We are off next week. Help on where to go please (1 Viewer)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Keep it coming fellas, I'm making notes and listing FLT sites. The earlier comment about the Good the Bad and the Ugly, well Peter ain't Bad, he ain't much good either. My best to Angie. Griff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been out of touch with this thread for a while not had any alerts until Dave posted yesterday about Bellus Aire.

scooter. First looked at the La Marina beach. Nice and sandy ut deserted in the wind. Then off to El Pinet where @Lenny HB wilded earlier in the week. His photo was a bit flattering, but not a bad spot with lots of FLTs parked up and a bit more sheltered than most spots on the coast.
Artistic licence my dear boy, also I did bag a good spot.

The weather looks poor over most of Spain and Portugal this weekend so have decided to stop here until Sunday because at least it is sheltered
You light weight, we are on the end of the harbour arm at Almeria the vans rocking 'n rolling in the wind. Was quite pleasant until a couple of large ferries came in now we have to put up with their engines throbbing. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You light weight, we are on the end of the harbour arm at Almeria the vans rocking 'n rolling in the wind. Was quite pleasant until a couple of large ferries came in now we have to put up with their engines throbbing. :)
Van rockin and rolling and throbbing at your age??? Can't be doing with all that messy stuff ................

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Tossers on Tour
IMG_6193.JPG
20180408_153616.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Saw lots of these on the ground this morning. Not processionary caterpillars but don't have a clue? Any idea what they could be!
20180408_112132.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thank you Robert. As said in the film Zulu 'there's fousands of em' yesterday we watched a big flick of swallows feeding on the flies from the river below the Dam and on the top of the Dam there were three fat Sparrow Hawks, nesting. They chose there spot well.

We used to live in Spain and they were very common
We’ve started seeing them in the U.K. too. Maybe as a result of climate change.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
And another
what a lovely morning
:)
IMG_20180408_125634__01.jpg
IMG_20180408_125618.jpg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Taken close to on phone does look a bit weird, van is only 7.5m long & 2.96 high.
I meant on your actual photo in the bottom right hand corner where it says 452.9 m and 305 degrees.
I presume your altitude was 452 metres and you were pointing 305 degrees east of north (if that makes sense) and that was lat and longitude. Clever stuff if i am right.
img_20180408_165534-1024x768-jpg.223873

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I meant on your actual photo in the bottom right hand corner where it says 452.9 m and 305 degrees.
I presume your altitude was 452 metres and you were pointing 305 degrees east of north (if that makes sense) and that was lat and longitude. Clever stuff if i am right.
img_20180408_165534-1024x768-jpg.223873
Ah! I miss read your post makes sense now. I'm using Open Camera app on an Android phone, yes that is Lat & Log. Useful for pics of Aires & stops.
I was surprised when I found it could do it.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK thought I would do another update.

We ended up spending 5 nights at La Marina despite originally saying we would only be there for 1 night. Every evening we told the neighbours that we would be leaving in the morning because the weather forecast was not good but every morning the weather was good so we stayed.

Met a couple of Funsters, Derek and June @Portland and has a pleasant evening with them.

We finally left this morning heading further south. Stopped and looked around a pleasant little resort town on the Mar Menor called Santiago de la Ribera, but did not stay long before heading around Cartagena.

Then got some good views when we went over the hills to Puerto de Mazarron
20180409_143654.jpg

We are now freeloading again at La Azohia next to the beach. Their is an on shore wind that was blowing hard when we arrived and the breakers were piling up on the beach as the view through our windscreen shows.
20180409_170621.jpg

Since taking that photo a couple more French vans have turned up and parked in front spoiling the view a bit. Not too worried though as they are now sheltering us from the wind and the salt spray.

We have booked tickets for the Alhambra at Grenada for Thursday so will be dawdling towards there over the next couple of days.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Busman Dave & I have moved into the Aire that you have just left so Dave can Pick up Maggie from the Airport tonight and enable us to do some maintenance. I have some great pictures of our last freeloading stop but the WiFi here is a bit of a joke so will add these at another time. Hate having to pay for the these places but occasionally it has to be done. We promise to work hard to regain our FLT recognition.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The wind dropped overnight at La Azohia and we woke up to a sunny morning. Decided to do some sunbathing in the morning but the wind returned and so we left at lunchtime. But I could see the mess the salt spray had left on the front of the motorhome.

Drove South to Aguilas on the main roads and then decided to take the coast road south from there. Found a BP garage with camperstop and full facilities. Stopped to fill up and dump (only 2 Euros) and wash off the salt but did not stop for the night.

Some lovely scenery on the way but the wind was very strong

20180410_152907.jpg

Lots of wilding spots along the coast for you dedicated FLTs @Busman and @PhilandMena but we really did not fancy another night by the sea with the wind and the spray. Also a lot of holiday developments along the coast of variable quality.

Had some problems when we drove through Garrucha because we missed the bypass. The road got narrower and narrower until we got to a place where a scissor lift and a car were parked opposite one another and we literally had a few inches to spare. Angela had to get out and stand in front guiding me before I got through. So I recommend that you avoid the centre of Garrucha at all costs.

Then had a very steep pass through the mountains north of Carboneras to contend with and lots of hairpins all made worse by the very high winds that were buffeting the motorhome. Views were spectacular but difficult to really appreciate when you are struggling to keep the motorhome on the right lines.

By the time we got to Carboneras it was gone five o'clock and I had had enough driving for the day. So we are in El Rancho camperstop just outside of town. 10€ per night including electrics water dump and wifi.

The wind has died down now but very overcast and already had some rain.

Tomorrow we are off to Grenada in readiness for our visit to the Alhambra Palace on Thursday.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Great write up Peter keep em coming (y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the heads up Peter, We were in that area last year and spent time freeloading on the beaches, like you say loads of places to stop and no hassle from plod after you cross the regional boarder which is more or less where the garage and services are. We will be visiting Murcia later today.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the heads up Peter, We were in that area last year and spent time freeloading on the beaches, like you say loads of places to stop and no hassle from plod after you cross the regional boarder which is more or less where the garage and services are. We will be visiting Murcia later today.
Phil, I thought the hassle was at the south side of the border and the north was better. Have I got that wrong?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back