Water supply points at Campsites (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
At a campsite recently in Cambridge I filled up on arrival. I was confused at the time because the connection to the tap was different but fortunately I had the correct adapter to my hose.

When I went back to fill up again the next day I realised there were 2 taps on opposite sides of the pole. One was drinking water and the other, which I used the day before said waste water!

What had I been drinking? Where was this water being piped from? What it for?

P.S. no adverse effects noticed. Mind you mostly it was boiled for drinks- don't think I drink much straight from the tap.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a similar experience

It was at that stage you realise your kids can be good slaves if handled right, You can use them for all those jobs you don't want to do yourself; like polishing the motorhome, and collecting water.

One very hot weekend on a farm CL, A young James aged 12 struggling with two 20L water containers all weekend supplying copious shower water for me, his mum and two sisters.

I know they are heavy James, but two will balance you up and build your core muscles, you want to be as big and strong as your dad don't you? And other such coercions to lug the gallons of water.

Sunday afternoon I send james to get one last 20L so we had some water for the journey home, then i went to empty the elsan. You guessed it, when I reached the rather grotty disposal point; there was James filling up. My OI WHAT ARE YOU DOING, got the response that this was the tap he'd used all weekend. :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Much better to have the drinking water tap well away from the grey and black areas. That seems to be how most CL’s and CS’s do it,but I always double check as some sites seem to lack clarity.

I think you’re more likely to catch a bug from the hose or tap fitting than from the water itself. Unfortunately not everyone is careful,and it has been known for folk to rinse out their cassette with the drinking water tap. Oh dear,yuk!:sick::sick:(n)(n)

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
On an Aire in gorge verdon France i was warned against using one tap by a french guy. So used the other tap provided. Regularly people cleaned their cassette with the other tap then somebody else would drink from it .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Continuing the ‘slaves’ theme I sent James and Simon (John’s Cross & Alan Kerr) to get a couple of buckets of clean water to rinse stuff off as we were packing up after three weeks on a beach pitch in Spain, James about Ten, Simon about eight years old.

“Idiots, you didn’t rinse out the buckets, tipping it away, go and get some more”

Two disgruntled boys walk off mutterring.

More sandy water!

“Right, come with me“ marching over to the tap muttering, morons, imbeciles, do everything myself, it’s your Mothers fault!

“Its really simply, rinse the buckets under the running tap, and fill the buckets, I’d say an idiot could do it but” ............I looked in the freshly rinsed first bucket I’d filled, and now the water had stopped swirling, the bottom of the bucket not only had even more sand, but a Water Boatman beetle happily swimming around in it!

From memory I think that was the first time my kids took the piss out of me!

Worse, was the fact we’d used that tap and a hose pipe to fill the camper, all sixty gallons of it several times that holiday 🥴

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I had a similar experience

It was at that stage you realise your kids can be good slaves if handled right, You can use them for all those jobs you don't want to do yourself; like polish the motorhome, and collecting water.

One very hot weekend on a farm CL, A young James aged 12 struggling with two 20L water containers all weekend supplying copious shower water for me, his mum and two sisters.

I know they are heavy James, but two will balance you up and build your core muscles, you want to be as big and strong as your dad don't you? And other such coercions to lug the gallons of water.

Sunday afternoon I send james to get one last 20L so we had some water for the journey home, then i went to empty the elsan. You guessed it, when I reached the rather grotty disposal point; there was James filling up. My OI WHAT ARE YOU DOING, got the response that this was the tap he'd used all weekend. :doh:
Think its more about tap cross contamination as its both mains water.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Unlikely to be fed from a different supply than the other tap but you never know what has been near the tap although that can be the same with the drinking water taps.

I always use our own connectors and clean with an antibacterial wipe if in doubt.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Both will feed off the same supply. The one with waste water sign is used for flushing out totes, grey waste containers etc, may even have a short piece of hose on it which you won’t know where it’s been. That’s why you should always use the drinking water signed one for filling your water tank. (y)

Deleted User
I thought that any outlet with a conventional tap had to serve potable water. In Europe on one tap aires I have been known to take a very soapy rag to thoroughly clean it before use, I'm thinking this will kill most bacteria and I'm still here 🌝

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I was at a small but lovely festival a couple of years ago and noticed families filling their water bottles up at the Elsan point. There was a big sign above it saying 'drinking water'.

I dragged one of the organisers up to have a look at it. His response? 'I hope you're not planning on coming here again next year!'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back