We have all done some silly things....................... (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Spriddler said:
I don't go with that assumption that the gearbox will wear prematurely. I suppose it will wear more than if one didn't change down but not enough to justify his reasoning

It will wear far quicker staying in 5th, or 6th as most will shake the vehicle to bits below certain speeds. I had a transit that you couldn't have in 5th below 40 & 4th below 30 . Just to slow.

As I said, you depress the clutch as late as possible in whichever gear you are in and coast then brake to stop.. And you wouldn't be doing 40mph or in 5th gear in town........ We don't make the rules, the 'experts' do.

pappajohn said:
Ever wondered why, at MOT, it's tested with the brake rollers turning THEN the brake applied in the same way the main brakes are tested ?

Never seen that? Certainly not done here.

That's how it's done in the UK. Again, we don't make the rules.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a Viva HC the handbrake bracket splitter rots off the back axle. But before failing all together it bends, making the lever go high, ordering a new cable doesn't work. I considered tieing a knot in it though :D2
Terrible car.
Believe it or not in the mid 70s Vauxhall did a specific clamp to shorten the handbrake cable.... It even had its own part number. :eek:
As I said in another post it was proved the cables of the day did stretch
Nothing more than a miniature U bolt and clamp plate.
MOTs where so much simpler then. :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pappajohn said:
As I said in another thread yesterday.. NEVER rely on the handbrake alone, always leave in 1st or reverse gear as well.

You'd fail the driving test when we were taught doing that.
Was never part of the test.... Just common sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shirl sent me this from faceless...
Don't know how they plan on lifting the rear with that telehandler.
They'd be better dragging it back up the way it went down... The damage is already done.

IMG-20190520-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Believe it or not in the mid 70s Vauxhall did a specific clamp to shorten the handbrake cable.... It even had its own part number. :eek:
As I said in another post it was proved the cables of the day did stretch
Nothing more than a miniature U bolt and clamp plate.
MOTs where so much simpler then. :(
I remember that U bolt clamp to shorten hand brake cables that had stretched, it was available in most motor factor shops.
As for the handbrake being primarily a "safety Brake" in the 70's my first car was a mini.
I remember being so angry with an MOT tester guy that would take the cars out the garage on the road up to 20/25MPH and then yank on the handbrake to see if the car pulled up equally applying same pressure to each rear wheel.
I got angry because although he passed my Mini, he had infact pulled the hand brake lever so hard it had torn the metal in front of the floor bracket.(No Rust just a weak point after that abuse)
I then had to get it welded, but then I was having to have new side floor sills fitted every 3/4 years on all my minis anyway.
Les

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just read this on another site, can't help feeling sorry for the couple

https://www.obantimes.co.uk/2019/05...nHpyAcXP__uSm5QqDFgKLtnUkLBlwRfMuCe8j0BqdqGuk

Gotta feel for them... Providing the underside is ok I reckon they got away remarkably lightly :)

Nah, they keep changing things
I was taught to slow down using gears and stop using brakes..... Daughter passed her test a couple of years ago....... Use brakes to slow down, press clutch as late as possible for whatever gear you're in and stop, change to first gear after stopping.

Oddly, in 1967 I was taught the same as you daughter... bloke sai what is cheaper to fix ? New brakes or new clutch...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Shirl sent me this from faceless...
Don't know how they plan on lifting the rear with that telehandler.
They'd be better dragging it back up the way it went down... The damage is already done.

View attachment 305042
If you go on the OP link and then click on the the word 'here' at the bottom of the report you can see how it was done.. And how little damage happened :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you go on the OP link and then click on the the word 'here' at the bottom of the report you can see how it was done.. And how little damage happened :)
Missed that John.
Looking at the still pic it looked like a bar and a couple of chains forming a triangle. Couldn't see the wheel straps.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not as bad as the HA Viva
Amazingly, HA Viva vans bad great bangers !... they were so light, when someone hit you they just sort of bounced off !!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not conducive with ramming your opponents though.... You just sort of.. Bounced off :LOL:
Well its like this..
Under the bonnet there is a nice square of almost flat bits round the engine bay
I used to put in a square of 5" angle iron....
Andddd.... The only way to win when your banger racing is not to HIT other cars, just get up behind them, and push.. Far more effective (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Here’s a question , hgv ( when I drove ) had exhaust brake did any light vehicles have them ? I don’t think so
our Mercedes 709 and 608 had them shut off the pump and a butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
To my disbelief my son's instructor told him the same. His reasoning was that replacing brake pads was cheaper than replacing gearboxes.
I don't go with that assumption that the gearbox will wear prematurely.

I took the St. John Ambulance driving qualification, based on the Police high speed driving course, about 25 years ago and that is what I was taught. The instructor drummed it into us that “Gears are for going. Brakes are for stopping.”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back