Water water everywhere. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I just checked mine and other sealed roof joints and they appear ok but it all relies on Gunter with the gun , if he misses a little bit of sealant it's a problem.
Hope yours is ok now @GWAYGWAY but what a pain when you spend so much.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
all relies on Gunter with the gun.

Or Graham with a gun on a video posted a while ago, think it was Bailey, I was surprised how very fast they worked with a hand held gun and how you could guarantee some joints were going to be missed and not spotted.

Robots have not taken over without good reason. We are not prepared to pay enough wages to ensure good old humans have time to do a good job. Trouble is MH are too low volume to bring in the robots.

Anyway, feat your eyes on this...........

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
@QFour is £90,000 a cheap deal GERMAN DETHLEFFS MAGIC EDTION I should be a happy chap ray xx lol still lol they bombed my granny's fish shop a well:swear2::swear2:

You were robbed .. Dick Turpin Auto's I presume ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just caught up with this, pleased you got it sorted, although it sounded alarming turned out to be a simple fix.
As for your garage door leak we had the same on out last van an Exsis i which used basicly the same body, when parked facing the prevailing weather in severe weather contitions. Garage door seal was changed problem cured. Our new DL has a completely new door seal arragement I assume the new Exsis (from June 2017) has the same arragement as it uses the same body.

No excuses for Hymer but they are the largest manufacturers in Europe by quite a margin and all manufacturers have the odd bad van, as a percentage of build quantity far less than the likes Swift etc.

Also need to bear in mind they are just a mid range van in Germany that has been hyped up in the UK to premium status so people expect more of them.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@johnp10 like with all attractions you have to pay to get in what does it say about England but I think they are going to remove the charge soon just to let you see our WALES ray xx lol still lol we will all be waiting to give you a warm welcome to our land of our fathers :pinocchio:

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I just checked mine and other sealed roof joints and they appear ok but it all relies on Gunter with the gun , if he misses a little bit of sealant it's a problem.
Hope yours is ok now @GWAYGWAY but what a pain when you spend so much.
Yes it does depend on the workmanship of the person in the factory doing these jobs, only nowadays it is more likely to be Ali not Gunter doing these mundane jobs. I watched Bailey workers building caravans and the attitude of those blokes left a lot to be desired, slap it on plop it down next one. Factory line work is mind killing I tried it for a week when I was 16, that was enough for me. The inspectors in the factory are the ones that really count to not let a short job through the line. The Germans are normally very thorough in the work but the quality goes down with the calibre of the people they get to do these jobs.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Good to hear all us now fixed.

The gutter is a left over from the van's being designed to be LHD.

Its main purpose I think is to stop water that pools on the roof coming in through the open cab window if you set off with the window open after rain.

To test it out, wait until it has rained, open the cab sliding window and reverse. It's surprising how much water can come off the roof . But nothing seems to cascade down the left, where the gutter is....
I thought that was the reason but it is such a tacky bit stuck up there. Screws mean holes and the holes leaked.. It has gone altogether on my instructions . I have bought some uPvc j Section 3 metres for £4.00. I Am going to Sikaseal it below the point it was, to act the same way much better to glue it no holes no leak. I will also go over the whole thing very carefully as the damp check by dealers would not have found that fault. It was hidden up behind the drop down bed cloth trim., I saw it when I went to bed during last weeks torrential rain storms.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You must have caught Lowdhams on a good day. Last time I visited with a MH they wanted to video the fault which was a broken white plastic cover over the external power outlet near the water filler tank. The retaining part had just snapped. I bought one is was cheaper than going back £1.20 and fitted it myself.

Glad it's sorted it's not very nice to get faults like that on a new MH.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I think I'd better look at the front of ours too, don't want to discover it's leaking at both ends. It's going in earlier than planned for it's water test due to finding water in the wardrobe.
Lowdhams have been ok with us, apart from they appeared to just want the warranty work replacing our locker door again, rather than finding out why it was damp in the first place.
Our bigger issue with them at the moment is that when we bought it (Aug 2015) at one year old it came with the 'Lowdhams 3 year Ultimate Warranty'
We tried to make a claim recently for a mechanical issue (outside the Fiat 2 year cover) to be told by the MB+G who provide the cover that they have no record of us ever being registered with them. When I queried this with Lowdhams they said they would me back on Monday, that was over a week ago.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Im sorry to hear that someone who has paid a considerable amount of money on a motorhome has had problems!
But I know you will crucify me, but I did have a chuckle!:D
I havent been on this site long, but all ive heard from the same people! Dont buy british, coz they are shyte!
You need to buy German!
Ive read numerous threads recently, that buying German is also Shyte!
So all you smug Hymer group owners thinking you are the bees knees, have a bit of empathy for people when they say they have problems, and dont automatically turn to your default position of!
'Its your own fault for buying British';)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure there are good and bad amongst manufacturers from different countries. And good makers who occasionally turn out a bad van. And poor ones who sometimes make a good one. I had a short list of AutoTrail, Bailey and Auto-Sleepers when I went to the show last October. I opted for the Auto-Sleeper, even though it was the dearest, because my perception was that the quality was higher. So far I have been thrilled with it. Nothing worse than a slightly loose toilet roll holder, which needed another half turn of the retaining screw. But I have heard tales of bad Auto-Sleepers and good Baileys and Auto-Trails. It is a bit of a lottery. I wouldn't say that German vans are always the best but I'm certainly not knocking them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So, should I go German if I fancy an indoor splash pool?

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
I'm on my third new Hymer been pleased with all of them I accept they are a mid range product and I pay mid range prices for them I've imported all 3 I won't pay silly UK prices for them.:D
You're very brave - one "Adolf" was enough for us :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Well, here's a 'smug Hymer Group Owner' who is very happy with Hymer's product, and Bad Waldsee customer service. We're off to Belgium/Germany next week and hope to reach a deal on a new A Class Hymer.
Like @Lenny HB , we just wouldn't be prepared to pay British prices - for either a Continental or British product.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You must have caught Lowdhams on a good day. Last time I visited with a MH they wanted to video the fault which was a broken white plastic cover over the external power outlet near the water filler tank. The retaining part had just snapped. I bought one is was cheaper than going back £1.20 and fitted it myself.

Glad it's sorted it's not very nice to get faults like that on a new MH.
I think the fast action was because they didn't want Hymers name leaked out, or in.
I have just stuck the J section Upvc above the door to deflect the rain and it is stuck with no screws on it at all, which is how the factory should have done it.

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
Went to the Hymer factory in Bad Waldsee in 2010. Chassis cab driven onto production line at beginning of our tour and complete van driven off at end. How long ? About 90 minutes !
Attaching roof and back took about 2 minutes and each side about the same.
Operative dressing the sides (with decals) took about one minute per side with an amazingly good eye and speed of hand. This visit and our poor experience with our Van 522 led us in the direction of a PVC.
Fords and BMWs are of comparative quality but reputation allows a premium price so you pay about 33% more for the BMW.
We should all actually look at the engineering realities of what we are buying. So vans are so poor it is obvious.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Went to the Hymer factory in Bad Waldsee in 2010. Chassis cab driven onto production line at beginning of our tour and complete van driven off at end. How long ? About 90 minutes !
Attaching roof and back took about 2 minutes and each side about the same.
Operative dressing the sides (with decals) took about one minute per side with an amazingly good eye and speed of hand. This visit and our poor experience with our Van 522 led us in the direction of a PVC.
Fords and BMWs are of comparative quality but reputation allows a premium price so you pay about 33% more for the BMW.
We should all actually look at the engineering realities of what we are buying. So vans are so poor it is obvious.

Yes I was disappointed in 2011 when I did the Niesmann&Bischoff factory tour. Salesman saying the whole front GRP section bought from Turkey because Germans couldn't make them cheap enough.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My chassis cab was waiting for a whole year before it went into the Hymer factory ,from the time it left Mercedes factory, I hope it was under cover.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I was disappointed in 2011 when I did the Niesmann&Bischoff factory tour. Salesman saying the whole front GRP section bought from Turkey because Germans couldn't make them cheap enough.
A lot of the motorhome GRP comes from Turkey, they have less stringent rules about styrene levels in the workplace(y)

I dont know if ours was from Turkey or not but there is nothing wrong with it and if they can cut costs they can pass the savings on to the customer:LOL:

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of the motorhome GRP comes from Turkey, they have less stringent rules about styrene levels in the workplace(y)

I dont know if ours was from Turkey or not but there is nothing wrong with it and if they can cut costs they can pass the savings on to the customer:LOL:

Martin

Yes yours will be from Turkey Martin, he said for the last 10 years they had got them from Turkey and that was in 2011.

He said that initially they were so bad from Turkey that Niesmann had to chuck 7 out of 10 away. Even doing that they were still cheaper that getting german made ones, amazing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back