Water tanks (1 Viewer)

P

peterspark

Deleted User
HI CAN ANY ONE HELP WITH THIS ,WE HAVE A BAD TASTE WHEN I FILL OUR WATER THANKS ON SITE, WE HAVE 26 GALLON TANK THIS THE ANY WAY TO CLEAN THE TANKS OUT? :Eeek:
MANY THANKS FOR YOU HELP
PETER

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Peter,

best i can offer is to empty the tank, refill with clean water and empty in a couple of bottles of Milton fluid....the stuff for cleaning babies feeding bottles.
draw off some water through all the taps to get the solution into the pipes and leave for a day or two.

drain and refill then open the taps for a while.

drain and refill again and it should be much better.
good thing with milton is its harmless so any residue wont make you ill.

if not you could fit a good quality water filter in the kitchen cold tap pipe.

the tank should be treated every year or so to keep it clean.

if you dont use the RV for longer periods then its worth draining the tank so the water doesnt stagnate.

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
HI CAN ANY ONE HELP WITH THIS ,WE HAVE A BAD TASTE WHEN I FILL OUR WATER THANKS ON SITE, WE HAVE 26 GALLON TANK THIS THE ANY WAY TO CLEAN THE TANKS OUT? :Eeek:
MANY THANKS FOR YOU HELP
PETER

Probably the best way is to get yourself a tub of Aquapure (I think that's what it's called - it's in a blue tub). Fill the tank and add the requisite amount of product, ensuring that it finds it's way through all the pipework (run the taps :Smile:) then leave it to stand for several hours. Drain the tank down and refill it with fresh water (you are using a blue food quality hose aren't you? Sometimes (not always) garden hose taints the water. Run all of this out through the different parts of the system and then refill again.

This is better than using Milton since that is a bleach type of product which can attack rubber seals.

There are other methods, but this is what we do. Sodium Metabisulphate is recommended by some people, but not by Whale, as apparently it does damage too.

Hope I've been of help.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We drink only bottled water. Bypasses all the tank problems. 5l bottles may work out cheaper than a load of chemicals.

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
What you need is Micropur Tankline by Katadyn

It's supplied through Thetford and some of the larger accessory shops.

It consists of 3 bottles to clean, disinfect and maintains. Its absolutely brilliant. We bought a S/hand Motorhome that had fresh water standing in it for some time and not only tasted awful but smelt awful. We followed the instuctions on each bottle and it worked a treat. Not cheap at around £12 for the pack but worth every penny and more

You can buy each of the bottles seperately if you don't want to do the whole thing at £4.99 each.

Brands and Products - KATADYN Brands and Products - global Number One in individualized water purification systems and water purification products

Pete

Last edited:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
watertank

It may not be the tank.Are you useing a food grade hose(colour blue) to fill the tank?If not,no matter how many times you clean the tank you will still get a funny taste.
Dave

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Ok, I have been down this path a couple of time with boats and vans and I have found:---

Give you tank, pipes and pump couple of refills and flushes with a water that you know is good, taste it! then fit a good filter such as <http://www.generalecologyeurope.com/tstsnp.htm>.

Forget all the additive, they only add more off tastes, the water my be fit for drinking but you wony like the taste,

Doug

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I use Milton in my tank twice a year fill it and flush it , but we drink bottled water filled through our filter at home and its cheap enough to buy. In France we only drink bottled water it is cheaper

OP
OP
P

peterspark

Deleted User
water tank

many thanks for your advice
peter::bigsmile:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
We use Puriclean in the tanks twice yearly. Use pneumatic PVC braided hose and drink what comes out of the tank.
To date we have yet to encounter funny tastes or smells.

We never wash dishes in the van and yet it still surprises me what gathers inside the grey tanks. I would reccommend the removal of the large Bung and get your hand inside, you may get a surprise :-(
Another method I have used to clean internal drain pipes is to back fill the tanks at mains pressure this then cleans any gunge collected in the drain hoses and flushes it out of the bung hole (large screw cap).
Steve

Steve

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
The best method is to install a water filter, an expensive but sure fire method. no taste no problems. The best way is to get the kit that includes a tap and install for drinking water only, this makes the filter cart. last longer depending on useage approx 2 seasons. Its easy to tell when it needs replacing as the flow rate drops a lot.

See web site Home:thumb::thumb:

Dave

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Fresh Water Tanks

Proberly the cheapest way to treat fresh water tanks is by using supermarket sterilising tablets these cost a fraction of the caravan market ones.
One example is asda little angels 56 sterilising tablets the box gives instructions for water purification and sterilising We always used puraclean for sterilising . untill an industrial chemist pointed out that most tablets were made by one firm. I clean our fresh water tank at least twice a year as we use the van all the time.

We also use a nature pure water filter

For the last year we have been using a product called ELSAN Elsil this is a drinking water purifier it is used in the aircraft industry for aircraft fresh water tanks they quote treated water lasting weeks.
they Quote it
complete sterilisation,effective against all organisums including bacteria,viruses,amoebas,fungiyeasts and spores.it is long lasting and prevents
recontamination.A 100ml pack treats 1000litres of water.

We also use these in our toilet waste tank.
These are easier to use than liquid and one sachet can be added to the toilet flush tank

WATER SOLUBLE TOILET SACHETS

ELSAN Blue Bags are Water soluble toilet sachets with a New improved formula. they provide a fast, clean, convenient way to charge your chemical toilet or cassette system. New Blue Bags provide the ultimate in convenience, and reliability with a concentrated Aerospace formula and certified storage stability.
see Welcome to the Elsan website you can order direct and orders were post free on our last order.

Regards Alf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back