Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I hope your motorhome is a complete wright off for your sake, as we are still waiting for parts for ours after 4 months, best of luck

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I recall the same thing being said when I was learning over 30 years ago so the same factor probably applies to many of us older drivers as well as to today's learners :)
Er, I think you missed a 'zero' out of your 30 year date, Graham......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
OI!! I can still sing "When I'm 64" knowing it's in the future :LOL::LOL:
Graham, you are a man of impeccable reputation, with a truly singular view of the truth, and I for one would never question your honesty. If you say you are truly under the age of 64, then well, that is then factual.:)(y)

However..........I have seen a photo purporting to be your good self. :cry:

I can only say in all honesty, that you haven't worn well.......... :whistle::whistle:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, you are a man of impeccable reputation, with a truly singular view of the truth, and I for one would never question your honesty. If you say you are truly under the age of 64, then well, that is then factual.:)(y)

However..........I have seen a photo purporting to be your good self. :cry:

I can only say in all honesty, that you haven't worn well.......... :whistle::whistle:
Dave, I did tell you about your mirror. Don't say you're mistaking it for a photo of someone else as well now :ROFLMAO:

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I agree with the comments about current driving standards, I drive all over the country for my job and see potential accidents like this every day. It seems to be true that the current L driver training system only covers the basics but not how to drive in real world conditions. It amazes me that a 17 year old can go from never having driven at all , have just enough lessons to reach test standard and then pass the test at say 9 am and by ten am be on the motorway. I know that's an extreme example but illustrates the point. Ok , not many will pass that quickly but some do , I know because for a short time I worked as a driving instructor. One pupil drove perfectly on his first lesson as though he had been doing it for years and went on to pass after only five or six lessons.
On the subject of the A34 , one of the drivers on our company was unlucky enough to be stationary in a queue on this road a couple of years ago and was hit from behind by a young idiot who wasn't paying attention. He didn't wake up sadly. It's time that the driving test was changed to make it more realistic, maybe including some compulsory M way lessons before being allowed to attempt the test, but it all costs money and especially in the current economic climate I think it's very unlikely to change in the near future. So let's be extra vigilant out there and those of you with children at or approaching driving age please try and point them in the right direction. Sorry to get on my soapbox about this , let's hope the young
Woman and her baby are ok .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I recall the same thing being said when I was learning over 30 years ago so the same factor probably applies to many of us older drivers as well as to today's learners :)
Only the roads were quieter, far less traffic, slower cars, better manners, better road surfaces and now we have a whole heap of experience :)

I was posted to Germany with the Army and did 20 straight years over there. Loved the German system and approach to driving and the tests they have, including motorways, vehicle maintenance and first aid and all have to be passed to gain a licence, we could learn lots from our European cousins. On the occasions when I did venture back to the UK, I noticed on each subsequent visit how much busier our roads were becoming and how much more dangerous they were too. Also had to get used to our laws that allowed people to park on the kerbside, even in the most stupid of locations, often facing the wrong way and oblivious of the danger they caused :Eeek:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I blame the government, (always do) the driving test has nothing to do with driving, all they are taught is how to pass the test, not how to drive. Glad you are OK and hope they are too!

As an ex driving instructor, I would be pleased to hear how you know that they are only taught how to pass a test, not how to drive.

In my experience that was not the case, but I guess you know different.

When I worked, I found that most " older experienced" drivers, hadn't read the Highway Code since passing the test, even if they took the test just after the Romans left England!:)

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I blame the government, (always do) the driving test has nothing to do with driving, all they are taught is how to pass the test, not how to drive. Glad you are OK and hope they are too!

But 99% of all drivers, especially motorcyclists, believe that they are unbelievably skilled at driving the safety rules and regulations (particularly speed limits) are totally inapplicable to them.

OP
OP
S

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
I also should of put we have a ferry booked for our 2 weeks away on the 21st of this month looks like I may have to get the tent out

OP
OP
S

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
well just a bit of an update I have had 3 places look at doing the repair work and all have said that they think its a write off .
the guy from the insurance has to come out next I will let you know what happens next when I find out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back