Athloneboy

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
West
Funster No
MH
Thor
Exp
I have a 1974 American style motor home with a damp and rotting inside of exterior wall problem
I will have to rip out what's too rotten and dry out remainder of wood but how can I then waterproof and stop problem reoccurring .
Any help much appreciated
Thanks a lot

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry for the bad news. but at that age its possible the aluminium outer skin has gone porous and has thousands of pinprick holes in it. have seen that on several older imported vans. if it is, replacing the outer panelling is the only cure. otherwise its a case of finding the joint or window seal leaking and remaking the joint with new mastic. a 40 year old van takes a massive amount of work to keep waterproof

OP
OP
A

Athloneboy

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
West
Funster No
MH
Thor
Exp
Hi
Sorry meant to say 1994 not 74
The outer skin is fine totally but the plastic protecting the inside wood has disintegrated and allowed water and damp in and I did not address prob when I should have
As I say outer body fine and interior totally dry only wood on lower inside wall of outer skip ( if that makes sense ) wet and coming away and generally falling away
Thanks for any input

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a better description that one. basically the damp is getting in from outside if the woods rotten. the plastic coated ply resists moisture coming from inside the van (unless theres a leaking pipe). more investigation will probably show a seam on the outside leaking or damp rising from a wet floor. you may not know exactly how bad or where its getting in until you strip down the rotten panel. probably far worse than it looks on the surface. thats the nature of damp in a motorhome. but think logically and you know water to cause that damage has been getting in a while

mind you, you could put a spin on it and say your van has a unique water feature:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back