Water tank level whilst driving. (1 Viewer)

CamR

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My Hymer manual suggests dumping all but 20L when travelling but also suggests not to exceed the maximum vehicle weight when filling the tank. I can see that if you are going on to a site where you can get water dumping the excess makes sense but what if you are wild camping ?

The dealership suggests it is OK to drive with a full tank.

What do people on here do in practice ?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I always travel with a full water tank and do not use all my payload. Always empty grey water tank before travelling.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never use campsites so fill when you can . mind be hard to go overweight in mine .
but remember water does splash around . i have seen some in underseat cupboards with very poor lids on the top. hymer are one of the culprits . if the lid doesnt fit well you could have water all over the place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We just spent last night away, I put 30 litres in before leaving home and another 5 litres in a bottle for kettle and cooking. That's what we always do regardless of how long we are going to be away. Water is plentiful in this country.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Depends where we are going but sometimes travel at about 20% other times full 160 litres.

You need the payload for it though.

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I normally travel full and then refill at every opportunity - but then we use camper-stops (aires) abroad. Make sure you have the payload to carry a full tank though by loading up with everything you need, full water, gas and diesel, then go to a weighbridge.

OP
OP
C

CamR

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks everyone, it looks like the 20L is a recommendation rather than a rule.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
aways travel full here, apart from coming home from France then its water out wine in, i dont mean fill the water tank with it :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
aways travel full here, apart from coming home from France then its water out wine in, i dont mean fill the water tank with it :)
better keep that tank for vodka or gin . possibly white rum . ha ha .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks everyone, it looks like the 20L is a recommendation rather than a rule.

It is a recommendation because that's the only way a lot of the converters can achieve the payload figures they claim.

1 litre of water weighs 1kg so by telling you to travel with 20% rather than full up they can add about 80kg (minimum, based on a 120l tank) back into their fantasy payload figures.

That's about 12 and a half stone so an adult passenger.

If you choose to travel full and are found to be overweight they can say "not our problem, you ignored the recommendation"

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I usually travel 50% or less but here in France I've been traveling full between Aires and I can tell I'm full on hills.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Topping up for the return journey .....

Vin Rouge.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We never travel full unless we have a pretty good idea that we won't be able to get water wherever we're going.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We always travel in our Exsis with a full tank when travelling South to Spain in December as a lot of the Aires have turned their water off and you never know where you will find a working tap.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We never carry any more than half a tank - often less. In 5 years of almost entirely wild camping we have never run out of water.
There is water available all over the place - if you look.

Also the fact that people carry gallons (160 KG +?) of water to a camp site and then worry about being overweight amazes me.:Eeek:

OP
OP
C

CamR

Free Member
Sep 11, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It is a recommendation because that's the only way a lot of the converters can achieve the payload figures they claim.

1 litre of water weighs 1kg so by telling you to travel with 20% rather than full up they can add about 80kg (minimum, based on a 120l tank) back into their fantasy payload figures.

That's about 12 and a half stone so an adult passenger.

If you choose to travel full and are found to be overweight they can say "not our problem, you ignored the recommendation"
This makes absolute sense. Thanks.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We always start with a full tank and refill when convenient.
I cannot see the point of having a built in tank to end up faffing about at the destination to fill it.
Of course if the payload prevents this then you have the wrong vehicle.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Always full fresh, empty grey where possible and it's like the best feeling ever, to get the black dumped along the way :)

I amaze myself at the places I've managed to empty the black, never been a problem. Also never run out of fresh either, there's lots of places to fill up when needed :)
https://greatbritishpublictoiletmap.rca.ac.uk

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
If wilding then a full tank and 2 x 8 litre bottles for the kettle, if an unknown destination then a full tank + 2 x 25 litre containers and the 2 x 8 litres, I don't like skimping on my shower. :LOL:

If going to a site then almost empty.

Hymie.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always travel with a full tank plus 2x20Lt containers in the garage. Never know when you will be able to next fill up with water.
My biggest gripe on our Exsis is the poxy small 100Lt tank.

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Winter when traveling south to Spain and Portugal usually a full tank, summer/autumn when taps on aires are still turned on and haven't frozen on the continent, then usually half a tank or enough for two full days, showering, washing etc.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have always travelled with a full tank of water and empty grey and black if possible. We don't use campsites and travel all year, so lack of or frozen taps at aires are never a problem
However, if you just travel between campsites, I can see the logic of transporting minimal amounts of water

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Interesting one this, we have travelled with tank empty, full part filled, not really thought about it too much.
was following John yesterday, he was in the van, when he went round a left hand bend on a slope, water poured out from under the van, stopped when he was on the level.
I got under the van for a look when we got home, fresh water overflow in the area the water came from, checked level in tank, fairly accurate said 3 quarter full. so may well travel with a maximum half tank in future.
I know it is fresh water, but others seeing it may think we are dumping waste water, enough bad press as it is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back