We are going to chance not fixing it spend £'s travelling instead (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mertrux Nottingham or Derby would be able to solve the problem, but take plenty of dosh.

My independent is convinced that to change the turbo he will have to drop the engine, so not at all keen to do it, dread to think what the cost would be at a main dealer :(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well like everyone else , I wish you the best of luck, but is it really safe to be driving a motor that might stop at any minute on foreign motorways , sorry to be a wet blanket but as no one else has mentioned it I may be missing something.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I paid £9.90 for my reader / resetter
Only had it about 5 weeks and already used it at least 10 times !!

Good luck on the run David.. But before you go, remember, ADAC could be your friend ( and at the current exchange rate it works out about £76 !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
My independent has and used Star software, one problem is that multiple faults keep popping up, but none light the management light

Going to drive it something gives up, there is always a chance we might never again have a repeat :)

I know, over optimistic, but got to big myself up for the journey (y)

I was lead to believe only a franchised dealer had full access to the star system. i thought it was computer linked??

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
My independent has and used Star software, one problem is that multiple faults keep popping up, but none light the management light

Going to drive it something gives up, there is always a chance we might never again have a repeat :)

I know, over optimistic, but got to big myself up for the journey (y)

I always look at life with " my glass is half full" :) attitude, not the half empty one :(.
Drive it till it breaks, make sure you have good breakdown/recovery service.
If it fails, your covered, if it doesn't, then you've had a result.
Good luck and enjoy your adventure...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I take it you have Frankie ,@yodeli, on speed dial ?:xlaugh:
Nope! He never asked so I guess I have to give him a shout !!

@DavidG58 OI YOU!!! We were meant to meet at Twin Lakes last year... never saw you when I was there (I hope it wasn't for some nasty problem, I -as a non brainer frog- can't remember!!)

Anyway.....you can add to your stopover places list BALMA!
Electricity, wifi (quite poor though), cassette dump point (errr on sundays only LOL) fresh water and as an extra.... a couple of drinks with the tenant if you come during working time AND may be a nice french meal if it's the week-end (please note I am booked on the 27th ..... parents anniversary!)
Full details via PM.... NOT STATUS please use INBOX "start a new conversation"

Amicalement

Frankie ;-)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

@DavidG58 OI YOU!!! We were meant to meet at Twin Lakes last year... never saw you when I was there (I hope it wasn't for some nasty problem, I -as a non brainer frog- can't remember!!)

Electricity, wifi (quite poor though), cassette dump point (errr on sundays only LOL) fresh water and as an extra.... a couple of drinks with the tenant if you come during working time AND may be a nice french meal if it's the week-end (please note I am booked on the 27th ..... parents anniversary!)

Amicalement

Frankie ;-)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Amicalement

Frankie ;-)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Amicalement

Frankie ;-)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
just wondering as i had a similar problem with my last van going into limp mode intermittently for 18 months, was told by various mechanics it was all sorts of 'expensive' problems, in the end it turned out to be the egr valve clogged up, and boy was it clogged!!
my old fashioned local garage cleaned it out, put it back on, problem sorted and solved..
hope your problem gets sorted and solved too..
enjoy your trip away.. :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
On my Fiat I have had 2 'incidents' with limp mode. In each case the AA/RAC found a fault code on the EGR, reset it and it worked fine for another 10k to 12k miles.......... on the last one I had it looked at by Fiat Professional (just before warranty expired) and they confirmed no fault, just a (slightly oversensitive) sensor. They 'reset' it with the gizmo and all behaved ever since.

Oops, I hope I don't end up wishing I hadn't said this :rolleyes::eek:

Anyway, dunno if any of that help you @DavidG58 :confused:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I had been wondering how you were getting on David.

Just read this...not something I think I could do, knowing it wasn't right , but you never know...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... Good Luck.
Andy.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had been wondering how you were getting on David.

Just read this...not something I think I could do, knowing it wasn't right , but you never know...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... Good Luck.
Andy.

It is the trouble with intermittent though Andy, first happened in Spain last year and only once on whole journey, then covered another 3000 miles or so, three trips to Scotland this year, it next went the day after I got back from Falkirk, then went three times in 50 miles. Eventually got a full unsettable limp which got reset, sort of diagnosed and we were good for another 500 miles or so

My point is even if I have a full turbo fitted, I will not know it is fixed until it doesn't do it again, how will I ever find out without using it, codes were reset 2 weeks ago, drove back fine, will be taking it out locally a couple of times, if it is getting worse I will have to do something before we go. I do fear a main dealer investigation maybe the next step, but it could be money very well spent if they turn up something cheap and easy to fix :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi David
Hope you finally get this annoying issue sorted
Enjoy your trip
Regards
Robert

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Amicalement

Frankie ;-)

Bonjour Frankie

Merci, merci, merci et merci

You must really mean us to stay, four requests / instructions :):):):)

We did get to Twin Lakes last year, but only early on in the meet, I think we were there for the only wet days

January next year, presuming we make it down as far as you, you are now on the list of places we intend to get to (y)

Amicalement

David and Bev x

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David I think I would be trading it in and getting rid of the problem x:-)

Morning Carol, I have been there with that thought a few times, but I am too nice (really, crusty outer, soft as muck inside) I would feel really bad not telling a dealer about an issue I knew about, then just my luck someone on here would buy it and I would never hear the end of it. :D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just wondering as i had a similar problem with my last van going into limp mode intermittently for 18 months, was told by various mechanics it was all sorts of 'expensive' problems, in the end it turned out to be the egr valve clogged up, and boy was it clogged!!
my old fashioned local garage cleaned it out, put it back on, problem sorted and solved..
hope your problem gets sorted and solved too..
enjoy your trip away.. :)

I believe the EGR valve has been checked already or possibly even changed, I am very easily confused and regularly forget what we had for tea yesterday, let alone what was done a few months ago by someone else :D

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I think your itinerary needs amending.

I would drive to the merc engine factory wherever that is, pitch up in the car park and tell em you can't possibly leave as you have an engine problem and perhaps they could help you out - sorted:xsurprised:

They wouldn't want that in the press!!!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My suggestion is a good scanner and keep it in the van..

Dont be tempted to go for a really cheap one or it will or may not show what you are looking for. Same with any tools buy cheap and you have to work within its limitations.

I carry a decent scanner wherever we go. It sits along with the other tools I hope we will never need but a scanner can save us being at the mercy of a garage that realities they have a person trapped..

If a tool can be used to get you mobile then I agree. Dont fix it till its failed completely then you wont have wasted money.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My suggestion is a good scanner and keep it in the van..

Dont be tempted to go for a really cheap one or it will or may not show what you are looking for. Same with any tools buy cheap and you have to work within its limitations.

I carry a decent scanner wherever we go. It sits along with the other tools I hope we will never need but a scanner can save us being at the mercy of a garage that realities they have a person trapped..

If a tool can be used to get you mobile then I agree. Dont fix it till its failed completely then you wont have wasted money.

I have started another thread asking for specific help with this, didn't know to call it a scanner though, what do you have ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
David I think I would be trading it in and getting rid of the problem x:-)
Pretty sure the new consumer legislation covers even a private sale of a 'known' faulty vehicle. If you do not describe the vehicle correctly at the point of sale the purchaser now has a come back, in theory at least!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Haven't got time at the moment to read all of this thread, or your 'limp' one but have you had the hoses replaced?

We had a turbo hose come off on a previous MH when we were overtaking and the van went into limp mode ... speaking to a garage mechanic later we were told that a hose coming loose or with a small hole in it can have the same effect.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just another thought ... as Merc have confirmed that they had an issue they should be legally liable to fix it as best they can without it costing you! We've just had our Smart car ancilliary belt replaced by them as it broke ... apparently it is a known fault so done FOC.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is the code reader / resetter I have.. VERY easy top use and job takes less than a couple of minutes David.. ll for under a tenner

Broken Link Removed

There are loads more all about the same price and although as cheap as chips ( cheaper than chips in a posh place ! ) they do the job just fine

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
While I have no experience with Mercs over many years of repairing vehicles the first thought in this situation as it is intermittent and assuming that all the turbo hoses are ok is that the mass air valve that is faulty,
it's job is to monitor the air flow if faulty it will cut fuel to the engine (limp mode) because it thinks the turbo is not working.A replacement can be sourced from most motor factors if you take the part number off it (not the merc number as then it will be expensive normally a delco remmy part )
If it was the turbo you would normally be blowing oil or have bits going threw the egr and ending up with a scrap engine

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
, but we know Twin Lakes and Parc Verger are both open (or at least I think they are)

I will update on here as plans develop, as panic sets in, then on our travels, it will either be completely boring and uneventful, or it wont be..................:)

Parc Verger is open and I can recommend staying here :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back