We finally made it ... we're in Wales!!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry for not posting yesterday.

Forgot to say on Tuesday we went into Caernarfon again and got some milk from Iceland and just couldn't resist the 2kg of prime chicken breast reduced to £5 ... good job we have a large fridge and fairly good sized freezer although we had also bought 4 ice-cream lollies so we scoffed a couple and the remaining two had to go in the freezer too! :giggle: We had a natter to another two MHing couples who decided to stop the night too but were up and off by 8.00 am! :oops:

After we'd managed to extract ourselves from our pits we took the dogs for a last potter in the park just across the road then we left Caernarfon and drove along the coast road but not much coast could be seen and some of the roads were a bit narrow so I wouldn't recommend taking a wide MH down them unless you are very confident. We stopped near Nefyn (ENE from Morfa Nefyn) at a large tarmac parking area with walks emanating from it where we intended to have a walk to the beach and some lunch. It was coolish when we got there, windy and overcast but we wrapped up warm and pottered to the beach about 8 minutes walk away along the edge of fields with sheep in who just looked at us as if to say "hey-up, there's some more English nutters off for a potter"! :LOL: It was a very nice beach although the tide was in so not much of the expanse of sand to see however we managed not to get our feet wet walking round the rocks etc to get from one part to another. The walk back was better as the sun had come out and it was quite warm so, as rain was predicted for a good few days to come rather than move on we decided to stop and enjoy the warm weather playing with the dogs for a while, unfortunately it was a bit too breezy to sit out comfortably so hubby did some more planning, pottering etc and I did my puzzle book whilst I sprawled out on the front seats sunning myself in my mobile 'conservatory' :cool:

Today we had another drive around and to a nice bit of beach near Pwllheli, it was fairly warm and bright but still required coats not that it bothered the dogs who enjoyed snuffling the rock pools etc and for us to take our sarnies down there for lunch later on, the the rain started so off again and stopped at Tesco at Porthmadog to get fuel and a bit of shopping (bread, more milk etc) ... we did manage to resist more reduced chicken! 😁 After taking the inland scenic road (A470) towards Dolgellau we've stopped at Cymer Abbey next to the old bridge for tonight. We've had a walk to the abbey ruins an chatted to a local couple with their toddler who was besotted with Tazzy (as Tazzy was with her!), then a nice cheat chicken stew for tea (cooked chicken, chicken stock, tinned carrots & tinned spuds ... lovey!).

Although we'd love it to be warmer we're not complaining as we're enjoying ourselves and I'm managing to do more walking each day without getting overly tired, talking of which, I'm pooped so going to have a shuftie on the forum for a bit before bed.

Some photos of Nefyn beach and parking.

Beach 1 - r.JPG
Beach 2 - r.JPG
Beach 4 - r.JPG
Nefyn 3 - r.JPG
Nefyn 7 - r.JPG

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
It was great to have a chat this morning to you and your husband. We are off for an extensive full day tour around Anglesey tomorrow including Plas Newydd , Beaumaris and a couple of fab beaches. Enjoy your trip in God's country.
Are you going to the Gaol jail whilst there..not a huge attraction but interesting half hour

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well yesterday we were up late and didn't exactly rush! Took dogs for a nice potter along one of the walkways for a little while then set off for a nice drive along the A470/A487 to Machynlleth and the scenic road down to Llyn Clywedog reservoir/lake for a late lunch, it was so nice and sunny we decided to stay for an extra hour sitting on the picnic benches whilst the dogs pottered, so warm we didn't need coats and it was ideal to top up our vitamin D levels. :giggle:

Once the clouds started to cover the sun we decided it was time to be off so a nice drive through the rest of the beautiful scenery despite the rain showers trying to spoil it, we still enjoyed it, travelling via Llangurig, Rhayader and Builth Wells to our night stop at the old Railway Station (now a museum and cafe) at Erwood. We couldn't go in as the museum was shutting but I managed to have a quick potter and take some snaps before the rain started again ... the place made me think of old-mo due to railway carriages being used as part of the building. I was doing a posting on here but unfortunately my laptop needed charging:blush: hence the delay until today so it was a case of more puzzle booking instead, not that I'm complaining. :giggle: Lots of rain for the rest of the evening and pretty much all night ... memo to self ... do NOT park under trees when it's raining ... when the rain stopped all we got was the loud dripping off the trees instead! :doh: Today I took another photo of Erwood for you lot (must be mad!) so you can see it from the picnic area (we were parked on the left overnight where the cars are but moved so the walkers could park up today), we then managed a very quick potter around the outskirts of picnic area before the heavens opened again so we were off.

Erwood station 1.JPG
Erwood station 2.JPG
Erwood station 3 - r.jpg

A gentle drive past Brecon onto the scenic road south to Talybont and Pontsticill reservoirs, pausing at the latter to give the dogs a nosy at the water during a dry period and chatted to a couple of lovely lads (20s) who were there visiting friends in the area, eventually the rain started again so a quick dash back to the van ended it but it was time for lunch anyway ... nice hot French toast - eggy-bread to the uneducated :LOL:. We then travelled down towards Merthyr Tydfil turning up the A470 back north towards Brecon before going down the A4059 scenic road going south (we do like zig-zagging. 😁 Once we hit the main A465 dual carriageway we turned west and eventually via the A4109 and A4221 went north-east on the A4067 towards Sennybridge, lovely views but due to the weather I didn't get the opportunity to take any photos ... sorry guys. :oops2:

We stopped for a coffee before traveling to our night stop just west of Brecon in one of their carparks to the west on Fenni Fach Road, the car parks are free overnight (6.00 pm to 8.00 am) and allow MHs to stop, it's a lovely spot and we are parked right by the river with a few others. The rain stopped eventually and we were able to get the dogs out for a nice walk after tea. Its nice and quiet so hopefully we'll have a nice kip although we'll need to be off by 8.00 am otherwise it's £2 an hour for MHs to park up (only £1 for cars). Some piccies below showing the front parking area next to the river, our view of the river - you can just see the castle in the distance - along with the lovely park/walk next to the river which stretches further in too and goes on for a long way, you can also walk from the parking towards the castle and centre of Brecon along the promenade itself.

Brecon 2.JPG
Brecon 5 original - r.JPG
Brecon 3 original - r.JPG
Brecon 4 original - r.JPG

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No report today as too tired so will make up for it tomorrow also I don't want to give you any clues as to where I am so you lot can have a bit of fun guessing in the meantime. :giggle:

where am i parked.JPG
where am i.JPG

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Well, Im about 60 miles behind you at Cricceith, and Im not 100%v
BUT
ABER means waters meeting and I spose it depends who it IS you are WYTH .
love the golf there :) and 2 days will be on it

enjoy, am loving the posts

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Okay, seeing as no-one guessed where I was I'll tell you ... Aberystwyth ... more of that later though! :giggle:

Sunday, after having a nice quiet night at Brecon we went down the road for breakfast then had a drive north along the B4519 and A483 then a small road on the right at Baulah in the direction of Tregaron. We then hit a problem (not literally!) -at the start of the small road there was a sign which said 'no caravans' but there were so many humps in the road they'd have grounded, not to mention the bends and narrowness at times which they wouldn't have got round/through as the manoeuvring would've been very, very difficult whilst towing, so we thought that these were the reasons for the 'ban'. Whilst it was quite narrow at some points it was nothing that we couldn't go through that made it 'silly' to continue, so of course we did. When we got to Nant Irfon a few miles along we stopped as it was raining heavily, we then we set to go up the next bit .. a road upwards with a 25% incline ... hmmmmmm .... now we may be brave but we aren't stupid - in summer with nice dry weather it might have been possible but a narrow road with rocks on one side, trees on the other and bit of a bend at the start, not to mention the rain which was starting to run down the road itself we didn't feel it sensible to go any further and risk losing traction and ending up in a misshapen heap at the bottom or meet a vehicle coming down the slope with nowhere to go, so for once we though, that's it, backtracking it is. We had a coffee whilst we perused the map to see where we were going to go instead and stopped a motorist who had just come down it to ask how he found the road ... he said it was tight at times and hadn't enjoyed the drive so it sounds like we made the correct decision not to attempt it ... shame as I'm sure it would've been a lovely drive.

We drove back down to Llanwrtyd Wells then along the A483 to Llandovery, up the A482 and B4343 (supposed to be scenic but just bendy and boring), this got us to Devil's Bridge (bridges and waterfalls) but realised we'd been before and there was no way on earth either of us would be able to do it with the numerous steps down and up so another coffee was called for before we headed to Aberystwyth along the A4120. We had a fair bit of rain but lots of bright intervals too so we were still able to enjoy the lovely scenery en-route - oh this was despite our possessed satnav constantly giving us wrong instructions, showing us one road to go down (the wrong one) but giving us the correct verbal instructions ... extremely strange!

At Aberystwyth we stayed on the north end of the prom away from the 'posh' end (no ban for MHs, 4 hours free parking, and no restriction on Sundays at all); the main beach said no dogs from 1st May but the where the prom stopped was dog friendly so the mutts had a lovely time pottering on the rugged rocks in the sea, peering in the little pools and splashing around before heading up to have a good old sniff at the stones near the cliffs where we sat with them for a while enjoying the nice sunshine. Back at the MH I sat out with my puzzle book for a while then a couple in their MH who were parked further down near the busier end moved up towards us and we had a good old chin wag for a while followed by a late tea. We had a nice peaceful night despite it being right next to University student accommodation, the students congregated at the end near the cliffs in groups but didn't cause any disturbance at all, the beach was spotless this morning too which was a pleasant surprise although all those we spoke to were very friendly and polite. Due to the 4 hours parking allowance we didn't have to rush off this morning so had a potter onto the grass bank/cliffs at the end of the road with the dogs sniffling around and being fussed by students. We departed just before noon and had a quick trip to Lidl for milk, bread etc then to Texaco for fuel (£1.259 a litre then we were off and up to Machynlleth where I had a potter round the charity shops whilst hubby did us a later lunch (eggy bread again ... yum :tounge:. It was lovely sunny weather albeit a bit breezy so we had a drive along the A493 to Rhoselefain then onwards northwards, stopping at Aberdovery, a lovely little port village for a potter with the dogs.

Following the A493 again, which I have to say is a stonkingly beautiful road and can easily compete with some of the coastal ones in mainland Europe etc, we eventually got to Fairbourne and drove to the tip of the land as far as we could before dropping into the estuary! There were already a few MHs parked up so we joined them, beach one side and estuary the other. then took the dogs for potter, walking over the small sand dune we were presented with a beautiful wide and very long beach ... WOW! Tazzy ran off like a thing demented, romping away to the sea despite her not liking water, closely followed by Lily and both proceeded to play with a 1 year old fluffy dog (not sure what it was!) . We had lovely views across the estuary to Barmouth, where we will be visiting tomorrow, and continued with a walk to the end of the dunes to where the little narrow gauge railway runs to/from then round to the estuary side with a great view of the old railway bridge. It was a this point that Tazzy fell 'in love' with a 12 year old cross JR/Yorkie who certainly did NOT look his age ... she was fussing round, wagging and flirting with him like mad ... obviously she wanted a sugar-doggy! :LOL:

Well, that's it for tonight - I've sorted through my photos which I'll post tomorrow as it's way too late to start messing with them now especially since my laptop battery is nearly flat - it'll keep you 'eager' for my next instalment! 😁

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I was going to ask how Mel thought nobody guessed but you said you were 60 miles away lol 😂
Yup Im on a similar route probs a day or so later, but have had to head back home (merseyside) for an unexpected work issue, but will be back on on track again this next week.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Really enjoying your trip, reminds me how lucky I am to be able to pop over to these places on a weekend OK i have to go home for work but now I have solar (once its working properly) I should not be restricted to to going back home working from home is far more fun when you can work from wheels . Please keep posting

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was going to ask how Mel thought nobody guessed but you said you were 60 miles away lol 😂
erm......heloooooo :)
see my cryptic response.
Sounds like you are having a cracking time.
Sorry, didn't know where Cricc.... was at the time! :giggle: I do now though so have decided to scarper back home past there before you have time to come and get within spitting distance of me again! :LOL:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The roads you describe - specifically the Tregaron to Beulah road - are lovely on a motor bike, but only when dry!
Sounds good, mind you I suspect some of the idiotic car drivers we've met could take you out if you're not careful. :oops:
Are you still criss crossing Wales or heading homeward?
Still in good old Wales heading north again now though as we have to be back home by Sunday at the latest as the car is in for its service first thing Monday.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The narrow road in the direction of Tregaron where we had to do a route reversal at Nant Irfon when we met our match, the 3rd photo shows the start of that part of the road just before the 25% incline and before the downpour when it decided it wanted to imitate a waterfall:

Nant Irfon Road 1 - Copy.JPG
Nant Irfon Road 2 - Copy.JPG
Nant Irfon Road 3 25% - Copy.JPG

Some of the beautiful scenery on our trip down the various roads yesterday:

view 1 - Copy.JPG
view 2 - Copy.JPG
view 3 - Copy.JPG
view 4 - Copy.JPG

view 5 - Copy.JPG
view 6 - Copy.JPG

Grass growing in the roadway!

grassy road 1 - Copy.JPG

Another narrow little road!

narrow road 1 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Some more photos for you ...

Aberystwyth from part way up the cliffs along from where we were parked:

Aberystwyth 2.jpg

Aberdovey - lovely little place:

Aberdovey 1.jpg

Aberdovey 8.JPG

Fairbourne where we stayed last night showing the lovely beach and Barmouth town across the water - I'll post photos tomorrow of where we actually parked up when I've copied them off my camera:

Fairbourne 1.JPG
Fairbourne 2.JPG

Fairbourne 3.JPG
Fairbourne 4.JPG

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
No we didn't make it to Scotland, we had every intention but I wasn't really well enough just before we were due to go (2nd May) so I went to the Dr and we put it off and decided on Wales instead as less travelling to see things once there and also less distance to get there/back in case I'm not too well again. We'll still do Scotland, probably June/July instead when we can spend 3-4 weeks instead of the 2 we have now as we need to be back home by 23rd May due to other things that week which we can't put off including our car MOT & service, my blood tests appointment, and our 2nd covid jabs which obviously we don't want to miss. For our first trip in 15 months 2 weeks is a good start especially since we need to re-educate ourselves on where everything is in our MH and how it all works! :giggle:
We’re heading down Wales end of June beginning of July, might pick up some tips between now & then 😀 Over on west coast of Scotland this week and been lucky with the weather. Seems to have been an exodus from England going by the number of English accents. Most of the folks I’ve spoken to randomly in vans have been from down south.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
The narrow road in the direction of Tregaron where we had to do a route reversal at Nant Irfon when we met our match, the 3rd photo shows the start of that part of the road just before the 25% incline and before the downpour when it decided it wanted to imitate a waterfall:

Some of the beautiful scenery on our trip down the various roads yesterday:

Grass growing in the roadway!

View attachment 498279

Another narrow little road!

View attachment 498283
Jesus and I thought driving blind round hedgerows in Cornwall was bad! Your hubby’s a braver man than me…must be all that eggy bread!!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Jesus and I thought driving blind round hedgerows in Cornwall was bad! Your hubby’s a braver man than me…must be all that eggy bread!!
nothing wrong with our roads they are fine only narrow when you have to climb out the tailgate :roflmto:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Okay where was I? Oh yes ... Fairbourne!

These are photos of where we stopped, at first we were at the side behind another one but then the one in the far corner moved off so we went there instead, you can see us on the 2nd photo in the left corner, also Lily and Tazzy enjoying exploring the pools on the beach:

Fairbourne parking 1 - r.JPG

Fairbourne parking 2 - r.JPG

Fairbourne lily.JPG
Fairbourne Tazzy.JPG

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
From Fairbourne we set off to Barmouth (just across the water but a fair old drive round), we found somewhere to park up and let the dogs have a snuffle in the sand dunes and play with other dogs for a bit then drove along the A496 scenic road towards Harlech where we stopped for lunch just below the castle with lovely views opposite:

Harlech 2 - r.JPG
Harlech 3 - r.JPG

Harlech 4 - r.JPG

After lunch we continued up to near Penrhyndeudraeth, past Caernarfon across to the A4085 and, due to roadworks and diversions, ended up on the B4366 near Saron plus other little roads all over before we finally got to Garth just north of Bangor next to the old pier for our night stop. Now I have to be honest here and hang my head in shame ... we broke our 'duck' of not having had to pay for any stops at all, not good form for Yorkshire folk! :oops: It cost £1.50 to get into the car park by the pier but we didn't begrudge it as it was a nice quiet place although a bit sloping which even our Fiamma levellers didn't get manage to rectify, not that it particularly bothered us ... so long as the food doesn't roll of the plate we're happy! :giggle: We had a nice stroll along the pier (50p per person ... yes more money!) but it was good to see it being looked after having just celebrated its 150th anniversary (14/5/21). 1st photo of our spot looking at the pier, 2nd photo looking back to our MH from the pier, 3rd photo looking towards end of pier from car park.

Bangor pier & our MH - r.jpg
Bangor pier looking towards parking - r.JPG
Bangor pier walk - r.JPG

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Blimey, is that five motorhomes and a camper at Fairbourne ?
One of my favourite places but I fear the locals will be complaining if it's like that regularly :(
There is more parking down the other end and at the golf club apparently (£10) but the view's not as nice as looking up the estuary

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
From Fairbourne we set off to Barmouth (just across the water but a fair old drive round), we found somewhere to park up and let the dogs have a snuffle in the sand dunes and play with other dogs for a bit then drove along the A496 scenic road towards Harlech where we stopped for lunch just below the castle with lovely views opposite:

View attachment 499009View attachment 499010

View attachment 499012

After lunch we continued up to near Penrhyndeudraeth, past Caernarfon across to the A4085 and, due to roadworks and diversions, ended up on the B4366 near Saron plus other little roads all over before we finally got to Garth just north of Bangor next to the old pier for our night stop. Now I have to be honest here and hang my head in shame ... we broke our 'duck' of not having had to pay for any stops at all, not good form for Yorkshire folk! :oops: It cost £1.50 to get into the car park by the pier but we didn't begrudge it as it was a nice quiet place although a bit sloping which even our Fiamma levellers didn't get manage to rectify, not that it particularly bothered us ... so long as the food doesn't roll of the plate we're happy! :giggle: We had a nice stroll along the pier (50p per person ... yes more money!) but it was good to see it being looked after having just celebrated its 150th anniversary (14/5/21). 1st photo of our spot looking at the pier, 2nd photo looking back to our MH from the pier, 3rd photo looking towards end of pier from car park.

View attachment 499026View attachment 499027View attachment 499028
Good to hear the MH's are spending money in the local community :roflmto:

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Welsh rugby team can buy some decent players now 😂😂

Crash helmet on ⛑⛑

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yesterday was a lovely sunny and warm day so after another walk on the pier and the grass area behind the parking with the doggies, we drove down the A5, a lovely scenic road, passed through Betws-y-Coed as far as Cerrigydrudion and had intended to go along the B5105 up to Ruthin but the road was closed due to roadworks so instead we went northwards on the B4501 passed the Brenig Reservoir ... I have no idea why this road isn't marked as scenic on the map but it should be, it was gorgeous however for those with 'fat' MHs I'm not sure it would be a recommended route as quite a few times the passing places were very small so even getting past a car was 'interesting'. There were distant views and moorland areas which were a complete contrast ... of course I just had to take some with sheep in them! :giggle:

sheep view 2.JPG

sheep view 3.JPG

sheep view.JPG

view 1.JPG

view 2.JPG

view.JPG

moor camper.JPG

moor tazzy.JPG

At Denbigh we crossed to the A543 before turning near Nannerch up the various little roads (more roadworks with diversions!) eventually taking the A55 eastwards towards Chester, I got a shot of the lovely view over the estuary looking towards western England.

estuary view.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back