LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Does anybody use one of these on their motorhome and if so is it any good. I understand you just connect it up and fill your tank what I want to know is. What happens when the tank is full.
IMG_4799.PNG

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Does anybody use one of these on their motorhome and if so is it any good. I understand you just connect it up and fill your tank what I want to know is. What happens when the tank is full.
View attachment 171254

Watching this one as I thought of getting one as mine doesn't like to fill very quickly with the hose just pushed in.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have one, I haven't put all the seals on that comes with it, it only dribbles when filling and then gushes out when full... you have to check that all your seals on the tank are good..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes, been using one for ages .. very useful & no problems.(y)

I do reduce the flow when I know tank is nearly full so as not to put excess strain on any joints.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Mikey I would take the end off your hose and shove it into the filler that way when your tank is full it can only come back out of the filler hole.

If I did not have a overflow on my tank I would not use it

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Mikey I would take the end off your hose and shove it into the filler that way when your tank is full it can only come back out of the filler hole.

If I did not have a overflow on my tank I would not use it

That's what I normally do Paul, just wondered if there was any advantage to having that little gadget. My tank does not have a overflow so had visions of it blowing the tank up if it could not leak out from that fitting. :eek: (y)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
The advantage is that you can leave the hose filling fresh water while you sort the loo cassette out as the waste water is draining. Saves a lot of time at aires and there is no danger of the hose falling out landing on the ground where someone else has just dumped their waste.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've got one and they come already set up so that once full the water then comes back out past the connector so you don't need to have an overflow on your tank, you can also have them without this but can't think why you'd particularly want to bother altering it for the sake of it! They are also able to fit a different size of water inlet - have a look at the detail on the websites.

I think it's good but unfortunately our camper has weird 'bend' in the filler pipe and a vertical tank so has a tendency to 'glug' a bit when we've used it so we've gone back to sticking the hose in and holding it ... shame as it would have been great not having to have telescopic arms to reach the tap, or need 2 of your to do the filling.

If anyone wants to buy mine (£17 delivered) which has only been used twice let me know, I don't have the packaging anymore but do have the bits and the instructions (cheapest on the web is £22 I think).

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
They are great, When you connect up to a higher pressure tap, my hose tends to shoot out of the filler so I turn the tap on slowly, however some taps have the push button which you need to press and hold. That's all cool... BUT try doing it when your camper is further away from the tap than arms length and you travel solo. (actually in cases like this I use a watering can or shove something in with the hose to jam it in the filler)

So.... this little doodat is a great invention. It's just the price of the bloody things that has stopped me from buying one! at aroung 20 quid its the principle of the rip off rather like a lot of camper accessories that prevent me from a purchase. The motorhome world is full of overpriced things like this. and its a real shame. Take plastic mirrorguards for instance!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We've got one and they come already set up so that once full the water then comes back out past the connector so you don't need to have an overflow on your tank, you can also have them without this but can't think why you'd particularly want to bother altering it for the sake of it! They are also able to fit a different size of water inlet - have a look at the detail on the websites.

I think it's good but unfortunately our camper has weird 'bend' in the filler pipe and a vertical tank so has a tendency to 'glug' a bit when we've used it so we've gone back to sticking the hose in and holding it ... shame as it would have been great not having to have telescopic arms to reach the tap, or need 2 of your to do the filling.

If anyone wants to buy mine (£17 delivered) which has only been used twice let me know, I don't have the packaging anymore but do have the bits and the instructions (cheapest on the web is £22 I think).

Ours sort of catches up with its self so we just run the tap slower and that solves the problem..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So.... this little doodat is a great invention. It's just the price of the bloody things that has stopped me from buying one! at aroung 20 quid its the principle of the rip off rather like a lot of camper accessories that prevent me from a purchase. The motorhome world is full of overpriced things like this. and its a real shame. Take plastic mirrorguards for instance!
To be fair it's not just a screw cap and bit of plastic pipe, but has the adaptor rings in for different set-ups/filler sizes and is quite solidly made so I don't think that it's bad for the price ... of course you could buy mine for £17. :D2

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
My MH doesn't have this style of filler, and I can just stuff the end of the hose down the filler, and it stays in place, regardless of the water pressure. Does that not work with this style of filler?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ours sort of catches up with its self so we just run the tap slower and that solves the problem..
Yes, we've tried that but unfortunately when on aires often you can't adjust the pressure as it's just one of the daft push-on taps and comes out like a ruddy rocket and our tank set-up doesn't like it!

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
To be fair it's not just a screw cap and bit of plastic pipe, but has the adaptor rings in for different set-ups/filler sizes and is quite solidly made so I don't think that it's bad for the price ... of course you could buy mine for £17. :D2

Thanks MG, I would love one, but Ill just keep jamming my pipe in the hole!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Very useful when only one person's available.
We have a white connector. I couldn't remember why so I looked it up:

http://www.**********s.com/heoswater-white-connection-p-155.html

http://www.**********s.com/heoswater-blue-connection-p-156.html
Can't use your links but the white ones were only for use with tanks with overflow and air pipes, whereas the blue one can be used with either set-up, hence why they only sell the blue one now I believe.

Reactions: CWH

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's what I normally do Paul, just wondered if there was any advantage to having that little gadget. My tank does not have a overflow so had visions of it blowing the tank up if it could not leak out from that fitting. :eek: (y)
There are 2 types one for tanks with an overflow/vent and one for non vented tanks.

Some of my hoses have connectors that are a bit smaller than the Hozelock ones they just fit in the filler neck and never fly out even with the highest water pressure.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for all replys and thanks minxy girl for offer but have now ordered one. (y)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
No not at all, even if I had to replace the whole filler system as most things are an easy fix on a motorhome, after all its just a box glued on the back of a van chassis. Not expensive, only a pipe, I have already had to "modify" the filling system because of the bloody stupid factory fitters using a air hose from the filler to the tank, that leaked from new, so I know it intimately!

That's one of the advantages of not being afraid and being able to repair and modify something made by a group of the lowest paid monkeys out of wood and plastic costing thousands!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've had one for a fair while... very useful and on now on the drive. Our tank has an overflow but if high pressure it can still come out of the cap too.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No not at all, even if I had to replace the whole filler system as most things are an easy fix on a motorhome, after all its just a box glued on the back of a van chassis. Not expensive, only a pipe, I have already had to "modify" the filling system because of the bloody stupid factory fitters using a air hose from the filler to the tank, that leaked from new, so I know it intimately!

That's one of the advantages of not being afraid and being able to repair and modify something made by a group of the lowest paid monkeys out of wood and plastic costing thousands!
Good for you, however I suppose it might be different on motorhome of a different make, for example the interior pipe on my Rapido A class is not very accessible, at least it not easily. Happily it was put together right.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I bought one after I lost the end of the hosepipento my water tank doh!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, we've tried that but unfortunately when on aires often you can't adjust the pressure as it's just one of the daft push-on taps and comes out like a ruddy rocket and our tank set-up doesn't like it!
The one for the was sur erdre like a jet wash, on weekends they used it to wash down mountain bikes

Joe

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Looks like a solution in search of a problem to me.

I just use normal hose, with a short length of extra hose permanently gaffer-taped to it about 6 inches back from the end...so that it fits snuggly into the filler hole on our MH and the extra bit of double-hose acts to wedge the pipe in place, but also acts as a breather too.
I just push the hose into the filler opening, it stays in place whilst filling until I decide to withdraw it.
Cost?
About 3p.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Looks like a solution in search of a problem to me.

I just use normal hose, with a short length of extra hose permanently gaffer-taped to it about 6 inches back from the end...so that it fits snuggly into the filler hole on our MH and the extra bit of double-hose acts to wedge the pipe in place, but also acts as a breather too.
I just push the hose into the filler opening, it stays in place whilst filling until I decide to withdraw it.
Cost?
About 3p.

Thats exactly what I stuff into my hole too

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I got one last year. The main advantage that I have experienced is that when filling up on aires and relais you never know the power of the water about to come out or how sensitive the tap is = many occasions when the "shoved in pipe" just flies out.....

As many have said it helps with multi tasking and also if I ask someone else to connect the hose on then I know it's done and won't come off.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Got one, love it and as a solo traveller think it is a great bit of kit. No more instances of the hose snaking all over the ground when it has shot out of the tank filler under pressure.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Some of my hoses have connectors that are a bit smaller than the Hozelock ones they just fit in the filler neck and never fly out even with the highest water pressure.

Yep, ours is the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back