Free Member
Mar 13, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Orian
Exp
im a Newbie
Hi all our van is not as shiny as we would like we have been looking at a waterless Polish like options on best polish to use

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have just done ours with Autoglym resin polish it's very easy to use and leaves a nice shine.the water just pills off of the surface.
Also used showroom shine dry wash which is also good and easy to use am going to use that when out and about to save water.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Waterless wash solutions do not clear the surface before washing takes place.

So all the dust and road grime is pushed around the surface which inflicts swirling and the light scratches ...
Honestly it's just expensive rubbish...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have just done ours with Autoglym resin polish it's very easy to use and leaves a nice shine.the water just pills off of the surface.
Also used showroom shine dry wash which is also good and easy to use am going to use that when out and about to save water.

I can't understand how SRP is shedding water.

SRP is a polish not a wax or sealant so leaves absolutely no protectant on the surface whatsoever ! It can't as there are no ingredients in it to enable it to do so.

SRP is a very very low cut polish and contains fillers which when polishing makes swirling less obvious. But it's because is filling the swirls rather than removing them. Result is is that when the polish is removed by washing the vehicle or rain the swirls become obvious again.

There is a thread here somewhere that explains the difference between a polish and a wax or sealant .

If we were to take a vehicle that has been waxed and polish it with SRP the SRP would remove any wax applied.

It's that low a cut its often used as a paint cleanser .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I can't understand how SRP is shedding water.

SRP is a polish not a wax or sealant so leaves absolutely no protectant on the surface whatsoever ! It can't as there are no ingredients in it to enable it to do so.

SRP is a very very low cut polish and contains fillers which when polishing makes swirling less obvious. But it's because is filling the swirls rather than removing them. Result is is that when the polish is removed by washing the vehicle or rain the swirls become obvious again.

There is a thread here somewhere that explains the difference between a polish and a wax or sealant .

If we were to take a vehicle that has been waxed and polish it with SRP the SRP would remove any wax applied.

It's that low a cut its often used as a paint cleanser .
I used SRP first and then applied the Autoglym resin so that I had a clean surface to put it onto.
Now that you have told me this I will not use SRP on the top of resin unless I feel it needs to be cut back.
Thanks for the advice

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I used SRP first and then applied the Autoglym resin so that I had a clean surface to put it onto.
Now that you have told me this I will not use SRP on the top of resin unless I feel it needs to be cut back.
Thanks for the advice

Confused.... SRP is Super Resin Polish.....

There is another Autoglym product called Extra gloss protection..

The latter is a sort of sealant. It does have some protection but it doesent last very long unfortunately.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Confused.... SRP is Super Resin Polish.....

There is another Autoglym product called Extra gloss protection..

The latter is a sort of sealant. It does have some protection but it doesent last very long unfortunately.
Sorry if I am being thick, Am I correct in thinking That after putting Autoglym super Resin on I need to seal it with something else?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sorry if I am being thick, Am I correct in thinking That after putting Autoglym super Resin on I need to seal it with something else?

Super Resin Polish is just that a polish. So after either using is as a paint cleanser of a light polish yes you should wax or seal the surface..
No such thing as thick my friend it's just understanding the vast array of products and it's so easy to get confused.

I grew up being called thick but now they call it dyslexic. Mmmmmm

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Super Resin Polish is just that a polish. So after either using is as a paint cleanser of a light polish yes you should wax or seal the surface..
No such thing as thick my friend it's just understanding the vast array of products and it's so easy to get confused.

I grew up being called thick but now they call it dyslexic. Mmmmmm
Thanks for that Charlie.
I've just found this on Autoglym site.
Super Resin Polish is suitable for all types and colours of paint. Light scratches, swirls, stains and scuffs vanish leaving your paintwork like new. It restores gloss to dull surfaces, is simple to use and will never dry hard or become difficult to remove.

Super Resin Polish can be used on both new and old paintwork, it doesn't have to be in poor condition. A light coating will improve the condition of any vehicle.

Super Resin Polish is a legend in the world of car care and you will find a bottle on the shelf in any true car enthusiast's garage.

Pro Tip: If Super Resin Polish is used, there is no need to use Ultra Deep Shine as well.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Alan please do not believe the manufacturers hype.

Super Resin Polish really is an ultra low cut polish.

It is capable of removing the light scratches and swirls. Swirls are of course just light scratches usually inflicted by poor washing practices.

Once you have polished with SRP the surface will need waxing or sealing so as to protect the surface from the muck and grime and all the crap that gets on our vehicles.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Juts to re cap and maybe clarify.

SRP whilst being a polish is one that had so little cut it is really only of use as a paint cleanser.

We might use a paint cleanser to remove road grime and the usual contaminants before we apply a wax or sealant.

As a polish not only is SRP lacking in cut so therefore very slow it contains fillers which hide the swirls and/or light scratches we are looking to remove.

It's actually ideal for making a poor paint surface look good perhaps before selling it.

If I were presented with a swirled car to correct the paint and by that I mean remove all swirls light scratches and marks inflicted upon it SRP would be the last polish I would use as its ultra low cut would mean extremely slow progress and the blooming fillers would be a pain.

If the same car was being prepared for say an auction sale SRP would be ace.

No matter what we polish though it's very desirable to apply a water shedding product to keep muck from sticking and help the dreaded black streaks at bay in the case of our motor homes.

This can only be done with a wax or sealant.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks@charlie that been a really useful thread to me and I Should imagine many other readers I take your advice seriously and will try and give the van a waxing before it gets dirty again.another couple of days arm ache!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This seems to suggest that it seals and protects, I know that rains always beads when I have used Super Resin Polish.

http://www.bestcarwaxadvice.co.uk/autoglym-super-resin-polish-review/

Martin
Not sure how it can bead but maybe it alters the way rain sits as the surface has become slicker ??

In you link it says under Cons how the product fills ... Again this may explain why water is sheeting off ?

Let's be honest here SRP aid dead old fashioned today though it still can be a viable and useful product. Just outdated by modern polishes.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
In my little understanding, the smoother the surface - the more the liquid will bead. Just because water beads on a surface doesn't mean to say that surface is protected, just smooth. The smoother, the beadier (new word!).

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This is water beading on a waxed surface.

This picture shows the results of using water less products. Note the swirling and light scratches.

Paint corrected using Menzerna polishes. Japanese paint is very soft so light cut polishes are the order of the day.

Another swirled panel..

Corrected.

Putting waterless products on any surface that has not been cleaned and rubbing them around will create a cutting paste. That paste will inflict the damage to whatever surface you are cleaning. The result will be exactly the same as in the pictures above..

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
You know what I must have spent hundreds of pounds on polishes over the years by believing what it says on the pack and its only recently I've discovered the difference between polish and wax:doh: and having a look around Halfords the other day I think the manufacturer's deliberately dupe us into thinking that polish gives us a protective coating:crying:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure how it can bead but maybe it alters the way rain sits as the surface has become slicker ??

In you link it says under Cons how the product fills ... Again this may explain why water is sheeting off ?

Let's be honest here SRP aid dead old fashioned today though it still can be a viable and useful product. Just outdated by modern polishes.

In the link I added surface filling is listed under the pro points NOT in the con section.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is water beading on a waxed surface.

This picture shows the results of using water less products. Note the swirling and light scratches.

Paint corrected using Menzerna polishes. Japanese paint is very soft so light cut polishes are the order of the day.

Another swirled panel..

Corrected.

Putting waterless products on any surface that has not been cleaned and rubbing them around will create a cutting paste. That paste will inflict the damage to whatever surface you are cleaning. The result will be exactly the same as in the pictures above..

Hi Charlie

I don't buy dark cars because I don't like swirl marks, I know they are still there on light colours but you don't see them the same.

How many times can you do this type of correction without making the lacquer coat too thin, I it depends so just an average if possible.

Looks good by the way.

Martin

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie

I don't buy dark cars because I don't like swirl marks, I know they are still there on light colours but you don't see them the same.

How many times can you do this type of correction without making the lacquer coat too thin, I it depends so just an average if possible.

Looks good by the way.

Martin

Martin I measure paint when polishing with a dual layer Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) in order to monitor how much material I have in hand..

Even a fairly heavy cut removes very little of the lacquer which is the top most layer we are polishing.

All manufacturer's apply paints and lacquers at varying thicknesses so there cannot be an average I'm afraid.

You are absolutely correct swirls do show much more on darker colours but its amazing the depth and clarity than can be brought out on silvers and white cars which are a hard colour to achieve stunning results on .

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Its no wonder that people get confused by manufacturers misnaming. the trade version of SRP is called Radiant wax polish, yet I'm convinced there isn't any wax in it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back