Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Folks
Just bought a auto trail tracker and going through the menu on the control panel it says water tank heaters on off ? I assume therefore we have heaters in the tanks to stop from freezing in the winter?
Question one how can we be sure they are fitted, says nothing in the instructions?
Question two. Assuming we have them do I assume they are powered off the 12 volt system ?
Last but not least when do I put them on, only when it's cold or is it on a thermostat so I can leave on all the time and they just kick in when needed or would that burn them out when I forget and empty my tanks........

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Trouble is, Autotrail use the same control panel no matter what..
We have on our menu, tank heaters ( not fitted ) external pump ( not fitted ) and a couple of other things.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Is it a Sargent panel? We also had a tank heater button on the panel, when I pressed it, a light came on, leading me to believe the tanks were fitted with heaters. They weren't!
But, I bought and fitted internal frost heaters and bought a wiring loom from Sargent, so now when the button is pressed, it turns the heaters on. They are thermostatically controlled though so only come on when the water in the tank drops below about 3 degrees C.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NO....
It's a standard feature in the menu system but the tank heater is NOT fitted as standard it's an optional extra.
So you need to check with your dealers or Autotrail. Have the build number ready as they should tell from that.

The tank heaters do take a fair power drain so if you do have it be careful how you use it unless on EHU..

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
As we picking up an Autotrail Tracker fairly soon I will follow this thread with interest. We have been told that it has tank heaters fitted. As the motor home will be winterised and going into storage I would like to know that I can switch them off. As we are new to motor homes we have a lot to learn. I hope the answer is just making sure that the power is off. Another question to ask at handover!

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
As we picking up an Autotrail Tracker fairly soon I will follow this thread with interest. We have been told that it has tank heaters fitted. As the motor home will be winterised and going into storage I would like to know that I can switch them off. As we are new to motor homes we have a lot to learn. I hope the answer is just making sure that the power is off. Another question to ask at handover!

When you store your Tracker you will be emptying all tanks so they will be off(y)

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Hi.. all Frontier models have tank heaters as standard.. and they are fully winterised. On non Frontier models it's an optional extra.. I must say they should have them as standard across the ranges.. Our previous Apache 700 (2016 model) had it as an optional extra..

You can switch on and off manually although the heaters electronically shut on or off when it gets to a certain temperature.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck with your new Tracker. Good choice.
We just came back from Croatia and Slovenia in our EKS and did 2,500 trouble free miles.
It will be 3 years old next March and has 15,500 miles on the clock.
So DO enjoy yours.
Mitch.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
and they are fully winterised.

Depends on yours and others definition of "fully winterised"..
I very much doubt that you will ever see that term mentioned by Autotrail..

Generally a "fully winterised" van will have a double floor with all tanks and pipework encased and in some cases heated..
All Autotrails, even Frontiers have tanks under the floor within the chassis framework and at best they are lagged and insulated...

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Jenny and Mitch
Our soon to be Tracker eks is just 3 years old and also has 15,000 on the clock.

I suppose what I want reassuring about is that I can turn the heaters off and avoid a knackered leisure battery.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Hi.. all Frontier models have tank heaters as standard.. and they are fully winterised. On non Frontier models it's an optional extra.. I must say they should have them as standard across the ranges.. Our previous Apache 700 (2016 model) had it as an optional extra..

You can switch on and off manually although the heaters electronically shut on or off when it gets to a certain temperature.

Only the current year Frontiers have tank heaters as standard. Prior, it has always been a chargeable option.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I know it’s an old post
But how can I tell if I have a heater as said before there a button and light come on
I have an Autotrail Comanche 2011

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
Look underneath at the water tank, if there is a heater element you wii see two wires going into the side of the tank, if it is insulated you can probably still locate them, there are also level gauge wires there so look for two lots of wires, if there is two one could be the heater.

BernieT

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
There needs to be water in the tank to start with.
With nothing else powered.
Turn on the tank heaters.
With a volt meter or amp meter measure the draw from the leisure batteries.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There needs to be water in the tank to start with.
With nothing else powered.
Turn on the tank heaters.
With a volt meter or amp meter measure the draw from the leisure batteries.
Or could I just look at the panel in side

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back