Water water everywhere... (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Might still be an air block. Try turning differnt taps on in turn including shower. Mine did this when i drained down for winter. Took a while to get water running again when refilled. Pain in the.... tbh

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
To you have any idea how much they cost to replace?
Not sure. We have a 2015 Hymer and the Reich submersible pump for that costs between about £40 (from Amazon) and about £70 (from a Hymer dealer) to buy. You need to take it out and see what make and model it is. In fact you can probably do that just by looking through the hatch at it.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Might still be an air block. Try turning differnt taps on in turn including shower. Mine did this when i drained down for winter. Took a while to get water running again when refilled. Pain in the.... tbh
Thanks. I also remember that when I bought the van the tank was empty and after the dealer filled it up it took him quite a while to get it coming out of the taps.
What did you do to get it going again?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Thanks. I also remember that when I bought the van the tank was empty and after the dealer filled it up it took him quite a while to get it coming out of the taps.
What did you do to get it going again?
Patience and kept opening and closing kitchen tap, bathtoom tap and shower along with turning pump on and off. Think took 5 to 10 mins in end to work properly.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks. Do you mean turning pump on and off at the control panel?

And so you didn't do any sucking/blowing through taps?!

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Thanks. Do you mean turning pump on and off at the control panel?

And so you didn't do any sucking/blowing through taps?!
Yes did turn off at control panel a couple of times not in quick sucession wanted to let wster re settle and move air block around. And no did not try to suck air out as never thought of that. Mine was spurting at times and i could hear it i knee thr pump was working and sounded like an air block. I am sure i read somewhere it was my dault as i either forgot to re ooen a valve or opened it too early cannot recall. I am sure theres a correct way to refill from empty. Maybe some one else can clarify? As i am not sure its normal.
I plan to ask dealership when it goes in for service mot and hab check in june.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On our Bessacar - the 'master' tap was the shower - and unless you turned that on first, you could be there all flippin day .....

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Still not having any luck with this. Losing confidence that it is an air lock. Any other thoughts?

I need to try and have a look inside with a mirror and see if the refill might have knocked the pipe off the pump.
The pump seems to be firmly fixed under water to the side of the tank. Any tips on getting this off and out?

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
All sorted now. Just out of interest - how often do you guys completely drain the tank and refill? Would you do that every trip just for hygeine's sake?

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Pump had failed. I am guessing through dry-running. It's made me a bit nervous about draining down completely and then drawing through again. But I guess you just have to do that for clean water!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi Andy what sort of pump is it? ie the make

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Pump had failed. I am guessing through dry-running. It's made me a bit nervous about draining down completely and then drawing through again. But I guess you just have to do that for clean water!
I have a drain valve on the bottom of our fresh water tank and after a trip and if we are not going to use it again within a week I drain all the water from the tank. I don't bother with the water in the pipes.
We have a diaphragm type pump which as far as I know can be run dry but your pump may be different of course. :)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Draining down is for two main reasons
1) getting rid of water so that when you fill up the water you use for drinking is Fresh
2) To prevent freezing in cold weather.

1) We refill the tanks and system with fresh water every trip and any water we drink we pass through a filter jug
Been doing this for 6 years with no ill effects.
2) When the van is empty in winter everything is drained down
just emptying your fresh tank will NOT prevent freezing in cold weather.
The real risk is water in the pump and water in the pipe line and in the boiler.
The smaller the amount of water in an are the more likely it is to freeze if the temperatiure drops around it
So pipe lines are vulnerable. They dont burst like copper
but the joints are forced open by the ice and when the ice melts you get leaks often from a number of joints at once.
The pump is particularly vulnerable because a small amount of water is held in the pump head
this can result in the head cracking or the diaphgram beng torn
The boiler is not as prone HOWEVER if it freezes you are looking at a whopping big bill
hence the auto drain valve to protect it.
Leave all taps open over the winter and the shower hose hanging so any water drips out.

Best advice change the water regularly you can pump it all out via the taps and replace with fresh. If you use the van regularly.
In winter drain completely.

To refilll ensure the drain valve from the fresh tank is closed
Reset the the autodump valve protecting the boiler to the closed position and ensure your waste tank valve is closed
If the temeperature is cold you may have to have someone hold the autodump valve in a closed position whilst you refill OR as I do fit a peg on the valve as a temporary thing whilst filling.
Refill the freshwater tank as normal (hose pipe or watering can).
Then close all the taps
Open the cold tap tap nearest to the fresh water tank.
Switch on the pump
give it a minute to see if water starts to come through whilst waiting go outside and see if any water is running out underneath if it is
check (is the fresh water drain tap closed, is the dump valve closed
is your waste tank closed)

After a minute or so you should get cold water through the tap.
Close the tap. Then move to the next cold tap nearest the freshwater tank. Open this when water comes out close it
and then do the same with the shower.
Then repeat the procedure with the hot taps.
Doing one tap at a time should prevent air being sucked into the system from an open tap.

All systems vary and take different lengths of time to fill
Hope this helps
Kev

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is so helpful. Thank you.

Fresh water drain tap and dump valve - what are they?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
FRESH WATER TANK
Your fresh water tank is the tank that YOU fill up with water from a tap at home or on a camp site.
ie the tank in the motorhome that carries your wateras you drive around. Itcould be under a seat inside the van or
between the floors in double floored vans usually this tank has a pipe leading from the bottom of it to the outside of the van.
DRAIN TAP
The pipe is fitted with some sort of tap or stop valve (it maybe quite a long way from your tank, inside a locker or thee garage or between floors You need to search to find it). When you turn the tap or valve it allows the water inside the tank to run out of the tanks onto the floor outside thus draining all water from the tank and before the pump. After draining a tank remember to close the valve or any water you put in when you refill will run straight out onto the floor outside.

AUTOMATIC DUMP VALVE
This operates in TWO different ways
FIRST WAY MANUALLY

This is usually sited quite close to your hot water boiler. It performs a similar function to drain water from the hot water boiler. On mine you press a red plunger down (this is manually operating the drain valve, I do this in winter to empty the system when it's not running) and this allows the water in the hot water boiler to run out of a pipe onto the floor outside the van thus draining the boiler and preventing it freezing in winter and consequently damaging the hot water boiler

SECOND WAY AUTOMATICALLY
This is designed to operate in winter
If you are running your boiler in winter it remains closed and allows the water in the boiler to be heated up.
However if you run out of gas or if the van is stored and has no heating on and the water temprature drops to
close to freezing the valve automatically opens and allows the water to be dumped from the boiler this is to prevent the water freezing in the boiler and damaging it. When this happens if you turn on a tap water will be pumped back into the boiler but the boiler will not fill The water will run out of the bottom of the boiler onto the path outside. You need to manually close the valve (on mine I have to lift the red plunger and hold it in position
I do it with a peg) and then the boiler fills with water once heated up the dump valve plunger should remain closed.

Hope that helps
Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back