Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
I'm afraid this is another dumb question that popped into my head, but how do you fill your fresh water tank?I know your answers are going to be simple and obvious, I also know I'm going to feel really silly, but I don't mind:)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
use water from a tap. ideally using a food grade hose to avoid it tainting the water. to top up on a site, i keep a clean 2 gallon watering can for ease of use

oh and the water goes into the water filler point usually on the side of the van. never to be mistaken with the fuel filler as discovered by too many newbies

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Anything larger than a VW type campervan will have a water fill point on the side - very similar to the fuel fill point (so don't mix them up!). Small campervans have removable water containers rather than fixed tanks, so you can take the container to the tap.

You can fill by removing the filler cap & sticking a hose pipe in the hole, or use a watering can. Some people use the same rollalong water carriers that caravanners have, complete with a submersible pump to pump the water up & into the filler pipe.

To make it really easy, you can get a special filler cap that accepts a plug-in hose fitment. (you only put in on when filling). See here for an example.

There are two different versions, depending on whether your tank has an overflow or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I use a 5 litre petrol container for daily top ups on site, obviously bought purely for this purpose and not having had fuel in it! Prefer this to a watering can as the flexible filler pipe is better to access the angle. Main fillng is by the miracle hoses that don't take up any room at all, admittedly not food grade but I never drink water direct from my tank.

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
..........oh and the water goes into the water filler point usually on the side of the van. never to be mistaken with the fuel filler as discovered by too many newbies

On any vehicle from a panel van conversion upwards in size it is normal for the fuel filler cap to be opened by the ignition key and the water fill cap to be opened by the same key which operates all the other locks.

Of course, there will be some exceptions to this.

J

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On mine the door locks & fuel cap are the same key & the ignition , habitation door, leisure batter, water tank & onboard gas tank all have there own individual keys.
yes ,that's 6 keys !:LOL:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
use water from a tap. ideally using a food grade hose to avoid it tainting the water. to top up on a site, i keep a clean 2 gallon watering can for ease of use

oh and the water goes into the water filler point usually on the side of the van. never to be mistaken with the fuel filler as discovered by too many newbies

I agree with Thebig1 in that I use a food grade hose or a garden water can kept specially for this purpose.

P'S There's no such thing as a "dumb question" on Fun but you sure will get some dumb answers!;)

But is the watering can also food grade ?

Water isnt in a hose long enough to pick up any leached chemicals whereas the watering can needs to be carried for some distance full of water....but it still wont pick up chemicals unless you leave it for hours before filling.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cant remember the acronym for the plastic used in the watering can, however i did check and the plastic used is non toxic. same stuff the tank is made of. the flexible liner of a garden hose however is made of a plastic known to leach carcinogens into the water. plus the water has a bad taste

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
But is the watering can also food grade ?

Water isnt in a hose long enough to pick up any leached chemicals whereas the watering can needs to be carried for some distance full of water....but it still wont pick up chemicals unless you leave it for hours before filling.
I always flush the hose through before use and I never leave water in the watering can but pour it straight into the tank.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
with a bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza with a bucket:)

Upvote 0

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Those that replied - Re tainting the water from using a hose pipe etc, if you are just using the water for washing up, showering and loo does it really matter? Or are you drinking it?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use a food grade hose where I can and where this isn't practical I have an Aquaroll, a 14 year old to go and fill it, and a 12V pump. Either way no heavy lifting or manual labour involved (y)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We use a hosepipe when possible and carry a fold flat one on a reel in the van. Always flush it through first to dislodge any spiders but we don't use this water for drinking, only washing etc.

For topping up when no convenient tap available we have a folding bucket, ( using a different coloured one for emptying waste) and to get it in the tank I have a small funnel with a bit of hosepipe glued on the end. Fortuitously, the funnel hooks onto the window frame above the filler and stays in place.

Main aim for us is to have stuff which takes up the smallest volume.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have 3 different length hoses which can be joined together (food grade as we use our water for tea etc), watering can and an aquaroll and pump. The filler cap with a hose connector on is brilliant (though overpriced for what it is).
I usually try to travel with a full tank, filling up when I leave a place also emptying grey/toilet tanks, so as to be OK to stop wherever without worrying about whether there is any water at the next place I stop. There are aires that don't have water, or have water but needs a jeton which is only available from a place that is closed, or in winter the taps may be frozen or turned off (we've had this in the UK in the winter).
An aquaroll takes up a lot of space but if the space was liberated SWMBO would fill it with something a lot heavier.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back