Ha Ha not just me then!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I tend to only see them just as they go by and end up waving to the people behind them....:confused:o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We wave most of the time, if we see them in time, If no response what's the problem, not bothered. They either don't see us or are not the waving type, no problem. As for the one finger mob, well just about shows their mentality....Can't see the point of being rude when either the other party can't see you or are not interested in waving anyway, we are each to our own...:hi:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We always wave, on dual carriageways we sometimes flash the head lights. On the bike I either wave or nod to an oncoming biker. The two finger wave I think is funny, it should mean nothing to an Englishman/Welshman even a Scotsman but it should be offensive to a Frenchman. The one finger wave tells me "great you have one finger" and you have not lost the two, so I give a thumbs up(y)(y).

Being an ex archer I know the two finger origins:cool: sad arnt I

Flook
Sorry. it’s nothing to do with medieval archers. One of my favourite myths:
https://bshistorian.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/two-fingers-up-to-english-history/

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
I am a Waver. I even wave if the motorhome is on the other side of the motorway.
I was in the car the other day and found it so hard not to wave lol

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
been out on my bike today to whitby, having to stop myself waving at motorhomes! and there is lots about today.:oops:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wave if I see another motorhome. If I get a return wave that's great, if not it doesn't matter. I also keep score ...... usually don't wave or flash lights on the motorway as the lights can be misinterpreted and it's so important to concentrate when on the motorway.

Mind I have been known to wave at buses, vans and other vehicles - and I have also waved when in the car. Some people even wave back!

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
A message to all wavers - have fun and wave at every Motorhome that leaves a rally - there are hundreds bumper to bumper - I do - but then I am a tease :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
You tease you:D

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I kinda started this thread tongue in cheek cos I was irked at mums response to the intial waving.

Told her ..Im telling funsters on you and she laughed it off so just had to follow through...I must add mums had no connection this weekend...I wonder why. :LOL:
Might just let her log on shortly. :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I kinda started this thread tongue in cheek cos I was irked at mums response to the intial waving.

Told her ..Im telling funsters on you and she laughed it off so just had to follow through...I must add mums had no connection this weekend...I wonder why. :LOL:
Might just let her log on shortly. :)
I was going to tell you to stay off line when you've had tooooo much wine , but then thought na,I'll just shop you to mum... :LOL:

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Is a sign of getting older but after doing silly speeds on the bike today first thing i told my wife when i got in was how many motorhomes i had seen! :rolleyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
total bs trying to debunk historical references by linking to foreign publications and not finding the matter mentioned. I have previously read old books that mentioned the origins of the 2 finger salute, written by knowledgeable and highly regarded historians. much more believable than some keyboard warrior trying to deny history

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
total bs trying to debunk historical references by linking to foreign publications and not finding the matter mentioned. I have previously read old books that mentioned the origins of the 2 finger salute, written by knowledgeable and highly regarded historians. much more believable than some keyboard warrior trying to deny history
Richard Holmes in his War Walks book also mentions the two fingered archers story when discussing Agincourt. Unfortunately, unlike some of his other books there are no references in the book. This might be because it seems there are no actual historical references earlier than the beginning of the twentieth century. Desmond Morris tried to research it's origins for a book on gestures but got nowhere. His conclusion was we will probably never know where it came from.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp

Hiya, err sorry, I have checked this out with archery records and history etc, and I am correct, the two finger salute originated as I said. Unfortunately history as it will do have many variations on the how this salute came forth. Fact is, when the good ole French chaps decided to capture the orible English archers, they for some reason or other thought it was a good idea to prevent these English blokes from daring to pull the bow string thing back with an arrow knocked ever again, thus hoping this would reduce the amount of English archers. However, some were a bit sneaky and could draw the long bow with the other hand(y). Word got around what the ole frenchies were doing, so when the English had the audacity to capture these French, they allowed the archers to be at the FRONT so they could do the honours of the two finger salute

Flook (ex Northants County archer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
When travelling through Norfolk last summer, a silly old sod in an oncoming Motorhome was waving so vigorously that he strayed across the white line and wiped out my drivers mirror and scraped my door...

I do not wave now...

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Typicle geezers from Norfolk, only kidding. Must have been at the booze, little blighter, rather big bugger, was it an RV driver???

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When travelling through Norfolk last summer, a silly old sod in an oncoming Motorhome was waving so vigorously that he strayed across the white line and wiped out my drivers mirror and scraped my door...

I do not wave now...
It might be better if he didn't!:imoutahere:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't wave when I'm overtaking cos I would turn my head to look sideways at to whom I am waving ..... and then I have a tendency to veer to that side and would crash into them and they would be very annoyed and so I don't .. :) .... but I do when I am going towards them because then I can look forwards and steer forwards at the same time. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't wave when I'm overtaking cos I would turn my head to look sideways at to whom I am waving ..... and then I have a tendency to veer to that side and would crash into them and they would be very annoyed and so I don't .. :) .... but I do when I am going towards them because then I can look forwards and steer forwards at the same time. :)
when I was taught my roadcraft, the VERY strict and knowledgable instructor taught me that the brain naturally follows your eyes and its a reflex reaction to steer in the direction you are looking

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I wave and get frowned at by SWMBO because I grin like a Cheshire cat whilst doing so - she thinks I look special

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back