Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Hi all - we bought a 5th wheel...! havent got it yet - pickup mid December - then will park it up until the New Year when we head off to Europe...
All very exciting... I think I have square eyes from looking at the laptop trying to find all sorts of info / advice etc...then remembered the Funsters!

So - any hints / tips / do's and don'ts / any help will be much appreciated...

thankyou :Smile:

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Hi Rustie. Welcome to Fun. If its an american 5th wheel then don't forget the sister site RVOC for all things american and you can join it for just £5 what a bargain:thumb: Plenty of help on there

Regards Brian and Chris

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
What did you buy and what truck are you using?

We still love ours just as much as we did when we got it 5 years ago. Not taken it over the water yet though as we're still working :Sad: but we do use it most weekends all year round. :Smile:

Happy travels. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Hi Rustie. Welcome to Fun. If its an american 5th wheel then don't forget the sister site RVOC for all things american and you can join it for just £5 what a bargain:thumb: Plenty of help on there

Regards Brian and Chris

Thanks Brian and Chris - I've directed hubbie to that site - I'm amazed at all the help and knowledge from such helpful people...thankyou!

OP
OP
R

Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
What did you buy and what truck are you using?

We still love ours just as much as we did when we got it 5 years ago. Not taken it over the water yet though as we're still working :Sad: but we do use it most weekends all year round. :Smile:

Happy travels. :thumb:

Hi there - we bought a Ford F150 with a Rockwood ultra lite - 2 slide...we'd seen all sorts of layouts and combinations but this one seemed to do the trick...

The next thing is possible LPG conversion - conflicting views on that so far - do you have any thoughts perhaps...?

Excitement levels have to be kept in check as it's still a couple of weeks before we collect it...
:thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there - we bought a Ford F150 with a Rockwood ultra lite - 2 slide...we'd seen all sorts of layouts and combinations but this one seemed to do the trick...

The next thing is possible LPG conversion - conflicting views on that so far - do you have any thoughts perhaps...?

Excitement levels have to be kept in check as it's still a couple of weeks before we collect it...

Sorry I don't know enough about LPG to comment but if you do a search there are lots of threads on here about it.

Our truck is an L200 diesel. It's primarily a work vehicle which suits at the moment as we have the 5er on a seasonal pitch. We only tow about 3 times a year and then usually only short distances. Once we retire we'll be changing the truck.

I like the look of the Rockwood, bet you can't wait. Ours is a Jayco bunkhouse. Lots of beds and the grandkids think it's great (always room for them). We're not always sure. :Doh:

Gill

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
Well done. Welcome to the clan. Hope you have many happy trips, and look forward to seeing you on a site somewhere.
There is a relatively new forum opened up for 5vers (fifthwheel owners club). As it is new it is not FULL of useful tips but the members are friendly and there are some others with units like yours.

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Congrats on your new combi!!

LPG;

You will need a good , Multi-point sequential system - that one injector for each port - same as your cars injectors as opposed to one for all. More efficiency, more response, more power and less waste.

Choose the right size kit - you need sufficient power for your truck - accpet no compromise! If you are 300bhp you need a 300bhp or over kit. They cost, but pay it - if you go for a cheap one, you will struggle towing or have power fade.

In-line Swirl pot - these go between the vapouriser and the intake manifold - gets things stirred up and moving faster, increases power and response and thus economy.

Oiler - Ally head? Get a valve saver oiler - it is like a scott oiler for bike chains, gradually drips a little 'oil' into the head to lubricate the head - saves wear on the valves (lpg burns hotter) , recommended as towing. about £40.

OP
OP
R

Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Sorry I don't know enough about LPG to comment but if you do a search there are lots of threads on here about it.

Our truck is an L200 diesel. It's primarily a work vehicle which suits at the moment as we have the 5er on a seasonal pitch. We only tow about 3 times a year and then usually only short distances. Once we retire we'll be changing the truck.

I like the look of the Rockwood, bet you can't wait. Ours is a Jayco bunkhouse. Lots of beds and the grandkids think it's great (always room for them). We're not always sure. :Doh:

Gill

Thanks Gill...hubbie is on the case regarding the LPG - as with everything, there are conflicting views on whether it is worth the outlay or not...we think it's worth it...
We looked at the Rockwood bunkhouse - so clever how they fit stuff into these babies!! We have a sofa bed for any visits...will have to do!

OP
OP
R

Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Congrats on your new combi!!

LPG;

You will need a good , Multi-point sequential system - that one injector for each port - same as your cars injectors as opposed to one for all. More efficiency, more response, more power and less waste.

Choose the right size kit - you need sufficient power for your truck - accpet no compromise! If you are 300bhp you need a 300bhp or over kit. They cost, but pay it - if you go for a cheap one, you will struggle towing or have power fade.

In-line Swirl pot - these go between the vapouriser and the intake manifold - gets things stirred up and moving faster, increases power and response and thus economy.

Oiler - Ally head? Get a valve saver oiler - it is like a scott oiler for bike chains, gradually drips a little 'oil' into the head to lubricate the head - saves wear on the valves (lpg burns hotter) , recommended as towing. about £40.

Thankyou! I'll pass on all this info to hubbie - I know he's spent a good few hours trawling the internet for info and has spoken to a couple of places who do conversions - this is just the sort of info that we're after - much appreciated!
Thanks again...!
::bigsmile:

OP
OP
R

Rustie

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
Well done. Welcome to the clan. Hope you have many happy trips, and look forward to seeing you on a site somewhere.
There is a relatively new forum opened up for 5vers (fifthwheel owners club). As it is new it is not FULL of useful tips but the members are friendly and there are some others with units like yours.

Thanks Ken...! we can't wait to collect in 3 weeks time...
I've found the RVOC forum as well - there are so many helpful bods out there...!
Hope to meet up with people soon...
::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back