We are off next week. Help on where to go please (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have just upset a German.

This is a big car park and there is plenty of space for everyone. Despite that he pulled up and was going to leave about 4ft between us. I explained to him that there was plenty of space and he could move a bit further away and leave a bit more space. So he started his engine and drove away to park 4ft from somebody else. It must be some sort of hearding instinct.

Ah well .......... you can't please everybody can you.
I have just upset a German.

This is a big car park and there is plenty of space for everyone. Despite that he pulled up and was going to leave about 4ft between us. I explained to him that there was plenty of space and he could move a bit further away and leave a bit more space. So he started his engine and drove away to park 4ft from somebody else. It must be some sort of hearding instinct.

Ah well .......... you can't please everybody can you.
Don't know why they do that ...ive had it happen several times ...i park away from the herd leave loads of space and some muppet comes and parks right next to me.

I've found playing julio iglesias full blast and sitting on the van step with my ukelele gets them moving kind of quick

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Wish I coulda stayed in another car park :p
Betcha do
Fantastic :)
IMG_6586__01.jpg

Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Where is that? It looks lovely

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@Northernraider
Tam, I said i would send you a recommendation for your route home. It's in this long attachment and you just need to reverse the route for the N10 Calais to Irun. Safe Journey.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Northernraider
Tam, I said i would send you a recommendation for your route home. It's in this long attachment and you just need to reverse the route for the N10 Calais to Irun. Safe Journey.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed
Thanks for the info Phil. ....although I'm not thinking of going home yet :p I've another six months :p

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
IMG_6572.JPG
IMG_6590.JPG
Now having time to look through some of the pictures I took over the last few days, a few of the ones I like in particular.
The motorhome going along the road is Busman Dave and Maggie. Living the dream and and no campsite or Aire fees required. The joy of being a FLT and seeing the best of the best for free. Beats being locked behind a fence and paying for the privilege.
IMG_6494.JPG
IMG_6537.JPG
IMG_6548.JPG
IMG_6555.JPG
IMG_6557.JPG
IMG_6587.JPG
IMG_6598.JPG
IMG_6610.JPG
IMG_6611.JPG
IMG_6622.JPG
IMG_6633.JPG

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well we are continuing to slowly make our way home. We left Portugal at Elvas yesterday after a sadly short visit and are now in Spain. Yesterday we stopped at a little Aire in the town of Oropesa just off the A5. The Aire was reasonable and was free with free water and dump as well. It was a bit out of town so we did not walk around. Town was difficult to get through with the moho but we managed to find an easier short cut across unpaved roads when we left this morning.

Today we have earned our "driving around Madrid without hitting anything" badge, which is quite difficult to achieve. How come London has got just one motorway ring road and yet Madrid has 3? We took the one furthest out but it was still chaos. Once around Madrid we took the A2 towards Zaragoza. It went through some truly spectacular scenery so we were not bored at all by the drive.

Tonight we have found a little gem of an Aire in a lovely little Spanish town called Calatayud just off the A2 a few miles before Zaragoza. All free including water and dump and a couple of minutes walk from the town centre which looks like this.
20180425_183657.jpg

Lovely walk through and found a good tapas bar. 2 glasses of white wine and 7 tapas cost us all of €9.20. On the walk around Angela found a new friend to talk to
20180425_200307.jpg

She reckons she gets more sense out of him than me.

Tomorrow we head for France.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well we are continuing to slowly make our way home. We left Portugal at Elvas yesterday after a sadly short visit and are now in Spain. Yesterday we stopped at a little Aire in the town of Oropesa just off the A5. The Aire was reasonable and was free with free water and dump as well. It was a bit out of town so we did not walk around. Town was difficult to get through with the moho but we managed to find an easier short cut across unpaved roads when we left this morning.

Today we have earned our "driving around Madrid without hitting anything" badge, which is quite difficult to achieve. How come London has got just one motorway ring road and yet Madrid has 3? We took the one furthest out but it was still chaos. Once around Madrid we took the A2 towards Zaragoza. It went through some truly spectacular scenery so we were not bored at all by the drive.

Tonight we have found a little gem of an Aire in a lovely little Spanish town called Calatayud just off the A2 a few miles before Zaragoza. All free including water and dump and a couple of minutes walk from the town centre which looks like this.
View attachment 227217

Lovely walk through and found a good tapas bar. 2 glasses of white wine and 7 tapas cost us all of €9.20. On the walk around Angela found a new friend to talk to
View attachment 227218
She reckons she gets more sense out of him than me.

Tomorrow we head for France.

About time Anglea found someone better looking....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

;)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Once again I'm having problems uploading photos, so one last attempt!

No Joy! Pity I have some outstanding photo's. Will upload after we get back in the UK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Once again I'm having problems uploading photos, so one last attempt!

No Joy! Pity I have some outstanding photo's. Will upload after we get back in the UK.
Have you reduced the size of them before uploading? I always reduce mine to 1024x768 but sometimes they still won't upload on a slow connection it that happens I reduce them just a few percent more and they often upload then.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well yesterday we used the Somport Tunnel for the first and last time. Maniac lorry drivers within inches of me coming the other way and then overtaking me, because I was doing the speed limit, and cutting in and nearly taking my nose off were no fun at all. Most of the lorries were short haul guys with tipping trailers who were obviously earning by the load. Appeared to be empty going to France and full back to Spain Looked like some sort of grain they were hauling.

Last night and tonight we stopped in free Aires in multi-use car parks in two small French towns but the difference between them was striking.

Last night we stopped at Oleron Sainte Marie. A town with little civic pride. Everywhere in the town centre was run down and dirty and there was dog shit all over the pavements. Nothing to do or stop for, so we won't be back.

Tonight we are in Vivonne just off the N10 just South of Poitiers. Nice clean little town with thriving businesses and a nice feel. I think we will be back sometime.

Tomorrow we are aiming for Cite Europe as we have a tunnel train booked for Sunday morning.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Tonight we are in Vivonne just off the N10 just South of Poitiers. Nice clean little town with thriving businesses and a nice feel. I think we will be back sometime.
We've stopped at Vivonne a couple of times, nice little place.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Small town in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. 33 degs. Once again unable to load photos. Will do when I can get decent wifi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back