Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I am going cross-eyed reading forums to try and find a consensus on whether -

1. Waxoiling the underchassis iis worthwhile?
2. Whether DIY waxoiling is effective, or professional is the best way ?

I have a 2004 Hymer Exsis (the original) on a Ducato 2.3, and have plenty of surface rust on the chassis, particularly on the front cross member under the radiator. I would like to waxoil and have the peace of mind to forget about it for a few years. Or am I being optimistic?

There are at least two big players in the waxoil arena, who would have me believe that their work will solve all problems!
But, DIY would save a bundle ..........

Any opinions and experiences please? :Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
do it your self is ok .but you may find some areas need doing every year. i try to warm the waxoil up well and apply it hot . its a messy job. but worth it . better done than rust away. remember to get it where you cant see as well. bit of guess work but its your guess .

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I should also say that I am in the northwest (Southport), so would ideally need someone local if the professional route is recommended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped............and have plenty of surface rust on the chassis, particularly on the front cross member under the radiator.
The cross member is a common victim of rust. We have already had ours replaced, and filled it up with Waxoil as soon as we could.
We would like to have the rest of the underside Waxoiled, but A...we don't have the facility to DIY, and, B...we don't know of anywhere that has a hoist man enough to raise the vehicle, as well as doing the application.

Regards,

Jock.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Waxoyl

Your front crossmember under radiator would in my opinion be best removed cleaned
and painted with rust preventative paint(such as hammerite) on its surface and then treated to a liberal dosing where you cant paint with waxoyl before refitting. Easy to remove as only held by three bolts at each end radiator etc can remain in place as they sit on this on push fit rubber mounts.

Personally I think waxoyl, gives the biggest benefit when it is sprayed under pressure inside the hollow box sections of your chassis, this can only be achieved by using the correct tools for this job which consists of a air powered schultz type gun with a perforated pipe attached that can be passed through any holes in the box section and the product is then sprayed inside to coat and protect the inner surfaces where much of the corrosion takes place.
The best treatment of the surface corrosion on the outer surface of your chassis, depends
on how bad this is to start of with, if its localised to small areas then its probably best to clean well and paint (again with hammerite), if its extensive then a liberal application of waxoxl will probably be more beneficial, but will need re application as it will disappear over time.
Also the above depends on your ability to do the work yourself if you have the time, tools and inclination, or to go to the professionals who have.
Unless you have access to a ramp you will be spending a considerable time on your back under the van doing a very dirty job.

Hope this helps
regards
Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
what does it cost for a proper job?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A pro job can cost £400, but a DIY one less than half that

In my garage Ive got a waxoyl sprayer that you half fill with product then pump the handle to build up pressure. As said before its best sprayed warm, so you sit the gallon can in a bucket and pour boiling water from a kettle round it. A word of warning though, the fumes are pretty nasty and you need to be in a well ventilated area and not sleep in the van for a few nights

definitely worth the effort though, thats why many landrover and classic car owners swear by it

just checked prices and waxoyl clear is £23 for 5 litres and you would need 2 plus about £30 for tools and white spirit to clean up after

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
This is a minefield use google and you will find lots of posts saying they used a well known company and how bad they are, this seems to be all the well known ones who use waxoil after reading these reports its put me off trusting any of them

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Have done this afew times when I had classic cars, the spraying is easy as I have a large compressor and shutz gun. The hard part is raising high enough for access. Never thought of doing the motorhome,looks simple enough as it's got quite a high ground clearence. I've got a spare 5litres in the garage:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back