LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi. Can someone tell me how I know if I have baffles in my fresh water tank, please? Thank you so much :)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The only way is to look.

How big is it? Small tanks don't need baffles.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The only way is to look.

How big is it? Small tanks don't need baffles.

It's 120L. I can't actually see the tank, as it's hidden under one of the seats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Just double-checked and it's 130L, so I was close enough. So, I shouldn't really travel with much in the tank, then?
Or snap it full... no room for movement then.
Personally, and this is only my view I would not be concerned with that amount of water sloshing about even without baffles.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have a 120 litre tank. I travel with it full as much as I can (you never know when you will find water next when travelling off grid) sometimes it's 50% full or less. Never really thought about it being an issue and never noticed it to be a problem.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
With the Bailey Autograph you can access the tank from indoors. Screw top of about 5", put your hand in to search for fishes, or baffles. Not found either as yet.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
seats fitted under the dinette bench seats are normally shaped to fit round the frame so the are baffled by virtue of the shape, under slung square tanks sometimes have a baffle fitted i had a tank made for my self build deliberately without a baffle so i could fit the connectors when i knew where i needed them and the manufacturer recommended a slightly thicker plastic to allow for surge

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
No Baffles ? Not a problem. Baffles could/may/might/might not (y) ..... cause problems when cleaning tank out . I try to not let the level drop below 50% when on the move. 100ltr. tank.
Tea Bag.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We have a 120 litre tank with no baffles in our Hymer. Always full when we leave home and when touring we take every opportunity to keep it that way. Never had any problems in the 40,000 miles we have travelled in the last 7 years.
Same. 150l. Usually travel full. No issue in 60k miles over 8 years. Can occasionally hear slosh but never affected handling.
No convinced consumption would change but can feel weight when braking. Can be reassuring in high winds that you have 150Kg balast low down.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had a 60 gallon tank in an RV with no bafflles. I fitted a tap so when we were wild camping I could block the overflow and fill it to the max. It was a square tank, but when over filled it, it looked fit to burst, almost completely round! Never had an issue with it, never felt it move even when half full, but it was a big van.

Reactions: HKF

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our van has a 230 litre tank, running transversely. Tall and narrow to fit but no baffles or issues either

• Informative
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Same. 150l. Usually travel full. No issue in 60k miles over 8 years. Can occasionally hear slosh but never affected handling.
No convinced consumption would change but can feel weight when braking. Can be reassuring in high winds that you have 150Kg balast low down.

It's not the fuel consumption I'm worried about. After Jim's thread about fresh water, my thoughts are with the strength of my tank and whether or not it has baffles to help prevent sloshing against a thinner tank.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I’ve never thought it was a real issue. But with manufacturers advising against. Who am I to argue. To tell people to ignore the makers advice, could prove costly.

But for me a maker who advises travelling with 20L either has no idea about motorhome use at all, or is a bad designer. Do makers have focus groups, if they do they must be either caravanners or accountants.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
r, my thoughts are with the strength of my tank and whether or not it has baffles to help prevent sloshing against a thinner tank.

Don’t worry too much. You could start a poll Have you ever had a water tank fail In normal use. Yes or No. I’d bet the yes column would be empty or as good as.

• Love It

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I’ve never thought it was a real issue. But with manufacturers advising against. Who am I to argue. To tell people to ignore the makers advice, could prove costly.

But for me a maker who advises travelling with 20L either has no idea about motorhome use at all, or is a bad designer. Do makers have focus groups, if they do they must be either caravanners or accountants.
Or desperate to save travelling weight due to a lack of payload. And yes, you do wonder how many have actually toured in a motorhome……..

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Don't worry about it. What do you propose to do if it hasn't got baffles and you'd 'like' some?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
With the world as it with wars, pandemics, warming, economic inflation, cost of living rises and City's failure to sign a left back, one of the last things I would worry about would be water sloshing about in my motorhome tank.

JJ :cool:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just double-checked and it's 130L, so I was close enough. So, I shouldn't really travel with much in the tank, then?
Most tanks are just plastic boxes with some shaped to fit the recess where they are but have never heard of any with baffles in.
We have a 120l tank under the bandwidth no baffles , but if your concerned that the water sloshes about then dont worry about it ,unless that is you are short on payload. A full tank of 130litres weighs 130kg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
With my 3.5 tonnes max van. I can only travel with a quarter tank so not much water to swish about. We are always off grid and have never failed to find water when we want some, in fact it's getting easier every year. We only half fill it on bath night and drain the grey tank ASAP.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
With my 3.5 tonnes max van. I can only travel with a quarter tank so not much water to swish about. We are always off grid and have never failed to find water when we want some, in fact it's getting easier every year. We only half fill it on bath night and drain the grey tank ASAP.
Appreciate you travel quarter tank for weight issues but in regards to possible handling issues (not that there will be any) but a quarter tank full tank is worse than a full tank.. more water... less spare room in tank therefore water cannot swish about as much as the water in your tank will...

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Appreciate you travel quarter tank for weight issues but in regards to possible handling issues (not that there will be any) but a quarter tank full tank is worse than a full tank.. more water... less spare room in tank therefore water cannot swish about as much as the water in your tank will...
Burstner have strict instructions to not travel with full tanks. They have special valve that only allows you to travel half full. I assume they have carried out tests as to the consequence and effect of half empty tanks.
I've never noticed any problems.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Burstner have strict instructions to not travel with full tanks. They have special valve that only allows you to travel half full. I assume they have carried out tests as to the consequence and effect of half empty tanks.
I've never noticed any problems.
Is that a stability or a weight issue??

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Don't worry about it. What do you propose to do if it hasn't got baffles and you'd 'like' some?

I don't understand your point. I'm trying to determine whether or not I have a suitable tank to cope with water sloshing around in it. If it's not suitable, I can mitigate any issues by not carrying water in it (or carrying very little).

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
With the world as it with wars, pandemics, warming, economic inflation, cost of living rises and City's failure to sign a left back, one of the last things I would worry about would be water sloshing about in my motorhome tank.

JJ :cool:

Good for you!

• Funny
Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Most tanks are just plastic boxes with some shaped to fit the recess where they are but have never heard of any with baffles in.
We have a 120l tank under the bandwidth no baffles , but if your concerned that the water sloshes about then dont worry about it ,unless that is you are short on payload. A full tank of 130litres weighs 130kg

Thank you. I was wondering, after reading Jim's article, that we may have a thinner tank with no baffles, fitted so the manufacturer could boast better payload. In that case, it might not have been wise to travel with it full, in case it was damaged. I'm trying to mitigate any worry when we travel, after having two awful breakdowns in France already (albeit in our truck, not the MoHo) and another breakdown in the MoHo (when the fuel filter failed). I'm trying to stop any worries so that i can try to enjoy the MoHo before I completely lose my nerve and sell it. Thank you for your nice reply. Some people seem to think it's fun being blase and gung-ho about the whole thing, and berating me for having a genuine concern. One of them is fast on their way to my Ignore List :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back