Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
We are full timers in our Autotrail Comanche which has standard manufactured insulated tanks. Bearing in mind the forecasted low temperatures, has none any experience or knowledge of what temperature insulated water tanks could or would freeze?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I was taught the freezing point of water was 0C - unless it's changed? However, on a serious note, I've found that it is prolonged minus temperatures are necessary to freeze the water tank, but it does not take much to freeze the water in the pick up hoses from the tank. Merely insulating the tank only delays the freezing!

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Wind chill has a lot to do with it. Fit 12v heater element to the fresh water tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
when i used to go all year round my tank was underneath the van, i went to wicks and bought some silver bouble insulation roll and duck tape and wrapped this around the tank a few times be careful of the overflow outlet this seemed to help.

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree with Diggerjohn. Insulation will only delay freezing, not prevent it. You really need a heater. CAK tanks probably the best place to buy from. Easy to install if you have a large removable drain cover on the underside of the tank. You need access to tighten the nut inside the tank!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I got my tank heater and tank insulation from CAK tanks. I also insulated the drainage pipes and water inlet pipes using waterproof pipe insulation.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Your van should already be wired for tank heaters, as its on the control panel above the door.. So just a matter of "plug and play"as I understand it...
I'll be interested to hear your resulting solution..
But as said, no good lagging without a heater..

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
not forgetting, that if an insulated tank does freeze it will take a lot longer to thaw out as well, so the only real option is a tank heater as above to prevent it in the first place

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wind chill has a lot to do with it.

sorry, but wind chill has nothing to do with it.. wind chill is the perceived decrease in air temperature felt by the body on exposed skin due to the flow of air and the evaporation of moisture .. you can feel this when after a swim in the sea and not dried off ..

as said, insulating tanks only delays the process of freezing..

I would only recommend fitting and using tank heaters if you plan to be on EHU .. otherwise you will have a flat battery in no time... resulting in frozen tanks and no way of heating the van..

Leave waste tank valve open and drain into a bucket .. you then dump large bucket shaped ice lollies each morning .. let it overflow if on a rough site or near the hedge

The best long term plan is to buy a van suitable for winter use which has both waste and fresh tanks and all pipework between floors and heated by the Truma hot air.

One of our members @jonandshell conducted a test with a tank heater in controlled conditions to see how long the battery lasted and if the water froze.. .. will look for the thread..

edit ..

thread here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cak-tanks-auto-defrost-element.92904/page-2

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used our van a couple of years ago during January and February driving around the midi Pyrenees and centre of France with un insulated tanks. Temperatures were down to -10 some nights and we never had a problem with frozen tanks or pipes. We kept our fresh tank full and emptied the waste tank every day. Our tanks and most of the pipe work is under the van and exposed.
We rarely stay in one place, but I would imagine if you are stopping a while in below zero temperatures, you would need to at least have tank heaters and be on EHU to power them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Best option if possible would be to take a feed of the blow air heating into the tank enclosure.
Although our Hymer does not have a proper double floor the tanks are in GRP enclosures insulated with styrofoam and heated by the blow air system.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
That's what our Adria has ( and presumably all others ) . there is a slide switch that diverts the hot air to tank . the fresh water is under dinette seat .
If you are living in your van in freezing conditions , eg. Skiing as above , freezing shouldn't be a problem whatever the outside temp.
I think I would prefer to leave waste valve open and divert heat into van in those conditions though !

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Thanks for all the replies. Thanks to Scotjimland for the link, very interesting. I appreciate that any insulation or tank heater elements will only delay the inevitable so I just wondered if anyone had knowledge of how long in time or a minus temperature the water inside a standard insulated tank would last.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've got a 2006 hymer, even the toilet cassette is warm lol

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
It's all about the constant temperature (staying below 0), water will freeze in the tank in hours in many ski resorts with night temp of -15 and critically day temp of -1 or -2. In the UK the day temp normally recovers above freezing which makes a big difference. Close the waste valve in the day and leave it open at night if your in the UK you will be fine.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back