LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
While in Lowestoft you can stand on the most easterly point in the Uk, also a very nice little marine museum if that rocks your boat, also a restored herring trawler in the harbour to nosey around.
Bawdsey on the coast is a visit if your into the development of radar as is Shingle street
If you're in Lowestoft, don't miss out on getting some kippers from The Old Smokehouse.... Probably the best I've ever had: http://the-old-smoke-house.edan.io/

Very old school set up. Very tasty smoked fish.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Quick update we have booked the following
Lee Valley Doddsweir Essex 2 nights weekend stop over
Cliff House Saxmundham 4 nights
Jaydene Lowestoft 3 nights middle weekend

For the second week we have tried the following Mollet Farm Run Cottage both fully booked which is unfortunate as these look really nice.

So any more suggestions on sites welcome (y)

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks everyone we have now booked the last 5 nights of our trip in Slade Paddock Ely Cambridgeshire. Looks pretty good!

Thanks for all the feedback much appreciatedšŸ‘

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There's a nice CL, The Vulcan Arms, at Sizewell. The beach is dog friendly, the pub serves good food. There's also Bonds Farm CL, Bedfield, Woodbridge. We like the area around the River Deben, the countryside there is beautiful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee, but we're going to Suffolk - CS near Bungay - and Pete remembered before 138go posted - that we have been to the Vulcan ourselves. Live music on Fridays back then! Decent food.

May 1, 2021
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes-benz Rapido
Try Felixstowe area, Main beach has dog restrictions, but old felixstowe, known as the dip/brackenbury area is dog friendly and they can be off lead all year.
Also some good pubs.
Re Kessingland nice beach but africa alive is not dog friendly.
Jimmy's farm, outskirts of Ipswich is dog friendly with now a more extensive tropical animal collection.
Bawdsey is lovely, again dog friendly, but turn up early as it is the go to place for fossil hunting. A couple of nice sites around Hollesley, Dan's meadow near Woodbridge. Not sure on ehu as we only ever has a tent and no power.
If you stay around Woodbridge/Ipswich/felixstowe look for deben inns they are a local chain of pubs and are dog friendly. Westerfield railway is great also but a out of the way.
Areas like Walberswick are normally rammed, Walberswick is famous for crabbing, but the beach is sandy and great for body boarding and do friendly. A fair bit of parking there and you can walk across to South Southwold or if you fancy it a small row boat acts as ferry for a small charge.
Aldeburgh is a shingle beach can get very busy also great fish and chips, from there you can walk to Thorpeness, I think from memory dogs are restricted in the beach. But you can go and see the windmill and house in the clouds.
Walking wise look for the sandlings trail, or suffolk coastal path. Also a great walk is the river stour, orwell, Deben rivers. Via pin mill chelmodiston, ship at Levington and maybush at Waldringfield. All fab pubs and dog friendly.
Enjoy!!

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Try Felixstowe area, Main beach has dog restrictions, but old felixstowe, known as the dip/brackenbury area is dog friendly and they can be off lead all year.
Also some good pubs.
Re Kessingland nice beach but africa alive is not dog friendly.
Jimmy's farm, outskirts of Ipswich is dog friendly with now a more extensive tropical animal collection.
Bawdsey is lovely, again dog friendly, but turn up early as it is the go to place for fossil hunting. A couple of nice sites around Hollesley, Dan's meadow near Woodbridge. Not sure on ehu as we only ever has a tent and no power.
If you stay around Woodbridge/Ipswich/felixstowe look for deben inns they are a local chain of pubs and are dog friendly. Westerfield railway is great also but a out of the way.
Areas like Walberswick are normally rammed, Walberswick is famous for crabbing, but the beach is sandy and great for body boarding and do friendly. A fair bit of parking there and you can walk across to South Southwold or if you fancy it a small row boat acts as ferry for a small charge.
Aldeburgh is a shingle beach can get very busy also great fish and chips, from there you can walk to Thorpeness, I think from memory dogs are restricted in the beach. But you can go and see the windmill and house in the clouds.
Walking wise look for the sandlings trail, or suffolk coastal path. Also a great walk is the river stour, orwell, Deben rivers. Via pin mill chelmodiston, ship at Levington and maybush at Waldringfield. All fab pubs and dog friendly.
Enjoy!!
Thanks very much weā€™re in Essex at the moment on our way to Suffolk tomorrow will check out some of your recommendations especially dog friendly beaches. ThanksšŸ‘

May 1, 2021
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes-benz Rapido
Am also very sorry if you just tried to drive down to pin mill. You need to park further at the top or along the main road and walk. Car park is behind the pub.
Just watched someone come down and have to turn round as we were having lunch!

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Just parked up on the front in Aldeburgh to Thorpness now sat in the Dolphin pub garden and it feels like November!šŸ˜‚
Going to pick up some smoked fish and crab for dinner tonightšŸ‘
Thanks for all the recommendations.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
If you like history come ober the border to harwich three museums and a small historic trail around the old town kinder transport memorial 4 lighthousesnice beach front esplande to walk and what may be a banksy tosee

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
The Swan at Hoxne, close to Eye, Suffolk and Diss, Norfolk.
Large car park, EHU available, great pub, excellent food, ring to book

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
When you posted that I thought you meant that AG 2602 had passed away but can see AG 2602 has logged in today phew !
You'll be delighted to know that I'm alive and well and planning new trips!! I have to say we didn't enjoy Sussex the weather was appalling and combine that with all the Covid stuff and problems with the van it wasn't the best!! Before I get beaten up, absolutely nothing wrong with Sussex just the circumstances, will have to return someday!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You'll be delighted to know that I'm alive and well and planning new trips!! I have to say we didn't enjoy Sussex the weather was appalling and combine that with all the Covid stuff and problems with the van it wasn't the best!! Before I get beaten up, absolutely nothing wrong with Sussex just the circumstances, will have to return someday!
No wonder you didn't enjoy it, you went to the wrong county, Sussex is dahn Sarf. :happy:

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I'm now thinking I might go to Sussex as I've never been before!!
Any reccomendations??

Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
We live in the South West (Bristol) so the obvious choice is Devon Cornwall Wales which we have pretty well covered with or without a MH.
Visited the Norfolk coast last year and really enjoyed it. Could go North to the Lake District but Iā€™ve heard itā€™s rammed!!
So we fancy Suffolk (not sure why)Any recommendations we like dog friendly beeches and country walking preferably near a village pub! We have two weeks to fill first two weeks of July.
Any recommendations for campsites really appreciated. Thanks

Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
We live in Saxmundham in Suffolk and we love the area. Unfortunately, they do not allow dogs on the beaches around here during the summer here. There's dog walking at Dunwich Heath (National Trust) , and Rendlesham Forest. You can drive to Dunwich Beach and walk along the dunes and have a cup of tea and a bite to eat, fish&chips at the cafe. The Ship pub is neaby and is dog friendly, but it's best to book in the summer. There are a few cl's around here. If you'r C&MC members you'll see them. We stored our motorhome at Mill Hill farm campsite, near Westleton. Also, Church Farm caravan park is in Aldeburgh, and is a short walk to Aldeburgh town centre and there's a nice walk to Thorpeness from the site.
Hope this gives you some ideas on where to stay.

Regards
Steve C

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We live in North Suffolk not far from Lowestoft. However for short and sometimes longer trips we always go into Norfolk. There are lots of places to visit around the Broads and on the coast with many pubs that are happy for you to stay overnight, for example, The Malsters at Ranworth which is right on Ranworth Broad and excellent CL's, for example Danny Paddock and Womack Staith at Ludham where a short walk through the farm takes you to the river where you can sit and watch the boats. If you like you can visit Norwich for very good restaurants, including Hickman's and Benedict's. All in all you will be spoilt for choice but I would urge you to look at SFS for some ideas on where to stay . Search around Sheringham, Cromer, Holt for some great places and view on Google earth. edit = I almost forgot. if you come to Lowestoft there is a fish restaurant in the old hight street which has a large car park at the rear it's called Mark G. Probably the best fish restaurant you are likely to find. Mark is a real fish expert.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back