Waxing and polishing the front top end of motor home (1 Viewer)

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Tried for first time to wax and Polish the front top end of my motor home and almost fell off leaders so many times anyone know an easy but safe way .
How do you guys polish the front top ????

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I fold out the ladders, wrap old pillows around and tie on, then lean them against the front of the van.
Just have to be careful that as the ladders flex when you climb them they don`t catch on anything, mine snag on the wipers if not careful.
Whatever you do, don`t fall off (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have seriously considered buying aluminium scaffold for this job but have been put off by the price!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I fold out the ladders, wrap old pillows around and tie on, then lean them against the front of the van.
Just have to be careful that as the ladders flex when you climb them they don`t catch on anything, mine snag on the wipers if not careful.

I have seen severe damage to MHs caused by ladders and the load of the climber ... I use a scaffold tower which is a bit impractical for many but that's how I do it.

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Thanks guys yea thought about scaffolding too but too pricey .
If it wasn't for the engine sticking so far out it would be a sinch but hey life's never that easy

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have seen severe damage to MHs caused by ladders and the load of the climber ... I use a scaffold tower which is a bit impractical for many but that's how I do it.

I would guess that 75% of the weight is through the ladders to the ground so I`m happy with that and no damage so far

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Cleaned and polished the moho over the last few days. The front top is always difficult and defeated me yesterday. Previously I had my ladder anchored by SWMBO and with pipe insulation on the part that rests on the cab body. Instead I chose to wash with wash-n-wax using a very long handled soft wash brush. It seemed to work well and meant I stayed on the deck as I have found that at 70 plus I now don't bounce too well :LOL:.

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Lol cheers mate I was using a coloured wax and had to use a wax polisher so bloody difficult think I'll have to invest in a small scaffold gee it's all money money money

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have a scaffold tower but usually do the roof having climbed up with a ladder or I used to use the Gantry owned by the casoaa site down near Bosham that way one didn't need to risk slipping on the wet roof.

2015-06-16 11.51.46 HDR_800x600.jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Although I have a scaffold tower and ladders didn't want to risk damage to front of mhome so used Wolf Garten telescopic garden pole with soft cleaning plug in end wrapped with adequate polishing towel. Not perfect but better than hitting the deck from ten feet.
Roof to clean this week :)

My neighbours have an Autotrail Apache and while cleaning roof last weekend she fell and shattered one leg, still in hospital to have plates fitted :(:(

Take it easy out there .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I would guess that 75% of the weight is through the ladders to the ground so I`m happy with that and no damage so far

When we were looking at PVC ( we bought one) there were two at a dealer it Tewksbury that had dents on the panel above the rear doors where unsuspecting folk had ventured up top. Nasty !! Personally I wouldn't do it but each to their own.

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Thought about it myself then felt how springy the roof was quickly changed my mind

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I bought a second hand scaffold tower (steel, their cheaper), and put half one side and other half the other, then put scaffold boards or 8X2s across the two. Bobs youe uncle safe easy cleaning.
If or when you don't want to MH anymore sell the towers for more than you paid for it.
Question - how much does damage to MH cost or two nights in hospital in pain.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
For a deep clean n polish with a power polisher, I use 2 builders trestle with a scaf board to work off

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi

I have one of these :

On this van I can reach the roof without using the boards etc between two ladders and reach most of the roof for Washing it standing on the platform , but I am 1.85 meters tall as well.....polishing and wax I have to use the ladder and have made a large padded spreader plate that goes on the ladder to protect the sides of the van

Daniel

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I climb on to the roof and hang my eight year old grandson over the front holding his ankles while he polishes the overcab bit ;)
My biggest problem is how to stop him growing as the next one along is only 1yr old and doesn't understand the polishing concept at the moment (n)
Some idiot made it illegal to send kids up chimmerlys a while ago but they forgot Moho's :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I bought a second hand scaffold tower (steel, their cheaper), and put half one side and other half the other, then put scaffold boards or 8X2s across the two. Bobs youe uncle safe easy cleaning.
If or when you don't want to MH anymore sell the towers for more than you paid for it.

Zactly ..........

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
101% safe and the best solution by far(y) I would say that cos its how I do it

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I must admit that we've owned some big vans and never had a problem. Our front top end is always nice and shiny. I can't help with how its done right now, but ... Next time Siân is cleaning it I'll sneak a look and see how she does it :D

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
I colour wax the mh twice a year keeps it looking real good but always a problem reaching the top front to wax off ....not wax on

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
if you are anything like your avatar I don't see a problem:D

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

Pillows on the top of a ladder on the van can slip. I use pipe insulation, which is already slit, just slide it over the inside of the ladder rail. You can buy extra thick pipe insulation if needed.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Wearing studded work boots, stand on the bonnet, once the studs have got a bite, you are as safe as houses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back