it properly. Just shop around for locks/locksmiths, Google “commercial vehicle security” and get quotes from trade suppliers. You will soon learn that when the word “Motorhome” is placed in front of any product the price can magically double!

quote Lenny
"I wouldn't recommend the Fiamma handle makes it even easier for the thief. Gives them something to pull on and the fixings pull out through the van wall, happened to a friends van in City Europe did extensive damage to the van wall."

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We only have one habitation door on our van, and I have thought about the fiamma door locks on the garage etc. So far resisted doing it. Any ideas ?
Phil
Yes I fitted these last year to the garage and hab doors,
Very well made and the hab ones can be open from inside if locked with or without keys,

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Well if that is a `modification` that affects your premium to the extent they won`t insure you I`d be thinking about getting the engine re-mapped and having a nitro injection system fitted to justify the rejection ! Then send them an engineers report from Santa Pod raceway .
That is one sad state of affairs, so anyone self fitting anything could be classed as a modification that requires a report. Makes you think where the insurance industry is going really. I had deadlocks fitted professionally to my `Boxer` and fitted the Fiamma gear myself including the bike rack and habitation door handle - no reduction for the locks but no rejection or increase either. Guess changing the tyres from factory fit to any others could count also ? On and on it goes

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I called esure for a quote for my car (0800) I gave them my registration Number. They came up with a different model car than mine so COULDN'T quote me.
I checked online with them and my car came up no problem..........if i put in that the car has been modified ( with parking sensors ) it won't quote me. I always call direct and let them know about the sensors.
The internet and social media are great for getting the best value insurance these days.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Fortunately the Caravan Club insurers have not taken this view so we will remain with them - despite their £10 renewal fee which I really object to!
@TPMM, we told the Caravan Club that we were not willing to pay the £10 renewal fee as we thought it was despicable to penalise loyal customers. They immediately said that they would not charge the £10 and so they got our business for another year.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They all do that! Safeguard offer a 25 % discount if you sign up....I wonder who is paying for that do you think! Us long term suffers/members or the directors!? Grrr"..... :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Phil
Can't comment re putting the Fiamma lock on garage but we have one fitted to our presentM/H and will have one on the new one.

We really put it in because of it acting as an extra handle on the steps as my wife has had both knees replaced and needs the extra help.

On returning to a car park in Pisa a couple of years ago three out of five Motorhomes parked there had been broken into. Of the two that weren't we both had such locks on. It may be coincidence but I doubt it.

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
As you know we have an Exsis as well, NFU were over twice the price of Comfort, don't mind a bit of difference but over double was a bit much.

We pay £70 a month for both van and car, don't know how that compares though.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Oh come.. you can probably wrench the fiamma off with bare hands. To much purchase allowed :(
Plus the amount of damage it will cause
You are trying to discourage the opportunist. Nothing will stop a determined one who, as you say, will damage anything to get in.

I repeat, ours was fitted to enable my wife to get in and out of the M/H more comfortably. Security, though a secondary consideration, is still better than without.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Read Lenny's earlier post. They are thin aluminium and have a reputation of failing...i.e. unable to get in. Do you really think a desperate man is going to let something so easy to man handle stop him lol

Plus your advertising the fact that van unoccupied?

Fit proper dead locks my advice

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Read Lenny's earlier post. They are thin aluminium and have a reputation of failing...i.e. unable to get in. Do you really think a desperate man is going to let something so easy to man handle stop him lol

Fit proper dead locks my advice
Point noted!

Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's a lot £840 a year, our van and car come to £414.

Our Exsis costs £252 + £12 for £1000 worth of Audio/Sat cover. Total £264

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

wow you must live in some insurance nightmare zone..... car £175 motorhome £298 with euro recovery ( £240 without)

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I am sick of insurance companies, and especially saga, who are under new management this last couple of years. I have yo yoed back and forth with them over the years, but the same with some of the others, after quoting sensible one year and rediculous the year after. If the policy has gone up say£30 then I can't be bothered changing, but it's more on the hundreds, so back to the computer for a couple of hours and pick out one of the other well known ones at decent money, usually less than the ones I am leaving were last year. After two years with saga for my old discovery, it has come through double again this year, and no changes to policy. Won't stay with them now even if they alter it to what I paid last. My RV is with Lancaster, and remains fairly stable at just over £300 . Watch, they will go and double it now this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back