Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Think I will start waving to ca##vans:whatthe: because just driving up to home from London on the A12 about dozen motorhomes past and not one of the blighters waved back miserable sods, hope thier wheels turn square:Angry:

purpledoghouse

Free Member
Sep 4, 2010
lancashire
Funster No
Exp
since Aug 2010!
hi

we are rather new to campervans and didin't know that was the protocol...have a motorbike and nod a lot at other bikers! will wave at everyone from now on then :winky:

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Hi

When we bought our motorhome, the funsters informed us we have to wave :RollEyes: it is tradition, well 3 months later, if you see an autotrail chieftain driving down the motorway with everyone waving in the front it is us, :Eeek: we rarely get a wave back and always mention it when we driving about the other miserable *********

My son who is 3 and his nana get more waves, when vans pull alongside as us as they overtake they always stunned to see granny waving :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
Here in the Cookingfat clan we wave to all motorhomers no matter where we are. Recent tours from our base in British West Hartlepool include Scotland, Wales, Blackpool and all points west. We usually get a wave back, however, little interaction on sites, are motorhomers just shy?

Great to see lots of terriers sitting on co drivers knees.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I always WAVE, as I am so polite and find that most Motorhomers do not. The A12 especially because when I mentioned this before folk are too busy lookiing where they are going. No we were not on the A12 today but N&N hospital where I seem to spend most of my time.

Dale

peejay

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
South Cheshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx
Exp
Started Nov '09
I am just at the point where I am reluctant to wave, I flash my headlights as well, but rarely get a responce. I put it down to having a van conversion and get mistaken for a 'white van man', ironical 'cos that is my part time job, do you think that it shows!!?:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We always wave and most people wave back. I think there is a tendency, though, for people not to notice vehicles going the other way on a dual carriageway - certainly don't let it worry us :Smile:

I think we've cured Jill of waving at horse boxes but I still have a tendency to wave when we're in the car if I don't think about it - especially if I'm not driving :roflmto:

Graham

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
I wave at at other motorhomes and sometimes get a wave back, except when I am in the mini bus taking kids to College. So if your are ever in Cornwall and between Helston and Truro please wave back at the crazy Mini bus driver. :Doh:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
When we come down to Restronguet Sailing Club we'll wave to you :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
we get a good day with lots that wave ::bigsmile: then a bad day and a load of non wavers:Sad:

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Waving...

:thumb: Only been M/Homing for 5 years & 20K miles but find:

10% = We missed others who obviously thought we were asleep/snobs/rude or all 3

10% = Must have missed us for similar reasons...

10% = Maybe don't know about this gesture !?

SO WE HAVE FOUND ...LETS SAY 68% DO wave.......

and some flash their lights... {2%}[Not something we do much of- could have all sorts of associated problems] :Blush:

PS a few White vans greeted + a few Converted ones not recognised until it was too late!!

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
:thumb: Only been M/Homing for 5 years & 20K miles but find:

10% = We missed others who obviously thought we were asleep/snobs/rude or all 3

10% = Must have missed us for similar reasons...

10% = Maybe don't know about this gesture !?

SO WE HAVE FOUND ...LETS SAY 68% DO wave.......

and some flash their lights... {2%}[Not something we do much of- could have all sorts of associated problems] :Blush:

PS a few White vans greeted + a few Converted ones not recognised until it was too late!!

I would say that the above quote is about right, yes Restronguet is in Cornwall and the mini bus will have Travel 4000 on it, cheers Harry

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
always give a cheery wave to fellow topaz and same like vans , always seem to get a good response::bigsmile:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We wave at everything too, but almost gave up doing it in France in August as we had so little response, causing much use of rude adjectives. But anyway, we'll carry on.

Why do you only wave at 'like' vehicles? That's like saying a BMW motorbike shouldn't nod to a Honda or summat, isn't it?

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
We wave at everything too, but almost gave up doing it in France in August as we had so little response, causing much use of rude adjectives. But anyway, we'll carry on.

I have to say that I found the complete opposit. A quick flash of lights usualy atracts the attension. Dont bother so much on M/ways.

Don

ticktok

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Kent (South Coast)
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
5 Years
Think I will start waving to ca##vans:whatthe: because just driving up to home from London on the A12 about dozen motorhomes past and not one of the blighters waved back miserable sods, hope thier wheels turn square:Angry:

We had quite a good response in France after I got the navigator/co-driver/boss to wave as that’s where they expect the driver to be. :Doh:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years

Why do you only wave at 'like' vehicles? That's like saying a BMW motorbike shouldn't nod to a Honda or summat, isn't it?

Perhaps an age thingy, going back to my VW Baywindow days VBK 210 K yes and i had her from brand new, ( God i miss her) :cry:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we are on the right side for France if you follow me?

We had quite a good response in France after I got the navigator/co-driver/boss to wave as that’s where they expect the driver to be. :Doh:

Being a yank we are on the right side of the vehicle (driver that is in France) and some do and some do not wave.. have tried it on normal roads and that is the best we find..duel carrageways waste of time. Perhaps it is because we are an American? not sure. But does it matter, prefer to keep my attention on the car in front, but I am guilty of a wave now and then..do not use the headlamps.

Bob:Eeek:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I gave up waving years ago.

It was different perhaps in the early days of motorcycling for instance, when you were one of a fairly small brotherhood.

But in this day and age..............?

ALso, we now have a camper that from the front looks like any other white van, and that's the way I like it.

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi all

HI ALL
I allways wave but its 50 50 that wave back used it think it was my old van it was 91 reg but now we have 05 but just the same as before we do wave in france and thats about the same i will keep waving :thumb:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're just back from France and got a lot of waves back. But sometimes we missed other people's waves cos we were trying to work out where we were going, or talking, or just not thinking. I think it's a nice friendly gesture but not worth getting your neck in a knot about if the other person doesn't respond. They're probably just dozy like us. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back