Phoenix

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Driving yesterday in the very wet and windy conditions made me think about the excessive water spray from HGV's, Buses, large vehicles etc. I thought they were introducing measures to make new vehicles fit some kind of suppression system. Is it no longer a requirement or was it a voluntary thing?

Chris

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Chris
Don't know what else they can put on HGV's to keep spray down as an HGV driver it seems to me that the spray is caused by the tyres throwing up water and the wind (slip stream) blowing it about, what can they do about the wind?

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We've a spray curtain on the back of our RV, but the rear view camera still shows the spray that follows us around on wet roads. There's no way they can legislate for that, surely?:Blush:

Bob and Di

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am not sure about the exact law but yes trucks do legally need some spray suppression fitted. Normall mud flaps with little spikes facing the tyres. Some have a lot more on and some have very litle. But there are some exemptions like skip/bin/tipper etc. Trucks. So if you get behing one of these you will not be able to see.

BTW Michelin do a spray supression tyre for trailor 385/65R22.5 fitment, but due to cost not many get sold.

Richard...

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Unfortunately Spray Suppression equipment will never do the job totally, as if you ever go through mud, this sticks to the spray suppression equipment and can dry baked on. I have seen truck mudguards pulled off with the weight of mud especially on milk tankers.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
At present i only have mud flaps on the RV but find it unbelievable how dirty my car gets being towed behind.

On the 40 miles back from the Welsh meet looked as it had taken part in the rally section held here just after out meet.

Do the dirt skirts really work that well?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back