Water Tank Miss Match Mistery! (2 Viewers)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My lovely 1990 AutoTrail Apache.....

I cleaned out the water tanks today, as I am new to the van and decided to measure them. I think that waste tank was just over half full looking at the meter, it drained about 60 something ltrs. So my guess is that is a 100ltr waste tank. I drained and filled the fresh water tank too - it is a 50 ltr tank.

So why the mismatch? I would have expected a larger fresh water tank.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Oddsocks

The answer may be - don't trust the gauge for the waste tank! Ours lies to us all the time. Unless a previous owner has changed the tanks for some reason.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What Sandra says :thumb:it is normal for the fresh tank to be larger than the waste but they could have done it the other way around simply by fitting what fits in the gap :winky: try measuring the tanks to compare
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Waste are usually smaller than fresh, i presume because we dont put all the fresh water into the waste, we use some for cups of tea etc

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What Terry says.. I think they they fit the tanks to suit the space.. but in my experience the fresh is generally smaller than the grey .. this means you don't need to dump so often.. but generally when you fetch fresh you dump grey anyway.

For example .. on our RV the fresh was 30 galls .. grey 50 gals and a 50 gal black ..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ours has a 100l fresh tank and 60l grey. This ratio works well as one tends to need emptying when the other needs filling. The fresh needs to be bigger as it also flushes the loo.

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all

Just been clambering around under the van. The grey is definitely twice the size of the fresh tank. Same width but twice as long. So it would not surprise me if it were 100L and the fresh only 50L.

I have separate water supply and tank for the toilet.

It does look like they have just filled the space available with the respective tanks. I wonder what informed their decision though, as either one could have been used for either purpose at build time. It should work out OK though, as we only use the fresh for washing, we don't drink the water from that tank. We buy big bottles for that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all

Just been clambering around under the van. The grey is definitely twice the size of the fresh tank. Same width but twice as long. So it would not surprise me if it were 100L and the fresh only 50L.

I have separate water supply and tank for the toilet.

It does look like they have just filled the space available with the respective tanks. I wonder what informed their decision though, as either one could have been used for either purpose at build time. It should work out OK though, as we only use the fresh for washing, we don't drink the water from that tank. We buy big bottles for that.

It shouldn't be a big job to swop the pipes over if you wanted it the other way round, but the problem would be if you could ever get all the grey matter out of the tank, probably hard to get in to in situ

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have another tank for the flush and use bottles for drinking water I think you may get away with such a small tank, unless you intend to use the shower a lot. I would see how you get on before rearranging anything.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It shouldn't be a big job to swop the pipes over if you wanted it the other way round, but the problem would be if you could ever get all the grey matter out of the tank, probably hard to get in to in situ

UURRRG -I would go down the new tank route rather than swop pipes -or better still leave it all alone -50 ltrs should last a few days :winky:On the ambulance I have a matching pair of 75ltr tanks and that can last several days depending on how we used it :thumb:I generally hear the water pump change tone giving me warning it's running low so then I make my way to fill up and empty :thumb:no fancy non working level gauges etc,just experience ::bigsmile:- I learn the hard way by once emptying both tanks to travel home and then Ann wanted the loo that is fed by the fresh tank :Doh: one ear bashing later :Eeek: never again ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back