calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Hi can anyone tell me if waxoyl is supposed to kill rust or prevent it? Just had our van MOT'd and we were advised to apply it next time there is a dry day. Thanks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Its supposed to kill rust and prevent new rust.
I tried it years ago, covered everything I could see and not see in an old car, but the rust still got through.
My advice would be to try and remove and treat any rust you can see, then apply the waxoyl
Allan

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
my son is half way doing ours. giving it a good scrub down with a wire brush and then waxoyl it. so good luck doing yours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Timely post as I was about to ask if Funsters would recommend under sealing their vans. Mine is now a year old Autocruise PVC on a Peugeot chassis and I intend to keep for many years having now find the ideal layout for me (7 prev vans!). Can anyone recommend a reliable trustworthy company to undertake this - preferably in the north west.
Thanks, Carol

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Did mine with Waxoyl back in the summer. This had been advised by Peter Hambilton and by the local HGV workshop that does my servicing.
The whole job took me a few days. I removed the front bumper/valance (it's an A-class and I wanted access to the engine mounting area and front chassis) wire brushed the chassis, painted a few spots with Hammerite (makers of Waxoyl) then donned an anti-high volatile face mask, very old clothes, and got under with the Waxoyl. The system comprises a pressure tin (bought full then refilled), a pump with spray lance, thin tube adapter to get inside the box sections and larger tins of the Waxoyl to replenish the pressure tin. I used two large tins in addition to the pressure tin - all from Halfords. It is available in clear and black finishes. I used black so that I could see what I had completed and because I think it is claimed to last longer.
A filthy job - expect to throw away any clothes you wear - and do use the face mask.
Once the Waxoyl had set, I got a large tin of Hammerite underbody seal and painted any sections of the wooden floor pan that looked a bit bare. The total cost was about £120 in materials.

p.s. it helps a lot to warm the Waxoyl by standing the tin in hot water and to thin it a bit with white spirit. That makes it easier to spray and helps prevent the lance blocking - at the expense of a greater tendency to drip!

Here are the various parts:
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Has anyone else who has Waxoyled their coach built noticed how much quieter it is on the road afterwards?

A good application seems to really kill road and tyre noise!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone else who has Waxoyled their coach built noticed how much quieter it is on the road afterwards?

A good application seems to really kill road and tyre noise!

Not one of the benefits I noticed I have to admit, but then I wasn't undersealing any metal body panels.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sounds like it is well worth doing but not something I would tackle myself. Just need to find a reputable company to undertake the work. I'm hoping someone can recommend from personal experience.

OP
OP
calion

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the tips everybody (y) :(we were told to do the leaf springs and strutts and the front and rear chassis cross members. The van is 19 years old, so has done well to last this long, had to have a small section of sill welded and brake pipes replaced. This is the first time its ever been welded, in fact the first time its ever failed its MOT in the 7 years we've had it. Its passed now, phew

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
There is an advert in the MMM magazine for a firm who seem very good. Do not use the van for about 2 weeks after its done because of the fumes

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a waxoyl treatment business with depots in Hatfield and Knutsford.
http://www.waxoylprofessional.com/Motorhome.html
Prices range from £360-£600 + VAT depending on size, complexity and condition.

I know nothing about this, or any other waxoyling business - they look pretty good, but be careful before booking anywhere as there have been stories on forums in the past regarding sub-standard work by some businesses. You need to ensure they are going to prepare the underside properly and inject waxoyl into the hollow sections / box girders as well as on the obvious surfaces.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
A friend used this company in Leamington Spa
http://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/
to do his PVC last year and was pretty pleased with the result. They have branches around the UK. It cost him £440. He also had the Supagard paint treatment there - another £250.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks for all the info. I have been web searching and there are mixed reviews, primarily around the quality of preparation and also wether waxoyl is the best product. More research required I think before I finally commit.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
I restore classic cars, and will not entertain waxoyl, I use Stonechip applied heavily on painted surfaces,and inside chassis sections, any rust is treated with phosphoric acid 20% solution, you can use jenolite follow instructions, then cover with a zinc based primer, on suspension clean derust paint with chassis black then wipe with an oily rag, this can be repeated once a year or more if used through winter months but wash the salt of well,

1 reason for not using waxoyl, it will run off in warm(21+) temperature, 2, it stinks for months,

each to there own,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I let Waxoyl down with white spirit, then it runs very well through a spray gun. The spirit allows a damp area that the wax can 'grip', before it dries away, and the waxoyl gets to work by itself.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back