We have a 'bonus' French issued EU pet passport (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a French Passport for the dogs? is it 3 weeks for the blood test, or can we have the rabies vaccination here before we go and have the blood test done over there as soon as we arrive?
No you cannot (should not) get the rabies jab done before you go abroad expecting it to be transferred to an EU passport. You must get it done by the vet issuing the EU passport, no vet should just transfer the information (and the sticker from the vaccine) over, at least you should not rely on them doing so. If your dog has recently had a rabies booster in the UK to travel I would not want them to have another too soon. You need to plan all this. *BTW with the first rabies vaccination you wait 21 days before travel.
If you state your dogs circumstances it's easier to advise.
Your dog doesn't need a blood test. You can have the rabies jabs done here and an EU vet may be happy to transfer the info into an EU passport. There's a lot of info on the forum about what's needed so have a shuftie and then let us know if there's anything that's not clear.

A UK issued PP is no longer a recognised document in the EU however it's a useful thing to have so that if you have the rabies jabs done in the UK it can still be entered into it by the vet so is all kept together in one document just as previously, this info then can be used by an EU vet to do an EU PP for your dog. It doesn't matter what PP you have as it's totally irrelevant to what you do for your dog.
Minxy, all I do not agree with is the expectation that an EU vet might transfer details of the rabies vaccination over. This is highly unlikely, even before all this Brexit stuff they generally didn't enter vaccinations unless they did them. Izzy's Spanish passport was blank for vaccinations until they were administered. The first rabies was actually added in Portugal, 3 year jab.
Lastly. These vets that are advising people that their pets need an AHC to travel when they have valid EU passports want educating.
Really lastly. How many times do people with valid EU pet passports need telling they can travel without an AHC? 🤦🏽‍♀️
Footnote. If your holiday is longer than 4 months and you haven't got your pet issued with an EU pet passport while you are away you would need to see a vet (actually more of a special export department) in the country you are in and get an EHC, an Export Health Certificate. This is all EU stuff. I have no idea about outside of EU.
Oh, funny this, some vets, in Spain at least, are telling owners of valued EU pet passported dogs that they need to get an EHC to travel to UK and back. Yeah, also wrong, I have triple checked this. Janie

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No you cannot (should not) get the rabies jab done before you go abroad expecting it to be transferred to an EU passport. You must get it done by the vet issuing the EU passport, no vet should just transfer the information (and the sticker from the vaccine) over, at least you should not rely on them doing so. If your dog has recently had a rabies booster in the UK to travel I would not want them to have another too soon. You need to plan all this. *BTW with the first rabies vaccination you wait 21 days before travel.
Minxy, all I do not agree with is the expectation that an EU vet might transfer details of the rabies vaccination over. This is highly unlikely, even before all this Brexit stuff they generally didn't enter vaccinations unless they did them. Izzy's Spanish passport was blank for vaccinations until they were administered. The first rabies was actually added in Portugal, 3 year jab.
If the dog's rabies jab is due before they leave the UK then there will be no choice but to have it done before leaving by a UK vet and also get an AHC (and do the worming) before travel within the required timescale. As for transferring the info, others have confirmed that some EU vets WILL transfer the rabies vac info (when given in the UK) into a new EU passport so it isn't as cut and dried as you make it, it is, however, best to confirm this with an EU vet before leaving the UK. If the dog doesn't actually need the rabies jab before leaving the UK (ie its still within the expiry date) then there's no problem as it can be done by an EU vet if it's due at the time the EU passport is produced, if not then when they next return to the EU before it expires.

Lastly. These vets that are advising people that their pets need an AHC to travel when they have valid EU passports want educating.
Yup, if I found out that I'd been told I needed one and forked out for it only to find later that I didn't I'd be round to the vet as soon as I returned demanding my dosh back (minus the wormer obviously).

Really lastly. How many times do people with valid EU pet passports need telling they can travel without an AHC? 🤦🏽‍♀️
I know, but they STILL need the worming treatment so would have to go to the vet for it.

Footnote. If your holiday is longer than 4 months and you haven't got your pet issued with an EU pet passport while you are away you would need to see a vet (actually more of a special export department) in the country you are in and get an EHC, an Export Health Certificate. This is all EU stuff. I have no idea about outside of EU.
Yes the AHC is only valid for 4 months hence why people have been advised to get an EU PP once in the EU to avoid the issue and ensure that future travel is much cheaper and less hassle as an AHC will not be needed each time (just worming).

Oh, funny this, some vets, in Spain at least, are telling owners of valued EU pet passported dogs that they need to get an EHC to travel to UK and back. Yeah, also wrong, I have triple checked this. Janie
At least it's not just UK vets that are 'uneducated' then!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back